Jump to content
southsider2k5

NFL Thread 2019-2020

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Yeah, it's gonna be realllly tough to put a team around Brady if he's getting 30+. Cutting Floyd gets you to right around that 30 number. Extending Robinson could probably get you, what another 10 million? 

Who's your number 2 CB? Your other ILB? Your other OLB? Your other Safety(I think HaHa was a 1 year deal right?)? All of a sudden, the elite defense you're selling Brady on has quite a few question marks before even addressing the 2 or 3 holes on the OL and lack of TE. 

 

 

Roberson or Toliver are their #2 CB whether they get Brady or not. I think they would probably draft EDGE in round 2 to go opposite of Mack. The other SS was probably going to be a veteran thumper on a 1-2 year deal regardless. With that much cap room they can keep Trevathan on a short term deal.

As long as Fuller, Jackson, Smith, Hicks and Mack are there I think Brady would understand.

Edited by soxfan49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Marcus Mariota would be the best bet for the Bears.  He needs to stay healthy, but he is still only 26.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

I still think Marcus Mariota would be the best bet for the Bears.  He needs to stay healthy, but he is still only 26.

I'd choose Dalton or Carr over Mariota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

I still think Marcus Mariota would be the best bet for the Bears.  He needs to stay healthy, but he is still only 26.

That would be a tough sell for the agent as it guarantees one of the clients is a backup. I dont think he would do that to trubiskey unless Mariota gets no other offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ptatc said:

That would be a tough sell for the agent as it guarantees one of the clients is a backup. I dont think he would do that to trubiskey unless Mariota gets no other offers.

Possibly, but I don't think either of these players have a lot of options at this point.  Both have maybe one last chance at being a starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

My QB rankings: 

1. Carr

2. Mariota

3. Dalton

I've now heard rumors of Bridgewater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ew. 

I'd sorta like him for the Bears but I think he'll command more money than I'd pay for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Don't think paying Teddy a bunch of money really solves the problem. In fact, I think Mitch can be Teddy, although I might be wrong.  I think the Bears need to put their money around building all the right parts around the QB...and find a back-up who could pull a Tannehill while giving Mitch T his shot.  If things don't work, than a year from now team has a good roster and is either hoping to find a veteran QB who can win with great parts around them or you are leveraging draft capital for a young QB.

One guy I would keep an eye on if I were the Bears is RG III. Could he be a bounce back candidate in this type of system?  I don't think he'd cost a ton of money either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new CBA might force the Bears hand on Mitch. This is now the off-season where they need to really decide on Mitch's 5th year option, which might pressure them to make a move on QB faster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd sorta like him for the Bears but I think he'll command more money than I'd pay for him.

Yeah - The part I don't like is how much money he is going to get. I just don't think Teddy is that good. He's solid, don't get me wrong, but I don't think you pay 30+M for solid (similar to what Tennessee did). I think if I were a team I'd make sure i had a good system and OC and I'd try running through young QB's on a regular basis and regularly go with younger QB's (trade guys to other franchises to keep accumulating enough draft capital).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony said:

That Cards offense could be a lot of fun

What did the cards get? Didn't they trade Johnson?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Kwiatkoski posted a photo of the Raiders new stadium on Twitter, I would assume that means he signed with the Raiders or maybe he is a big time fan of stadiums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The new CBA might force the Bears hand on Mitch. This is now the off-season where they need to really decide on Mitch's 5th year option, which might pressure them to make a move on QB faster.  

Aren’t they exempt? I thought it had a grace period

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are talking about 20 plus million per year for Bridgewater.  Good lord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

They are talking about 20 plus million per year for Bridgewater.  Good lord.

Worked for Mike Glennon.

Anyway, so @bmags yeah if they can spend money on this they could go for Brady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tony said:

Sounds like Teddy may be close (according to ProFootballTalk) and It’s not competition for Mitch, but a sign the Bears are done with the Mitch experience. 

Definitely - If you go after any big name QB, you are saying you are done with Mitch. I'm 100% okay with that approach.  At the end of the day, no one knows Mitch and his faults better than the Bears front office. For all we know they literally were spending the whole season shaking their heads trying to figure how they could scheme around all of his weaknesses/faults. None of us know how he recognizes film study, etc, either, than the coaching staff.

My whole beef is more in how much do they know someone. But if Pace got a favorable word from Payton and company, I can get on board. The one thing I can appreciate is the Bears under Pace have always been aggressive.  I think tying up $30M+ to mediocre QB's isn't smart, but than again, almost every team in the league consistently does it. And if Mitch is really that bad, than getting up to mediocre with this defense and everything else may be all the Bears need.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

They are talking about 20 plus million per year for Bridgewater.  Good lord.

If you are shocked by this...I have no idea what league you have been watching.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Worked for Mike Glennon.

Anyway, so @bmags yeah if they can spend money on this they could go for Brady.

Yeah - I like Brady because short-term you can see how much you can maximize the team, while longer term you haven't tied yourself up.  It also gives you a good barometer for the type of offensive mind Nagy really is.  If there is one thing evident from the Bears diving deep into QB, they think Mitch is really bad, which means, you probably have to put a huge asterisk on last years offensive performance and how you evaluate Nagy, etc.  Of course, I think Brady's best years are far behind him and I don't know that Bridgewater is worse (in fact he's probably better than Brady at all things except for "notoriety" at this point).  Hopefully any Bridgewater deal has ways to get out of it without being in total cap hell after 2ish years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Definitely - If you go after any big name QB, you are saying you are done with Mitch. I'm 100% okay with that approach.  At the end of the day, no one knows Mitch and his faults better than the Bears front office. For all we know they literally were spending the whole season shaking their heads trying to figure how they could scheme around all of his weaknesses/faults. None of us know how he recognizes film study, etc, either, than the coaching staff.

My whole beef is more in how much do they know someone. But if Pace got a favorable word from Payton and company, I can get on board. The one thing I can appreciate is the Bears under Pace have always been aggressive.  I think tying up $30M+ to mediocre QB's isn't smart, but than again, almost every team in the league consistently does it. And if Mitch is really that bad, than getting up to mediocre with this defense and everything else may be all the Bears need.  

Can they cut Mitch and save any cap space? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×