NFL Thread 2019-2020

21 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It could also simply be that Trubisky is bad and his game has been figured out.  Remember what the Packers players said about making Trubisky throw the ball because he will lose the game?

Teams rarely catch up to a quarterback. It's the plays they catch up to.

27 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

So it's Nagy's fault that Trubisky went to shit? Really? Trubisky admitted after a terrible week 1 that he wasn't right mentally.

Maybe Nagy wasn't calling for runs because 1) his OL sucks and 2) the opposing DC's were loading the box because the QB was literally no threat at all.

Look, I worded my post the way I did on purpose. Good *head coach* with *decent* gameplans. I didn't say spectacular. But Andy Reid did just fine this year with a bottom third running game. I wonder why

Trubiskey had a pretty good year the year before then regressed. 

Andy Reid might be able to call plays nagy cant

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He obviously can do some throwing as he had a decent year the before. 

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Trubiskey had a pretty good year the year before then regressed. 

Andy Reid might be able to call plays nagy cant

He really didn't. He had 2 great games and the rest were anywhere from good enough to bad

His decent year still wasn't anything special and was incredibly aided by a defense that put him in short field situations due to turnovers and gave him the lead or held the lead for him as well.

Nothing Trubisky has done in the NFL really shows he will be a successful QB.  He still is young enough and talented enough I think to turn things around but as of yet he is a below avg QB that in all likelihood won't start a full season again given his current production to date.  We almost might be better off with Marcus Marriota and I really hope he isn't the option they bring in behind Mitch.

1 minute ago, GoodAsGould said:

His decent year still wasn't anything special and was incredibly aided by a defense that put him in short field situations due to turnovers and gave him the lead or held the lead for him as well.

Nothing Trubisky has done in the NFL really shows he will be a successful QB.  He still is young enough and talented enough I think to turn things around but as of yet he is a below avg QB that in all likelihood won't start a full season again given his current production to date.  We almost might be better off with Marcus Marriota and I really hope he isn't the option they bring in behind Mitch.

Never said it was special. However when the performance goes from decent to awful, the only reason would be coaching.

I dont think either one of them are any good this year and nagy didnt do trubiskey any favors. Hopefully nagy learned from this year. Its only his second d year so he could.

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Never said it was special. However when the performance goes from decent to awful, the only reason would be coaching.

I dont think either one of them are any good this year and nagy didnt do trubiskey any favors. Hopefully nagy learned from this year. Its only his second d year so he could.

That's the only reason? Like, he just couldn't have regressed because he got worse on his own? 

You know how stupid that sounds, right?

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

That's the only reason? Like, he just couldn't have regressed because he got worse on his own? 

You know how stupid that sounds, right?

I dont know how that sounds stupid. How does a guy get less talented as a 24 year old? If he just played worse, he still has the talent to play like he did then year before. And if he was just playing worse shouldn't a coach that is supposed to be a quarterback whisperer be able to help him. 

Edited by ptatc

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I dont know how that sounds stupid. How does a guy get less talented as a 24 year old? If he just played worse, he still has the talent to play like he did then year before. And if he was just playing worse shouldn't a coach that is supposed to be a quarterback whisperer be able to help him. 

No one said he got less talented. We said he got worse as a football player. Teams took away his best attribute. They disguised more coverages. Opposing teams made fun of him. The coach said he needs to master elementary shit. He's completely lost it mentally. When that goes, it all goes. What favors should Nagy do him? Teams are stacking the box and spying him as a runner. Tons of All 22 footage came out during the year displaying multiple receivers open and he either didn't see them or missed the throw. Want Nagy to go out there and throw passes, too?

Edited by soxfan49

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

No one said he got less talented. We said he got worse as a football player. Teams took away his best attribute. They disguised more coverages. Opposing teams made fun of him. The coach said he needs to master elementary shit. He's completely lost it mentally. When that goes, it all goes. What favors should Nagy do him? Teams are stacking the box and spying him as a runner. Tons of All 22 footage came out during the year displaying multiple receivers open and he either didn't see them or missed the throw. Want Nagy to go out there and throw passes, too?

All of that is a coach's job. Nagy obviously had confidence in him when he only called 6 runs in an entire game. I'm not saying his a great just that when a player regresses that much, the coach has fault in it as well.

There are so many variables that go into the success or failure of a QB: 

Scheme fit

Coaching 

Play Calling 

Offensive Line

Processing the game/reading defenses

Existence of a run game (or lack thereof) 

WR/TE talent

If you look at this objectively, most are out of the QB's control and Trubisky had the worst situation of the three QBs. 

Not making excuses for him, but he certainly hasn't been given a lot of the tools necessary to be successful at the QB position. His inability to read defenses well is definitely on him. However, it's up to the playcaller to recognize that and cover for him to the best of his ability. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ptatc said:

All of that is a coach's job. Nagy obviously had confidence in him when he only called 6 runs in an entire game. I'm not saying his a great just that when a player regresses that much, the coach has fault in it as well.

I’ve got a hot take for you...  they both suck at their jobs.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I normally almost agree with everything you say but I think this is a completely off base.  Players aren't machines they don't always necessarily get better, it isn't as black and white as that.  I do agree that Nagy's play calling sometimes did leave a lot to be desired but was that due to him or due to the fact Mitch wasn't competent.  On top of that there were reports all off-season long about the Mitch not doing well and the offensive struggles everyone chose to disbelieve due to the thought he had to improve given he was young.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Oh, the Green Bay game? They literally told everyone postgame their gameplan was to make him throw the ball. Remember? "We wanted to make him play quarterback." They took any run game out of the question for the Bears.

Fast forward to the LAC game where despite a great run game, the idiot still turned the ball over in the 4th quarter in horrific fashion.

But yeah, that was all on the coach.

42 minutes ago, GoodAsGould said:

I normally almost agree with everything you say but I think this is a completely off base.  Players aren't machines they don't always necessarily get better, it isn't as black and white as that.  I do agree that Nagy's play calling sometimes did leave a lot to be desired but was that due to him or due to the fact Mitch wasn't competent.  On top of that there were reports all off-season long about the Mitch not doing well and the offensive struggles everyone chose to disbelieve due to the thought he had to improve given he was young.

A better example might be Baker Mayfield having a real coach in 2020...talking about regression in his second season. So much of the game is psychological, and momentum going against you is hard to turn around.  There are so many variables at play beyond pure talent level.

Edited by caulfield12

45 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Congrats on “knowing” that a 7 point favorite would win. So bold of you. Who’s going to win the Super Bowl genius?

They had so many close wins...just a few really impressive ones, and there just seemed to be no way they were going to win outside of Lambeau’s frozen tundra-like conditions.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They had so many close wins...just a few really impressive ones, and there just seemed to be no way they were going to win outside of Lambeau’s frozen tundra-like conditions.

I mean, if the White Sox win 100 close games this year and advance to the ALCS I’d consider it a huge success.

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They beat the Chiefs, Seahawks and Vikings 3 times. I wouldn't say they didn't have impressive wins