NFL Thread 2019-2020

10 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

They beat the Chiefs, Seahawks and Vikings 3 times. I wouldn't say they didn't have impressive wins

Sure, but that was a different Mahomes and different Chiefs’ defense in late October.

The Seahawks were going to give the 49ers a better game.   The Packers, at this point, basically have two offensive weapons.  They get a lot of credit for improving the defense, but their offense was not unlike the Pats after you took out AB and Gordon.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox6now.com/2020/01/20/go-pack-go-titletown-faithful-welcome-the-packers-back-to-green-bay/amp/

Best fans in the NFL. It’s still remarkable to me that a city of population 105,000 has one of the largest and most loyal fanbases in the league. It truly is amazing.

Yes, they're the only team whose fans have ever met them at the airport.

I'm just giving crap.

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

Yes, they're the only team whose fans have ever met them at the airport.

I'm just giving crap.

I mean it’s 3 am after a blowout loss and they’re cheering them home. That’s pretty unusual imo. I consider myself a die hard but I can’t hold a candle to most of the fans in Green Bay.

54 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, but that was a different Mahomes and different Chiefs’ defense in late October.

The Seahawks were going to give the 49ers a better game.   The Packers, at this point, basically have two offensive weapons.  They get a lot of credit for improving the defense, but their offense was not unlike the Pats after you took out AB and Gordon.

The 49ers were the worst matchup in the NFL for the Packers. Their strengths were the Packers’ biggest weaknesses. Packers had a much better shot of beating the Chiefs than they did beating the 49ers, especially in SF. I would have liked to see the matchup in Lambeau. Would have been a much different game imo.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I mean it’s 3 am after a blowout loss and they’re cheering them home. That’s pretty unusual imo. I consider myself a die hard but I can’t hold a candle to most of the fans in Green Bay.

That is pretty usual for teams coming home from a playoff game.   It's cool that fans do that but it's a pretty normal practice 

When the Trubisky, Nagy and Mahomes discussion subsides, what should be the solutions in the draft and offseason? Not specific to the quarterback position but are collectively about the team? 

What moves should they make? Who should they cut? Who should they sign or draft?

13 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I’ve got a hot take for you...  they both suck at their jobs.

This I agree with this for the past year. They were both decent the previous year. The bears need hope  they both learned something this year and will improve next otherwise it will be another down year. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

😖
4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

When they played the Chiefs, Mahomes wasn't even playing, he was hurt. And they still barely won.

Most of their wins came against bad teams, and every time they played a good team this year (49ers, Chargers, Eagles), they lost.

Albeit they beat Seattle so I will give them that, but other than that? Meh.

Edited by nickofypres

53 minutes ago, nickofypres said:

When they played the Chiefs, Mahomes wasn't even playing, he was hurt. And they still barely won.

Most of their wins came against bad teams, and every time they played a good team this year (49ers, Chargers, Eagles), they lost.

Albeit they beat Seattle so I will give them that, but other than that? Meh.

The Vikings were good. The Chargers were not.

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

When the Trubisky, Nagy and Mahomes discussion subsides, what should be the solutions in the draft and offseason? Not specific to the quarterback position but are collectively about the team? 

What moves should they make? Who should they cut? Who should they sign or draft?

I think they need a veteran swing tackle and a good OG in free agency. In the draft they should use 2 of their first 4-5 picks on OL. I would love to see them add some speed on offense. Oh, and TE is obviously a need. Robinson should be extended.

A rush linebacker is necessary- Lynch sucks, so does Irving and Floyd is a Jamie Collins type, not a true EDGE- and a good DE would be nice as we saw how average they looked without Hicks. The #2 CB spot is a storyline because Amukamara will be cut and Toliver is a question mark.

Gabriel, Long and Amukamara will all be cut.

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

fire all of management and sell the team are steps 1 and 2 imo

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

Obviously there's no choice but to run with Trubisky for at least 1 more season and hope to pull something off, the real question with him is - do you pick up the 5th year option? 

Beyond that, they've got 2 second round picks to work with, ,but are missing #3 and #4. Hopefully they can get something useful in the latter rounds, open to trading down for extra selections if they can, but no way they should be thinking about moving up.

They are near the bottom of the league in available cap space. Somewhere they need to bring in additional QB help, but it's going to have to be cheap. They're going to have to look into doing things like reworking Mack's deal and maybe others to try to clear space, and they're going to be playing the bottom of the FA market. In general you have to hope you can find a guy or two who overperform what they're paid when they enter the Bears' system, and you have to hope to get more out of guys like Montgomery next year.

There's not enough resources available to hope for a major overhaul or major upgrades of this roster.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

The Vikings were good. The Chargers were not.

I think they need a veteran swing tackle and a good OG in free agency. In the draft they should use 2 of their first 4-5 picks on OL. I would love to see them add some speed on offense. Oh, and TE is obviously a need. Robinson should be extended.

A rush linebacker is necessary- Lynch sucks, so does Irving and Floyd is a Jamie Collins type, not a true EDGE- and a good DE would be nice as we saw how average they looked without Hicks. The #2 CB spot is a storyline because Amukamara will be cut and Toliver is a question mark.

Gabriel, Long and Amukamara will all be cut.

Round 2 - Pick 43

Round 2 - Pick 50

Round 4 - Late round compensatory pick?

Round 5 - Pick 141

Round 5 - Pick 145

Round 6 - Pick 176

Round 6 - Pick 180

Round 7 - Pick 210

My guess is that they will use the first pick in the second round and trade back to recoup picks in later rounds. Offensive line would be high on my priority list as would TE. They do need more depth at DE and linebacker as well. And safety will be a position of need. They should pick up a quarterback like Mariota in free agency to effectively run Nagy’s offense.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

fire all of management and sell the team are steps 1 and 2 imo

Realistically, the first idea isn’t an option until after this year. I doubt the McCaskey family will sell the team.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Obviously there's no choice but to run with Trubisky for at least 1 more season and hope to pull something off, the real question with him is - do you pick up the 5th year option? 

Beyond that, they've got 2 second round picks to work with, ,but are missing #3 and #4. Hopefully they can get something useful in the latter rounds, open to trading down for extra selections if they can, but no way they should be thinking about moving up.

They are near the bottom of the league in available cap space. Somewhere they need to bring in additional QB help, but it's going to have to be cheap. They're going to have to look into doing things like reworking Mack's deal and maybe others to try to clear space, and they're going to be playing the bottom of the FA market. In general you have to hope you can find a guy or two who overperform what they're paid when they enter the Bears' system, and you have to hope to get more out of guys like Montgomery next year.

There's not enough resources available to hope for a major overhaul or major upgrades of this roster.

I make him prove it and decline the fifth year option. Then again I don’t fully understand how the option works since they picked up Floyd’s and sports radio made it seem like they had a decision to make on Floyd this offseason.

Maybe the Bears need to consider more prove it deals like Clinton Dix. I hope cutting Amukamara and Gabriel will help the cap issue as will some extensions or changing money into signing bonuses.

Do they need a “bruiser” back to complement Montgomery that doesn’t suck like Davis? Cohen just doesn’t seem to fit as a running back.

5 hours ago, The Beast said:

Realistically the priority seems to be TE. The offense nagy wants to run is similar to KC and Philadelphia.  Those seem to run through Kelce and Ertz/Goddard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Realistically the priority seems to be TE. The offense nagy wants to run is similar to KC and Philadelphia.  Those seem to run through Kelce and Ertz/Goddard.

The problem is finding a dynamic tight end.  It’s not be accident that Kelce and Kittle are two of the best, and both in the Super Bowl.

Most importantly, someone that blocks as well as Kittle really opens the running attack when he can occupy the caliber of defenders that he does.  It’s very rare to find someone who enjoys this facet of the game and freeing up his teammates maybe just as much as catching the ball downfield.   And it’s equally difficult to inculcate that mentality when it’s not there in high school or college.   The players who are not 4-5 star recruits but 2-3 or walk-on types have to focus on all facets of their game to get noticed by Division 1 teams, and that usually turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

Kelce was a 3rd rounder, Kittle a fifth.  Gronkowski was picked 42nd.  Just have to do more homework, compared to QB.

I make him prove it and decline the fifth year option. Then again I don’t fully understand how the option works since they picked up Floyd’s and sports radio made it seem like they had a decision to make on Floyd this offseason.

Apparently when they picked up the 5th year option last spring they created a situation where it is guaranteed against injury but where the player can be cut prior to the start of the NFL year in early March if the team no longer thinks he's worth the contract ($13.2 million for Floyd). I didn't know that was the case with those options. 

• Like 1

Round 2 - Pick 43

Round 2 - Pick 50

Round 4 - Late round compensatory pick?

Round 5 - Pick 141

Round 5 - Pick 145

Round 6 - Pick 176

Round 6 - Pick 180

Round 7 - Pick 210

My guess is that they will use the first pick in the second round and trade back to recoup picks in later rounds. Offensive line would be high on my priority list as would TE. They do need more depth at DE and linebacker as well. And safety will be a position of need. They should pick up a quarterback like Mariota in free agency to effectively run Nagy’s offense.

Realistically, the first idea isn’t an option until after this year. I doubt the McCaskey family will sell the team.

Maybe the Bears need to consider more prove it deals like Clinton Dix. I hope cutting Amukamara and Gabriel will help the cap issue as will some extensions or changing money into signing bonuses.

Do they need a “bruiser” back to complement Montgomery that doesn’t suck like Davis? Cohen just doesn’t seem to fit as a running back.

They actually have one 5 and two 7's, not two 5's and one 7.

Montgomery is kind of a bruiser. I'd rather find a speedy, back up RB.

Edited by soxfan49

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

They actually have one 5 and two 7's, not two 5's and one 7.

Montgomery is kind of a bruiser. I'd rather find a speedy, back up RB.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-chicago-bears-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-watch/

This made it seem like they had two fifth round picks, unless I missed something. I wonder how the compensatory pick works, it has to do with the amount of free agents lost versus the ones signed?

What do they do with Cohen if they draft a speed back and Montgomery is their bruiser?

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Apparently when they picked up the 5th year option last spring they created a situation where it is guaranteed against injury but where the player can be cut prior to the start of the NFL year in early March if the team no longer thinks he's worth the contract ($13.2 million for Floyd). I didn't know that was the case with those options. 

This. You basically pick it up and are on the hook if the player has a serious injury.  Otherwise, you can ultimately let them free with no issue.  So in the case of Floyd, even though Bears picked up 5th year option last year, they can still cut him today with no cap ramifications.