NFL Thread 2019-2020

I don't love the move (mainly because they gave up a draft pick).  But I can at least appreciate the fact that they haven't mortgaged a ton in the future and are at least now positioned to move away if they truly think the QB is getting in the way. Foles isn't great, but he is good enough to show us whether we have bigger issues or not and he certainly has shown he's good enough to win some big games, when surrounded with the right pieces.  

Ideally Mitch steps up and crushes it with the newfound competition (vs. wilts away). Either way, I expect a real competition, although I would suspect Mitch has a slight headstart and best case is obviously Mitch using this as FIRE to get better. Defense is going to be more disrupt if Quinn plays anywhere near as good as he did last year (dude flat out got after the QB and that should make Mack more dangerous).  I don't love the off-season but I'll at least give Pace credit for being bold.  I sure hope we don't trade up and that we can finally enter next year with all of our picks (it also looks like the Bears are in position to get a few compensatory picks).  Don't love the Graham signing but TE is such an issue. Ideally Burton is healthy (he's solid if he is) and if so, that means Bears have at least depth at the position.  They still need to find a young TE whom they can actually groom.  

Did Ebron sign yet? I still would have preferred him given the fact that he's young and still has upside (vs. Graham).  At least none of these 3 moves have major implications on the LT cap (since all pretty much can be erased in 1-2 years without any major dead capspace).  

4 hours ago, The Beast said:

Is it worth getting a bruiser back to go with Montgomery and Cohen in the backfield?

Girley is very good when healthy.  Rams didn't trust his health but Girley had some solid games when they actually gave him the rock. Good hands too.  I'd take anything that gave the Bears a real running game, especially since Montgomery is as vanilla as it gets.  Nothing special about him (nice guy...but dime a dozen back).  I don't think Bears have cap space. 

I was bummed...I was really hoping we'd land Cam...get lucky and he'd actually be healthy. Chargers have to get Cam, which could be a coup.  IF the dude is healthy, he's still an elite player.  

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Girley is very good when healthy.  Rams didn't trust his health but Girley had some solid games when they actually gave him the rock. Good hands too.  I'd take anything that gave the Bears a real running game, especially since Montgomery is as vanilla as it gets.  Nothing special about him (nice guy...but dime a dozen back).  I don't think Bears have cap space. 

I was bummed...I was really hoping we'd land Cam...get lucky and he'd actually be healthy. Chargers have to get Cam, which could be a coup.  IF the dude is healthy, he's still an elite player.  

It looks like Gurley signed with Atlanta. Ever since the Bears traded Howard, I felt like they have needed a larger back to get short yardage when needed and get some long yards consistently. We have a small sample size in Montgomery, but he needs another back aside from Cohen to complement him.

Some of the moves they have made have added to the roster, like Foles, but some are questionable since they cost a lot. They are risking it playing with young cornerbacks on defense and they have lost a lot of solid depth on the offensive line and at the linebacker position. It will be interesting to see what Pace does and if he can get Robinson to sign an extension and free  up some cap room to make other moves.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

It looks like Gurley signed with Atlanta. Ever since the Bears traded Howard, I felt like they have needed a larger back to get short yardage when needed and get some long yards consistently. We have a small sample size in Montgomery, but he needs another back aside from Cohen to complement him.

Some of the moves they have made have added to the roster, like Foles, but some are questionable since they cost a lot. They are risking it playing with young cornerbacks on defense and they have lost a lot of solid depth on the offensive line and at the linebacker position. It will be interesting to see what Pace does and if he can get Robinson to sign an extension and free  up some cap room to make other moves.

Montgomery and gurley are roughly the same size. It was poor the blocking and zero holes created by the Bears OL. Not that montgomery showed much but it wasn't the size.

Edited by ptatc

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Montgomery and gurley are roughly the same size. It was poor the blocking and zero holes created by the Bears OL. Not that montgomery showed much but it wasn't the size.

Montgomery showed a lot when the line opened up holes for him. The problem is that wasn't often enough. Can't rack up yds rushing when you're getting hit in the backfield more than any RB in the NFL(IIRC) 

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Montgomery showed a lot when the line opened up holes for him. The problem is that wasn't often enough. Can't rack up yds rushing when you're getting hit in the backfield more than any RB in the NFL(IIRC) 

I still think they need another large running back since I don’t consider Cohen to be that guy. Nall isn’t that guy either. Maybe they’ll get one in the draft.

28 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I still think they need another large running back since I don’t consider Cohen to be that guy. Nall isn’t that guy either. Maybe they’ll get one in the draft.

Not exactly a lot of draft picks available for the Bears right now?

On 3/18/2020 at 11:27 PM, Chisoxfn said:

Did Ebron sign yet? I still would have preferred him given the fact that he's young and still has upside (vs. Graham).

You are correct.  Ebron is only 26 and has upside.  Graham is washed up.  And I guess the answer is, Pace valued Graham at $9 million guaranteed over Ebron at $12 million, and that’s without knowing the guaranteed portion of Ebron’s deal.  Pace is awful.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You are correct.  Ebron is only 26 and has upside.  Graham is washed up.  And I guess the answer is, Pace valued Graham at $9 million guaranteed over Ebron at $12 million, and that’s without knowing the guaranteed portion of Ebron’s deal.  Pace is awful.

Word is that Ebron wanted to go somewhere with an established, legit QB. He had zero interest in the Bears. 

50 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This is horrific.  Ebron is better than Jimmy Graham and is going to be cheaper.  This was a HUGE miss on Pace's fault. Not that we should be shocked given his ability to evaluate the position.  

45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Word is that Ebron wanted to go somewhere with an established, legit QB. He had zero interest in the Bears. 

He had said on multiple occasions he wanted to play with Mitch (I think they knew each other from college).  

Ebron has stone hands, this doesn't bother me at all.  He had one good season, despite Stafford and Luck being his qbs for all but one season.  I'm not the biggest fan of an old Graham but you all acting like we missed out on a great TE are making me laugh.