NFL Thread 2019-2020

This is the problem with the Bears fanbase.....Every QB brought in is held to the Tom Brady standard, otherwise they're trash. Just being good isn't good enough. The Bears QB must be the best to ever play the game...or else. I swear to god the Bears fanbase has the highest standards for what makes an acceptable QB for a team that has barely had competence at the position over the last 70 years. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is the problem with the Bears fanbase.....Every QB brought in is held to the Tom Brady standard, otherwise they're trash. Just being good isn't good enough. The Bears QB must be the best to ever play the game...or else. I swear to god the Bears fanbase has the highest standards for what makes an acceptable QB for a team that has barely had competence at the position over the last 70 years. 

Lmao this is rich coming from you

• Like 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao this is rich coming from you

I've realized that this is a problem and adjusted accordingly. It wasn't just me, it's nearly everyone. My attitude is let's develop a competent QB first before developing a HOF QB. The Bears haven't even accomplished that. The only competent QBs the Bears have had that I can actually remember were acquired via trade or Free Agency (Cutler and Kramer when healthy) 

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've realized that this is a problem and adjusted accordingly. It wasn't just me, it's nearly everyone. My attitude is let's develop a competent QB first before developing a HOF QB. The Bears haven't even accomplished that. The only competent QBs the Bears have had that I can actually remember were acquired via trade or Free Agency (Cutler and Kramer when healthy) 

Are you saying Kyle Orton, Henry Burris, Kordell Stewart, etc would've been GREAT if it wasn't for the fans?

44 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Are you saying Kyle Orton, Henry Burris, Kordell Stewart, etc would've been GREAT if it wasn't for the fans?

No, those guys suck. But there's an incredible amount of pressure on any Bears QB drafted in the 1st round. They carry around the 70 years of failure on their backs. 

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not trying to be a dick, but are you actually insane?  There is no Bears fan more guilty of this than you.  Like I’ve had to do four takes to ensure I am responding to the right person because there is no way Jack Parkman could have written the above post.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not trying to be a dick, but are you actually insane?  There is no Bears fan more guilty of this than you.  Like I’ve had to do four takes to ensure I am responding to the right person because there is no way Jack Parkman could have written the above post.

Cutler and Trubisky deserve that scrutiny because of where they were picked and the acquisition cost. I already said I was as guilty of it as anyone, but I can't deny that has an effect on these guys. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cutler and Trubisky deserve that scrutiny because of where they were picked and the acquisition cost. I already said I was as guilty of it as anyone, but I can't deny that has an effect on these guys. 

There is pressure on every QB drafted high or acquired for a lot. Chicago, New York, Arizona. It doesn't matter

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Looks like Nick Foles is available...

HE is probably a more realistic version of who the Bears go for. He'd sign as a backup but is someone the Bears could turn to in the short-term if Mitch is real bad.  I don't think they are going to target a true starter this year? The odd part is, this would be the year to do it with some of the guys possibly out there (Cam / Winston /  Carr, etc). I presume a Foles / Mariotta is who they get.   Dalton, if he is okay not being handed a starting job (which I can't imagine will be the case).  

11 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

HE is probably a more realistic version of who the Bears go for. He'd sign as a backup but is someone the Bears could turn to in the short-term if Mitch is real bad.  I don't think they are going to target a true starter this year? The odd part is, this would be the year to do it with some of the guys possibly out there (Cam / Winston /  Carr, etc). I presume a Foles / Mariotta is who they get.   Dalton, if he is okay not being handed a starting job (which I can't imagine will be the case).  

Foles's contract is so big I can't figure out how the Bears could make it work this year. I don't know all the details of cap hits and trades, but he's sitting on a $15 million salary this year, so taking that contract on means the Bears need something like $15 million in cap space available and they're right up against it.  There are ways they could do that a-la what happened with Tannehill - converting a whole lot of that contract to a signing bonus so that it gets stuck onto the Jags's cap in 2020 and 2021, but compared to going out and just signing a Dalton or a Mariota, Foles seems to be much harder to work with. 

I could see one of the teams with a lot of cap space (Miami? Tampa Bay? Buffalo?) being willing to take him on if the Jags threw in a draft pick or two as a sweetener and that would be far easier. 

I find it annoying that the bears aren't going after Brady. It reminds me of 2013, when Andy Reid becomes available, and the bears are just like publicly not in on him and are interviewing trestman. Now is the roster that you stretch yourself for. At least try to make it work. But this "go for competition not new starter" is so idiotic, just try to get something not often available. 

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

I find it annoying that the bears aren't going after Brady. It reminds me of 2013, when Andy Reid becomes available, and the bears are just like publicly not in on him and are interviewing trestman. Now is the roster that you stretch yourself for. At least try to make it work. But this "go for competition not new starter" is so idiotic, just try to get something not often available. 

He'd be sensible but seriously, how do you get Tom Brady when you have $15 million in cap space total right now? You've got to clear $30 million for Brady before even counting your draft holds, so where is that extra $15 million going to come from? 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He'd be sensible but seriously, how do you get Tom Brady when you have $15 million in cap space total right now? You've got to clear $30 million for Brady before even counting your draft holds, so where is that extra $15 million going to come from? 

He's played for less before, and you could cut leonard floyd and extend and restructure allen robinson to lower his cap hit in 2020.

Just now, bmags said:

He's played for less before, and you could cut leonard floyd and extend and restructure allen robinson to lower his cap hit in 2020.

Tom Brady is not taking less to come to the Bears this year I think we all know that. If he's giving a team a discount he can simply stay with the Pats; if he leaves it's because he's tired of giving the Pats a discount and wants to be paid and treated like the GOAT. And those 2 moves still leave the Bears not having enough cap space to sign Brady and their draft picks. So keep going, you need another $8 million more, maybe $13 million more if someone like Oakland pushes Brady's deal up to the highest QB salary in the league. 

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not annoyed. Brady just doesn't have a lot of time left (and I'm like Brady's #1 fan) and while there was a lot to blame for the Patriots offense struggling, I do think Brady was part of that issue (meaning, he is no longer a top 3 QB).  The only guy I think it is annoying we aren't evaluating is Cam. I say that because if he's healthy he still has a number of years of upside in his game. That said, he probably isn't the best fit for Nagy's system/scheme.  Ultimately I think the best strategy is see if Mitch is the guy and have a solid back-up in place who can be used to evaluate other things. If Mitch isn't the guy, than you need to swing big again in the draft or stick with a solid veteran (manageable QB) and focus on having a stellar defense and good pieces surrounding the offense (good ground game, etc).  

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tom Brady is not taking less to come to the Bears this year I think we all know that. If he's giving a team a discount he can simply stay with the Pats; if he leaves it's because he's tired of giving the Pats a discount and wants to be paid and treated like the GOAT. And those 2 moves still leave the Bears not having enough cap space to sign Brady and their draft picks. So keep going, you need another $8 million more, maybe $13 million more if someone like Oakland pushes Brady's deal up to the highest QB salary in the league. 

Got it, sorry, I forgot you were tom brady.

For bears to go after brady, it should just signal a stark move from trubisky. Without trubisky, the long term cap planning that expected a huge QB deal next year and year after doesn't exist. They can do a probably stupid but fine deal that puts him at 3 years with an option bonus for year 2 or 3, and a signing bonus that prorates across the rest. He can get 30 million this year without it being a salary cap 30 million.

The bears should then be offering brady the keys to a team with a great defense and an offer to go on a late run in his career. 

Not going after Brady is still living in fantasy land that giving Trubisky a gap year suddenly makes him not garbage.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Got it, sorry, I forgot you were tom brady.

For bears to go after brady, it should just signal a stark move from trubisky. Without trubisky, the long term cap planning that expected a huge QB deal next year and year after doesn't exist. They can do a probably stupid but fine deal that puts him at 3 years with an option bonus for year 2 or 3, and a signing bonus that prorates across the rest. He can get 30 million this year without it being a salary cap 30 million.

The bears should then be offering brady the keys to a team with a great defense and an offer to go on a late run in his career. 

Not going after Brady is still living in fantasy land that giving Trubisky a gap year suddenly makes him not garbage.

I will caveat, if I was Brady, I would be all over the  Bears pitch.  

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm not annoyed. Brady just doesn't have a lot of time left (and I'm like Brady's #1 fan) and while there was a lot to blame for the Patriots offense struggling, I do think Brady was part of that issue (meaning, he is no longer a top 3 QB).  The only guy I think it is annoying we aren't evaluating is Cam. I say that because if he's healthy he still has a number of years of upside in his game. That said, he probably isn't the best fit for Nagy's system/scheme.  Ultimately I think the best strategy is see if Mitch is the guy and have a solid back-up in place who can be used to evaluate other things. If Mitch isn't the guy, than you need to swing big again in the draft or stick with a solid veteran (manageable QB) and focus on having a stellar defense and good pieces surrounding the offense (good ground game, etc).  

Tom Brady not being a good fit for Nagy's scheme is a hilarious statement (against nagy). There was a rundown from Schatz (I believe) from FO that reviewed brady's season and gave a surprisingly positive review. In a radio interview he actually gave the bears the best marks as places for brady to land.

This could certainly blow up, but hey, it's nearing that way anyway.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I will caveat, if I was Brady, I would be all over the  Bears pitch.  

If I could give you two offseasons:

In A) the bears sign tom brady to an almost certainly too long 3 year deal with cap massaging, and a bunch of discount buys in OL/DE/TE AND spend a 2nd rounder on Fromm

In B) the bears get a discount on Dalton, get a decent TE (hell, even hooper) and use draft for OL, FS and DL depth

I know I'm doing A, even with the risks of atrophy in performance of defense and huge variables of lack of TE.

29 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

If I'm Tom Brady, I take one look at that Bears OL and lack of talent on offense and do a hard pass. 

I would like to see this bears oline perform with a quarterback who can do presnap reads and coverage adjustments, and like, hit receivers in stride, before making these judgments. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would like to see this bears oline perform with a quarterback who can do presnap reads and coverage adjustments, and like, hit receivers in stride, before making these judgments. 

Now they have a QB who can at least run.  Brady was never that mobile, but he is a statue now.  

Bears could upgrade at RG, not sure what they are going to do at OT, both are below average. 

I would say they could sign some free agents, but not if they have to pay Brady 30 million. 

Yeah, it's gonna be realllly tough to put a team around Brady if he's getting 30+. Cutting Floyd gets you to right around that 30 number. Extending Robinson could probably get you, what another 10 million? 

Who's your number 2 CB? Your other ILB? Your other OLB? Your other Safety(I think HaHa was a 1 year deal right?)? All of a sudden, the elite defense you're selling Brady on has quite a few question marks before even addressing the 2 or 3 holes on the OL and lack of TE.