NFL Thread 2019-2020

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Come on dude, calling a team the “Indians” is completely different than calling a team the “Asians”.  Not saying it’s an acceptable name or not, but you’re completely ignoring all the context here.

The only context is that we’ve been ok with one for a long time. Both are minority groups, neither is the correct name for them, just one of them got used so it sounds normal.

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The only context is that we’ve been ok with one for a long time. Both are minority groups, neither is the correct name for them, just one of them got used so it sounds normal.

Yeah I’m done here, if you honestly can’t see the difference here then no point in me wasting my time.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Just curious, do you have a problem calling a school the fighting Irish because it's not a minority group?

I have a favorite for the new name of the Washington football franchise: the Redtails. Name after the squadron nickname of the Tuskegee airmen. I heard it on the news. I wish I would have come up with it. 

I'm not necessarily a fan of team mascots being named after humans but I like this one.

21 hours ago, ptatc said:

Just curious, do you have a problem calling a school the fighting Irish because it's not a minority group?

I'm iffy about that one. It's somehow both a positive, identifying a group that contributed a lot to the US and that region, but also a stereotype of the Irish as angry drunks. 

I don't have to have a good answer on all of them to be able to say some of them are absolutely wrong. Watching Braves fans doing the "Tomahawk chop" in the 21st century in the playoffs last year was cringe-worthy. I'll admit to being naive about that back in the 20th century when I first watched baseball and not recognizing the legacy that was following on.

Morality and values can change, when they do, when we recognize we were doing something wrong, we should stop doing the wrong thing and do the right thing. Does that apply to the Fighting Irish? I'm not sure today. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe in 10 years. Maybe we'll decide it's fine. We're intelligent beings, we get to draw that line, and we get to move it if we want.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm iffy about that one. It's somehow both a positive, identifying a group that contributed a lot to the US and that region, but also a stereotype of the Irish as angry drunks. 

I don't have to have a good answer on all of them to be able to say some of them are absolutely wrong. Watching Braves fans doing the "Tomahawk chop" in the 21st century in the playoffs last year was cringe-worthy. I'll admit to being naive about that back in the 20th century when I first watched baseball and not recognizing the legacy that was following on.

Morality and values can change, when they do, when we recognize we were doing something wrong, we should stop doing the wrong thing and do the right thing. Does that apply to the Fighting Irish? I'm not sure today. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe in 10 years. Maybe we'll decide it's fine. We're intelligent beings, we get to draw that line, and we get to move it if we want.

I agree. I'm in between on any of the human mascots. It's weird to have any human ones. But I could be persuaded either way.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I agree. I'm in between on any of the human mascots. It's weird to have any human ones. But I could be persuaded either way.

I liked the redtails but then hesitated for the same reason. Yeah it's honoring some really awesome people in history, but at the same time do we want them to be "Mascots"? I dunno.

On 7/4/2020 at 3:30 PM, Balta1701 said:

I liked the redtails but then hesitated for the same reason. Yeah it's honoring some really awesome people in history, but at the same time do we want them to be "Mascots"? I dunno.

I disagree with you on the "mascot" approach.  I like when a team uses the tribe name because in a way it honors their heritage and really is the only time you would hear of these tribes.  The racist mascots of chief Wahoo, the tomahawk chop and Redskins need to all go away maybe even the FSU depiction. 

Then you get to the Blackhawk logo.....seems to fall in line with U of I war dance and FSU representation.......leave the tribe name but change the depiction.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, ptatc said:

I have a favorite for the new name of the Washington football franchise: the Redtails. Name after the squadron nickname of the Tuskegee airmen. I heard it on the news. I wish I would have come up with it. 

I'm not necessarily a fan of team mascots being named after humans but I like this one.

Redtails has been bandied about for a few years and it's quite frankly the best one.

• Honors the military
  • Honors a group that isn't often recognized
  • Keeps red in the name, which while not a necessity, hypothetically eases the transition.
  • Sweet logo potential: 

12 hours ago, Quin said:

Redtails has been bandied about for a few years and it's quite frankly the best one.

• Honors the military
  • Honors a group that isn't often recognized
  • Keeps red in the name, which while not a necessity, hypothetically eases the transition.
  • Sweet logo potential: 

I realize with DC you can kinda co-opt all of america since its the capital but kinda weird since geographically very little linkage. But then again there are no bears in chicago. Or wizards in dc...

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

I realize with DC you can kinda co-opt all of america since its the capital but kinda weird since geographically very little linkage. But then again there are no bears in chicago. Or wizards in dc...

There were bears back in the day.  They have just all been hunted out.  We very rarely get one in our area if it wanders far enough.

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

So desean jackson should be released. I'm not sure you could parody a more antisemitic thing than that, honestly.

Riley Cooper famously threatened to “fight every n——— in here” and had his contract extended. Same team. I don’t disagree with you but why did Cooper get a pass?

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Riley Cooper famously threatened to “fight every n——— in here” and had his contract extended. Same team. I don’t disagree with you but why did Cooper get a pass?

Riley Cooper got off light and that was part of the story back then. At least he gave a standard PR apology.

DeSean Jackson doubled down on quoting  a fake Hitler quote and spewing stuff from Farrakhan, said he was taken out of and to prove he was taken out of context, he posted the full quote which has the phrase "Hitler was right."

If Riley Cooper was posting stuff from the Klan or the Cornerstone Speech on his Instagram, then doubled down on it, then we could compare the situations.

I read something the other day that mentioned Mitch's new trainer indicated he had an inbalance in his throwing shoulder which has been addressed this off-season.  I love how Mitch has seemingly responded to the Foles news.  Quietly hoping we see him take 2-3 steps forward this year and emerge as the franchise player the Bears originally hoped he could be.   

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I read something the other day that mentioned Mitch's new trainer indicated he had an inbalance in his throwing shoulder which has been addressed this off-season.  I love how Mitch has seemingly responded to the Foles news.  Quietly hoping we see him take 2-3 steps forward this year and emerge as the franchise player the Bears originally hoped he could be.   

Plus he's in the best shape of his life, and he went to Driveline in the offseason to work on his wind-up.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Plus he's in the best shape of his life, and he went to Driveline in the offseason to work on his wind-up.

Like I said - I expect puff pieces in the off-season, but I could also have seen a bunch of stuff talking about how Mitch is kind of isolated, taken more of a back seat, etc.  The opposite has held true.  I will also caveat, no one ever knocked Mitch's work ethic (that I had heard of)...the question is did this just increase the overall intensity.  We'll have to wait and see if it is good or bad, but I like the aggression he is showing (as in general I've always thought Mitch wasn't aggressive enough).  

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Bye bye Redskins. 

Money talks. The Indians, Blackhawks, Chiefs and Braves are next. This doesn't get done without the threat from corporate sponsors. 

The Blackhawks might be able to get away with keeping their name if they separate it again and change their logo to a bird. 

Edited by Jack Parkman