NFL Thread 2019-2020

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Can they cut Mitch and save any cap space? 

Mitch's entire cap hit this year is dead money. There's no reason to cut him. If he doesn't fetch you back something in a trade you have to keep him.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

And back to being the Bears...

Well...I said Bridgewater made sense if those in the coaching room though Mitch was awful.  If they think Mitch is more 50/50 of potentially taking next steps (or even 30 or 40% possible), than I think these two moves make a lot of sense.  Foles to me means Mitch is the guy with Foles as a plan B.  Dalton would indicate a wide open competition between the two (imo).  Dalton is only 2 years older than Teddy.  

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not sure I find those to be much different than bridgewater...in all honesty

Foles is very overrated. He's a good back-up who in a pinch can be mediocre at best. Bridgewater and Dalton are both better, with Bridgewater having a bit of upside given the general unknown of him being a LT starter (since his original gruesome injury with Vikings).  Dalton I think is a pretty nice approach because you aren't going long-term with him...that is all dependent on not having to give up a bunch of draft capital.  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Foles is very overrated. He's a good back-up who in a pinch can be mediocre at best. Bridgewater and Dalton are both better, with Bridgewater having a bit of upside given the general unknown of him being a LT starter (since his original gruesome injury with Vikings).  Dalton I think is a pretty nice approach because you aren't going long-term with him...that is all dependent on not having to give up a bunch of draft capital.  

Has bridgewater ever had a run as good as two of foles runs in his career?

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Has bridgewater ever had a run as good as two of foles runs in his career?

I am not a big Nick Foles fan.  I think Bridgwater has shown he's a pretty solid QB and has never been not solid.  Foles on the other hand has had plenty of runs where he has been a lousy QB.  To that point, he had one fantastic hot streak.  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am not a big Nick Foles fan.  I think Bridgwater has shown he's a pretty solid QB and has never been not solid.  Foles on the other hand has had plenty of runs where he has been a lousy QB.  To that point, he had one fantastic hot streak.  

I would argue that in addition, Bridgewater has led a pretty charmed life with his circumstances. He's never been asked to do much, consistently had good defenses.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28912356/colts-trade-1st-round-pick-49ers-dt-deforest-buckner

The Indianapolis Colts have acquired defensive tackle DeForest Buckner from the San Francisco 49ers for the 13th overall pick in this year's NFL draft, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Buckner already has agreed to a new contract with Indianapolis that will pay him $21 million per year, the source said. That will make him the second-highest-paid defensive tackle in the NFL, behind Aaron Donald of the Los Angeles Rams.

Trading the 13th pick takes away the option of selecting a quarterback in the first round for the Colts. They could still select one in the later rounds, sign a free agent at the position or keep Jacoby Brissett as their starter next season.

At least Mariota is close to a deal with the Raiders already so Pace can’t sign him too.  Fire the guy already.  Pace is awful.  Or at least have someone else pick a TE.

Bears signed TE Jimmy Graham, formerly of the Packers, to a two-year, $16 million contract.

GM Ryan Pace has an infatuation with free-agent tight ends, though none of them have ever worked out for him, dating back to Dion Sims and Trey Burton. Graham was released by the Packers last week and looks washed as he heads into his age-34 season. Graham did very little with Aaron Rodgers, so we're not going to hold our breath with him in Chicago where he'll play with Mitchell Trubisky or possibly Nick Foles or Andy Dalton, who have been linked to the Bears in trade rumors.

$10 million guaranteed for Dion Sims.

$18 million guaranteed for Trey Burton.

Wasted a 2nd round pick on Adam Shaheen.

$9 million guaranteed for Jimmy Graham.

Simply amazing.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Is Pace just working in the year 2013?

They had a massive hole at TE, but Graham has proven he is a shell of the former player he was.  That said, there weren't a hole lot of options at TE. I certainly would have preferred Enron, who despite some drop issues, is young and athletic.  I guess the bright side, they can largely walk away from him in a year.  They also completely backloaded the Danny T deal, another example of where I don't like Pace (he consistently kicks the can down the road and I just think that is a flawed approach, with very rare exception...I.e, you have a great team you are trying to put across the top).  

I don't think I've ever seen Bill B and the Pats kick the can down the road though and I never get how so many franchises do it. Bill B builds a surplus / war chest so he can always be nimble without ever having to worry about kicking the can down the road.