NFL Thread 2019-2020

23 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Another NFL exec told David Kaplan the Bears are probably in the Super Bowl if Stafford is their QB. 

I was actually thinking the same, Adam Jahns (who's work along Hoge I admire lots) keeps on dogging Stafford but his performance this year would have Bears on top of this league imho. Of course now he's injured so point is moot.

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

Myles Garrett is probably in some trouble.  Doubt he plays anymore this year.

I wonder what the story is with Mason Rudolph and Garrett.  Rudolph was trying to rip Garrett's helmet off while being sacked.

I don't get why no one talking on this is paying attention to the fact that while Garrett's hit was definitely late and somewhat dirty, Rudolph escalated things both times and turned the situation into a fight.  If he doesn't try to rip off Garrett's helmet first things end there and then after Garrett ripped off his helmet off in response and a couple of Steelers' offensive linemen had already pulled Garrett away Rudolph goes after Garrett again.  Rudolph was no angel. 

Garrett deserves the rest of the year suspension he is getting plus more but Rudolph played a huge role in that incident becoming what it was.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

18 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

I don't get why no one talking on this is paying attention to the fact that while Garrett's hit was definitely late and somewhat dirty, Rudolph escalated things both times and turned the situation into a fight.  If he doesn't try to rip off Garrett's helmet first things end there and then after Garrett ripped off his helmet off in response and a couple of Steelers' offensive linemen had already pulled Garrett away Rudolph goes after Garrett again.  Rudolph was no angel. 

Garrett deserves the rest of the year suspension he is getting plus more but Rudolph played a huge role in that incident becoming what it was.

Makes absolutely no difference what Rudolph did. There is no excuse for hitting someone in the head with a helmet. If I were the steelers and Rudolph, I would bring the police in a charge him with assault. 

I've lost a great deal of respect for Akiem Hicks for his defense of Garrett.

Rudolph should probably get fined for trying to pull another players helmet off.  I would assume he was doing that so he could punch him in the head.  Why else would you be doing that?

The Garrett suspension is appropriate, but I'm not sure legal action is necessary.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Rudolph's agent is "hinting" that his client might take legal action. 

And Garrett is suspended indefinitely. 

Rudolph isn't going to take legal action unless we find out he was injured by the hit to the head.  Generally speaking people don't bring legal action when there are no damages and you were the one instigating the fight. 

18 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Rudolph isn't going to take legal action unless we find out he was injured by the hit to the head.  Generally speaking people don't bring legal action when there are no damages and you were the one instigating the fight. 

He missed games earlier in the season with a concussion, I believe. They can always use that as a reason.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Rudolph should probably get fined for trying to pull another players helmet off.  I would assume he was doing that so he could punch him in the head.  Why else would you be doing that?

The Garrett suspension is appropriate, but I'm not sure legal action is necessary.

There should be a fine but you can't assume he was going to punch him in the head. He may have just been using it to pull him down or something.

25 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Anytime you use a weapon to try to injure someone outside the context of the game, legal action needs to be considered. 

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There should be a fine but you can't assume he was going to punch him in the head. He may have just been using it to pull him down or something.

I mean they were both on the ground and he is pulling it with two hands.  Was he just trying to steal his helmet?

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I mean they were both on the ground and he is pulling it with two hands.  Was he just trying to steal his helmet?

Players have done that before. Rip a guy's helmet off and either throws it away from that player or just casually mock the player that he did it.

I still remember the Johnson/Finnegan fight. 

Edited by SoxAce

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Anytime you use a weapon to try to injure someone outside the context of the game, legal action needs to be considered. 

This isn't the first time this has happened and I don't believe anyone was ever arrested the other times.

After Rudolph tried to pull Garrett's helmet off, he was kicking him in the thigh with his spikes and also appears to grab his crotch.  Rudolph facing charges as well?

What Garrett did was incredibly dangerous, but it's not like Rudolph was just sitting on the bench and Garrett walked over and smashed him in the head.  Rudolph started the fight and Garrett took it too far.  Garrett should be suspended for the rest of the year, like he was and Rudolph who was just fined for it, should be suspended for a game or two.

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

This isn't the first time this has happened and I don't believe anyone was ever arrested the other times.

After Rudolph tried to pull Garrett's helmet off, he was kicking him in the thigh with his spikes and also appears to grab his crotch.  Rudolph facing charges as well?

What Garrett did was incredibly dangerous, but it's not like Rudolph was just sitting on the bench and Garrett walked over and smashed him in the head.  Rudolph started the fight and Garrett took it too far.  Garrett should be suspended for the rest of the year, like he was and Rudolph who was just fined for it, should be suspended for a game or two.

I don't ever recall anyone hitting someone in the head without a helmet with a weapon. In hockey there have been incidents of charges filed.

If you think kicking someone in the thigh or crotch is the same as hitting someone in the head with a helmet, you are mistaken. This is why there are rules in football about hitting someone in the head but not about hitting someone in the thigh. It's just flat out dangerous. Even in bar fights the criminal intent of truly injuring someone is taken into account. Punching someone vs. hitting them with a bottle or chair results in drastically different punishments.

Rudolph should be fined as well as the other players for what he did in the fight as it was a fight and outside the context of the game. However, absolutely nothing anyone can do should result in what Garrett did. Not to mention Garrett's history of fines and punishments in the context of game with late hits and personal fouls. He's going down the path of  Vontez Burfect.