NFL Thread 2019-2020

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Of all the problems they have the offensive line is still the worst. How many negative plays have they had today against the 2nd team defense.

The offensive line’s effort was awful today, letting many linemen easily get to Trubisky. The rushing yardage they had from scrimmage this year was at times offensive.

I would also like to know the advantage of quick passes to the outside in that offense. They seem to yield a few quick yards at a time but then get shut down almost immediately.

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Continuity. Consistently firing coaches and GMs can lead to perpetual rebuilds.

Yeah, it would suck to not win a playoff game in back-to-back years without our amazing front office and head coach...  oh wait.  😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan

22 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I think he earned one more year. I have my issues with him but the team didn’t give up and the culture is supposedly pretty good. He has a lot to learn and I think he has the mentality where he will give an honest assessment of everything over the offseason. 

Reality is everything came too easy for Bears a year ago (players and coaches) and I think from the kicking absurdity in the offseason to the fact that this team had so many guys only used to being on Bears that not enough people realized how difficult it is to consistently win in the NFL really is. I think the lack of edge and maybe arrogance around team certainty had major implications on the season. Mitch being so apprehensive to throw the ball downfield as well as his injury and his shoddy play certainly contributed as well. 

That said a good offseason, an easier schedule, and some slight adjustments and I can certainly see this team being back in playoffs and back with a nice trajectory...but with Mitch’s future much more in doubt they are going to have a tough choice to make as to how to handle QB situation. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Beast said:

The offensive line’s effort was awful today, letting many linemen easily get to Trubisky. The rushing yardage they had from scrimmage this year was at times offensive.

I would also like to know the advantage of quick passes to the outside in that offense. They seem to yield a few quick yards at a time but then get shut down almost immediately.

I sometimes wonder why so much short stuff and is it Mitch or is it the system. We specialize in throwing five yards short of the sticks. I figure a good part has to be on Mitch but so many seem to be design. The inability to run and have a good screen game certainly have hurt. 

4 hours ago, The Beast said:

That’s reason to not fire a coach but not reason to hire one. What was his calling card as an NFL coach has been nonexistent for one and a half season now (the offensive output today was inexcusable). On top of that, the franchise QB has took a huge step back in a year we expected major growth, the team has gone through games this year where they didn’t seem ready to play, and they struggled in fundamentals of the game, especially blocking (not just the OL, but RBs and WRs also).

They went .500 because they had too much talent and beat up on some pretty bad team. Nagy has that to thank because that’s what saved his job.

Pace has shown that he struggles at top pick drafting. - Pro Bowl in italics.

Kevin White - DeVante Parker (14)

Eddie Goldman 

Hroniss Grasu

Jeremy Langford

Adrian Amos

Tayo Fabuluje 

Leonard Floyd - Jaylon Smith (34)

Cody Whitehair

Jonathan Bullard 

Nick Kwiatkoski 

Deiondre' Hall 

Jordan Howard 

DeAndre Houston-Carson 

Daniel Braverman

Mitchell Trubisky - Patrick Mahomes (10)

Adam Shaheen

(3rd round pick traded to SF  to move up to #2 spot turned into Pro Bowl RB Alvin Kamara)

Eddie Jackson

Tarik Cohen

Jordan Morgan

Roquan Smith - Leighton Vander Esch (19)

James Daniels

Anthony Miller

Joel Iyiegbuniwe 

Bilal Nichols 

Kylie Fitts 

Javon Wims 

(2nd round traded for Anthony Miller turned into Pro Bowl WR Mecole Hardman)

David Montgomery

Riley Ridley

Duke Shelley

Kerrith Whyte Jr.

Stephen Denmark

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

That’s reason to not fire a coach but not reason to hire one. What was his calling card as an NFL coach has been nonexistent for one and a half season now (the offensive output today was inexcusable). On top of that, the franchise QB has took a huge step back in a year we expected major growth, the team has gone through games this year where they didn’t seem ready to play, and they struggled in fundamentals of the game, especially blocking (not just the OL, but RBs and WRs also).

They went .500 because they had too much talent and beat up on some pretty bad team. Nagy has that to thank because that’s what saved his job.

I think Trubisky reflects poorly on Pace, not Nagy. I truly believe if Trubisky was capable, Nagy would have gotten more out of him. I don't know how to judge Nagy because the driving force of an NFL offense is the QB and he doesn't have a capable one. 

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yikes, from a pretty well placed source who has a lot of knowledge:

The Bears primary target this off-season will be Alex Smith. Yuck.

I could have told you that months ago.

His career is over in Washington and he knows Nagy's system.

59 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think Trubisky reflects poorly on Pace, not Nagy. I truly believe if Trubisky was capable, Nagy would have gotten more out of him. I don't know how to judge Nagy because the driving force of an NFL offense is the QB and he doesn't have a capable one. 

The GM takes the hit for drafting the wrong player but the coaching staff takes the hit for failing to develop the QB. Pace missed out on all pro talents like Mahomes and Watson but Trubisky has the tools to be an above average QB that we saw glimpses of last year. Part of Nagy’s job was to harness the potential of MT and he’s failing to do that.

I’m hoping Bears move on from their OC and Oline coach and land Shurmer and Callahan.  While I am not blaming Heistand and Helfrich, I don’t think their schemes were great fits with Nagys and I think the seasoned Callahan and Shurmer would be great alongside Nagy to help challenge him, etc. I remain optimistic that Nagy can truly learn from this and this can end up a blip in a strong run as head coach. Or at least I have to hope that. There is a lot to learn from this past season. 

41 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He really helped Mahomes by all accounts in that QB room.

Smith would make a lot of sense. Probably open to backup role and also familiar with system. If he does well, he knows he has good shot at starting but I also assume he will be open to mentoring Mitch. 

That said no idea whether Smith will be healthy. 

I'd be fine with it. I'd also take a look at Foles or Minshew (less so), depending on what Jacksonville ends up doing. The Bears don't need a GREAT qb to win and go far in the playoffs. They just need a competent one. It's time for the Trubisky experiment to end. He can be a backup. They need to sign a guy and then take a flier on one late in the draft.