NFL Thread 2019-2020

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I still think they will give Trubiskey every chance to be the QB. He starts the season but has a short leash.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I do think Pace has to win this season. No playoffs and he is probably in a lot of trouble. So if there is a leash, it is very short. Maybe Mitch surprises. I just don’t think he has the head to be elite. Some guys, even if they aren’t the brightest, seemed wired to play QB. I don’t see it with him. For short stretches he can look really good, but then something always ruins it.

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I still think they will give Trubiskey every chance to be the QB. He starts the season but has a short leash.

I tend to be in your camp but media seems the opposite so they must know more than us. I do agree with dick. Bears don’t want to take risk of Mitch getting hurt and guaranteeing the money and franchise is not much more. Best case scenario Bears are franchising Mitch (because it means he played well). They let him play one more year or at least a chunk of one more year under franchise and than If he is still looking legit you talk big time deal (or can always use the franchise tag again). 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I do think Pace has to win this season. No playoffs and he is probably in a lot of trouble. So if there is a leash, it is very short. Maybe Mitch surprises. I just don’t think he has the head to be elite. Some guys, even if they aren’t the brightest, seemed wired to play QB. I don’t see it with him. For short stretches he can look really good, but then something always ruins it.

I don't believe the leash is very short right now (unfortunately). Only way that happens is if they finish with 5 or less wins. If that happens they need a new GM because between Foles, Trubisky, Glennon and allegedly loving Mariota in that draft you just can't let him pick another QB.

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think it’s throwing in the towel on him and Foles is clearly their likely starter if a season happens. That 5th year is not guaranteed against him being bad, they could still cut him for that, it’s only an injury guarantee. It would be a lot of money if he got hurt, but if you had any confidence in him being a starter this year you pick that up. 

I don't think that's the case at all. That price tag is like $24M. That's a giant commitment. I wouldn't say "if you had any confidence." Even if they had *some* confidence, that's a large commitment to someone like him.

If he's good this year, you tag him.

Edited by soxfan49

3 hours ago, Boogua said:

I'd be willing to bet a sizable amount that Pace gets fired if they miss the playoffs. Even if they won 8 or 9 games.

I just think it's going to take much worse. I hope you're right, but George seems to love him and word is he had a huge say in the HH renovation. Now if they win 7-8 games this year and same thing in 2021, then yes I believe he's gone.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I just think it's going to take much worse. I hope you're right, but George seems to love him and word is he had a huge say in the HH renovation. Now if they win 7-8 games this year and same thing in 2021, then yes I believe he's gone.

He would have one playoff appearance in 6 years and the franchise would have to draft a new QB. I can't imagine they keep a guy on his last legs to draft for a future he won't be a part of. Anything is possible, because it's the Bears, but they fired Lovie after a 10-6 season that missed the playoffs, I can't imagine they'd keep this guy after yet another season without the playoffs.

55 minutes ago, Boogua said:

He would have one playoff appearance in 6 years and the franchise would have to draft a new QB. I can't imagine they keep a guy on his last legs to draft for a future he won't be a part of. Anything is possible, because it's the Bears, but they fired Lovie after a 10-6 season that missed the playoffs, I can't imagine they'd keep this guy after yet another season without the playoffs.

Yeah I think this is the reality, and it also feels like he is in that same boat Angelo was in where he keeps trying to plug the holes of a roster that’s not good enough rather than being able to improve it.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:56 PM, soxfan49 said:

He has worse WR's, better OL and better RB than Trubisky had last year yet wasn't much better. It's apparent no one was willing to give up anything for him. I can't imagine he's much of an upgrade.

It's becoming pretty obvious that OJ Howard isn't very good.

Dalton - $3M guaranteed, Winston - $1M guaranteed, Cam - still available...

Foles - $21M guaranteed and a 4th round pick 

I'm not saying Dalton is a huge upgrade over anybody, Foles has had his times but doesn't look to be a huge upgrade either yet they paid a pretty penny for his services.  

4 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Dalton - $3M guaranteed, Winston - $1M guaranteed, Cam - still available...

Foles - $21M guaranteed and a 4th round pick 

I'm not saying Dalton is a huge upgrade over anybody, Foles has had his times but doesn't look to be a huge upgrade either yet they paid a pretty penny for his services.  

Foles only positive over the other ones you listed is fact he has familiarity with the Bears system. That is it. I get why Bears did it, but I don't have to like it.  Dalton is a superior QB (at least career wise) and Cam is clearly best of the group (when healthy).  Winston was always a guy I would have liked to take a change of scenery chance on.  

He likely doesn't stop being a turnover machine, but if you can limit that, he's a pretty good QB who might have his best years ahead of him.  Pace did the safe thing, which is not his usual MO, but I think this is because he feels cornered to some extent and because he is obligated to get Nagy the guy he wants (so Nagy can show that he isn't just a flash in the pan).  I just don't know why they so quickly bet on someone as mediocre as Foles. I agree with everyone who says Bears need a playoff appearance for Pace to keep his gig (and Nagy for that matter), but still, this was a rare off-season where you could have really upgraded the QB position (or done better than Foles).  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Foles only positive over the other ones you listed is fact he knows the Bears system.

Ring and SB MVP doesn't hurt either (not that I'm necessarily vouching for him).

Edited by SoxAce

On 5/2/2020 at 8:39 PM, The Beast said:

So, how does everyone feel about them declining the 5th year option on Trubisky?

It seems like they don’t want to pay that price tag and want Trubisky to prove it this year. If he performs well and Foles flounders, maybe they renegotiate a new deal with Trubisky.

The option is for $24 million.  I am OK with rolling the dice on it.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Sounds like they figured out a backdoor way to pay him for being a lobbyist on their behalf.

• Thanks 1