NFL Thread 2019-2020

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’ll be shocked if anything changes with the Blackhawks. They’ve already made a statement saying they are proud of their logo, and they really didn’t receive a ton of backlash. 

We'll see if they change their tune when corporate sponsors threaten to pull advertising and sponsorship. If it wasn't for that pressure, Snyder would have never changed his team's name/logo. They'd change the logo in about a week if that happened. Money makes the world go round. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Tony said:

If they haven’t already......I don’t know why they will in the future. You can say what you will about the on-ice product, but Rocky knows how to run a business and make money. They didn’t put out that statement on a whim with no research. They obviously have the data to back up their feeling that the logo still plays in 2020. Lastly....corporate sponsors threaten to pull advertising when there is a huge public outcry from fans/media. Sponsors don’t do a thing because they have some moral obligation to the world. And so far....there really hasn’t been a big push for the Blackhawks to change. The Indian Head is much different than the Redskins or even Chief Wahoo.

1. There hasn't been a huge push for the Blackhawks because of the Washington NFL franchise and the Cleveland MLB franchise had way worse name/logo combination. When those two aren't there to take the heat off of the Blackhawks, where will all of the attention go? 

2. While I agree with you...ultimately, it's not our call to make. My opinion lacks credibility, because it doesn't affect me. That's the bottom line. Brace yourselves, because it's just a matter of time. 

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's not the bottom line, so I don't need to brace myself. I believe you're wrong, as do many others. 

When I said "that's the bottom line" I was referring to the idea that it's not our call to make, not that the logo would or wouldn't be changed. I don't think it's 100% certain but I do think the odds are >50%, and I do think that the majority of the media attention will be shifted toward the Blackhawks once Cleveland changes their name, which was what I was referring to when I said "it's just a matter of time" 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think the biggest "issue" with the Blackhawks logo is at the end of the day it's an animated version of an Indian with face paint. 

Having said that, as the Blackhawks mentioned in their statement:

We don't even need to get into the Redskins. I think based on the work the Blackhawks have done with different NA communities and the overall respect shown to the logo, I just don't see "big" issues moving forward. There are always going to be upset people....but that just comes with life. 

There's a Wikipedia page on the Blackhawks name and you are correct a lot of the comments seem to specifically focus on the logo, but there are some more general statements out there as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks_name_and_logo_controversy

https://aicchicago.org/statement-on-blackhawks/

19 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Bye bye Redskins. 

I think the name will be red tails. There was a comment that the name isn't announced due to trademark negotiations and I know the Tuskegee Airmen own the trademark. Hopefully the Washington franchise donates money to the organization for the right to use the name.

Edited by ptatc

On 7/13/2020 at 4:46 PM, ptatc said:

I think the name will be red tails. There was a comment that the name isn't announced due to trademark negotiations and I know the Tuskegee Airmen own the trademark. Hopefully the Washington franchise donates money to the organization for the right to use the name.

It might be because some lawyer in Virginia bought out the trademarks for like every conceivable variation that would make sense for Washington.

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I just read something interesting. If they play this season, Chase Daniel will be paid more than JameisWinston and Cam Newton combined.

He knows the system. In more ways than one.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How did they not have a contingency plan in place for this for decades now?

Because Snyder was adamantly opposed to even considering changing the name until big money corporate sponsors threatened to pull out. He probably threatened to fire anyone who even mentioned it in meetings.

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Because Snyder was adamantly opposed to even considering changing the name until big money corporate sponsors threatened to pull out. He probably threatened to fire anyone who even mentioned it in meetings.

Also have to think that lawyer in Virginia that bought up the rights to all of those alternate names has to be an impediment too

Bears just sent out a notice that there will be no season tickets this year. No multi-game packages either. If fans are allowed in the stadium PSL holders then season ticket holders will have priority for single game tickets.

Steep price to pay for a safety. Adams is really good, but I never like giving up 2 1st round picks.  On the other side, Bears traded Shaheen to the Dolphins for a conditional 6th round pick. Presume one of the conditions has to be health so probably low odds Bears given Shaheen's 1st 3 years with the club.