NFL Thread 2019-2020

34 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Cooks on the move again.

What in the everloving F*** is wrong with their coachGM? 

Traded Hopkins for a 2nd round pick, then traded away a 2nd round pick for Brandin Cooks? And between Cooks and Cobb they have Hopkins's cap hit? 

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What in the everloving F*** is wrong with their coachGM? 

Traded Hopkins for a 2nd round pick, then traded away a 2nd round pick for Brandin Cooks? And between Cooks and Cobb they have Hopkins's cap hit? 

Not to mention Cooks massive concussion history on top of that. Bill O'Brien... the gift that keeps on giving.

29 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not to mention Cooks massive concussion history on top of that. Bill O'Brien... the gift that keeps on giving.

They have Cobb, Cooks, Stills, and Fuller and all of them are downfield threats and all of them have injury problems. Since you can't play them all I guess the right strategy is that one of them should be healthy each game? 

I would have liked Cooks. I still go back to, it is too bad Pace mortgaged so much draft capital. Would have been great to be able to be more aggressive in situations like this.  That said, Cooks is such an injury risk (given the concussions) that I'm surprised he went for a 2nd round pick (net net...Houston got a 4th back, so call it a 3rd rounder for Cooks).  

11 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would have liked Cooks. I still go back to, it is too bad Pace mortgaged so much draft capital. Would have been great to be able to be more aggressive in situations like this.  That said, Cooks is such an injury risk (given the concussions) that I'm surprised he went for a 2nd round pick (net net...Houston got a 4th back, so call it a 3rd rounder for Cooks).  

He's not a bad player, but if you have a 2nd round pick this year, in a legendarily deep WR class, well you just talked about why mortgaging draft picks is a bad idea.

One injury or concussion for Cooks and they will have given that pick up for 1 year of the player, because yes he's cuttable, but that's a high price for potentially 1 year of the player. If you need a WR and you have 2 second round picks this year, go draft one. You might run into an all pro in the middle of the second round.

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He's not a bad player, but if you have a 2nd round pick this year, in a legendarily deep WR class, well you just talked about why mortgaging draft picks is a bad idea.

One injury or concussion for Cooks and they will have given that pick up for 1 year of the player, because yes he's cuttable, but that's a high price for potentially 1 year of the player. If you need a WR and you have 2 second round picks this year, go draft one. You might run into an all pro in the middle of the second round.

Agree with everything you say. It is also why if I am the Bears, regardless of my needs on the oline, etc, I know I need some upgrades at the skill position front and this is the draft to attack those upgrades.  I hope we see them get a veteran olinemen / safety, which kind of enables them to go BPA in the draft (which would line up to potentially 1-2 wideouts + 1 young TE (Claypool?).  

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

According to Walterfootball.com, Michael Lombardi is reporting that OJ Howard is available for trade. What would it cost and are you interested? 

https://walterfootball.com/nflpossibilities.php

For the Bears? No they shouldn't be interested, because while they have a need at that position, they have so little draft resources and they're so near the cap that they simply aren't a fit right now. They need to be finding guys in the draft who are cheap and under control for 4-5 years with the handful of selections they do have. 

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

According to Walterfootball.com, Michael Lombardi is reporting that OJ Howard is available for trade. What would it cost and are you interested? 

https://walterfootball.com/nflpossibilities.php

I thought one of the Bucs TE's would have been a good fit before they got Jimmy G. Now that they paid Jimmy G, I don't really know how they can acquire a TE, unless it is via the draft.  They still have a major need for a young TE, but they don't have the draft picks to acquire one via trade nor do they have the cap space to be too aggressive (they probably have the most money of any franchise in the NFL allocated to TE right now).  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't get this. Burton is just dead money anyway. Weren't they better off spending the small benefit they had on seeing if he was able to get back on his feet and be productive?  

According to Sportac.com, Trey Burton’s cap hit to the Chicago Bears is $8.55 MillionThe amount of dead cap he creates this year is $7.55 million. However, reports are this will be a post June 1 designation and the team will save around $3 million in cap space for 2020.

https://beargoggleson.com/2020/04/17/trey-burton-chicago-bears-release/

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

According to Sportac.com, Trey Burton’s cap hit to the Chicago Bears is $8.55 MillionThe amount of dead cap he creates this year is $7.55 million. However, reports are this will be a post June 1 designation and the team will save around $3 million in cap space for 2020.

https://beargoggleson.com/2020/04/17/trey-burton-chicago-bears-release/

I don’t like these things. Doesn’t that just push more issues into the future. Paces philosophy is always to rob from the future and this team isn’t good enough to do that for. 

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

Can’t blame him at this point. Things go bad in 2020-2021, this is most likely his last year. 

Definitely; I'll be livid if he mortgages future high picks in this draft. That said, Bears have more insights into how Burton's recovering from his injury and if it isn't looking promising, I can appreciate the need to move in.  They have just sunk in so much money on TE under Pace and whiffed bigtime (not that anyone could have predicted Burton falling off after looking like a solid signing).  In general, I respect Pace. He's done a lot of good things and isn't afraid to get rid of his own guys (Burton / Floyd / Gabriel).  

55 minutes ago, Tony said:

I respect Pace believes in his convictions and has shown us time and time again he will say "Fuck it, this is the move, we're going for it. This is the guy we want." 

When you're that aggressive, you better get it right, and obviously he's gotten it wrong A LOT, which most likely will cost him his job. He needs to be a lot better. BUT, I like my GM to have that attitude. 

Hey, something we agree on. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

https://theathletic.com/1743003/2020/04/14/should-the-bears-trade-back-in-the-draft-lets-project-some-potential-deals/?source=shared-article

I agree with this. If I'm pace I try to trade down from both 2nd rounders and add at least 2 fourth rounders. 

I wouldn't trade both picks. One of them, absolutely. You need to get into the 3rd round. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

I wouldn't trade both picks. One of them, absolutely. You need to get into the 3rd round. 

I’d imagine will be harder to trade back into third then small moves back in 2’d to get fourths.