southsider2k5

NFL Thread 2019-2020

On 7/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, ptatc said:

I have a favorite for the new name of the Washington football franchise: the Redtails. Name after the squadron nickname of the Tuskegee airmen. I heard it on the news. I wish I would have come up with it. 

I'm not necessarily a fan of team mascots being named after humans but I like this one.

Redtails has been bandied about for a few years and it's quite frankly the best one.

• Honors the military
  • Honors a group that isn't often recognized
  • Keeps red in the name, which while not a necessity, hypothetically eases the transition.
  • Sweet logo potential: 

So desean jackson should be released. I'm not sure you could parody a more antisemitic thing than that, honestly.

12 hours ago, Quin said:

Redtails has been bandied about for a few years and it's quite frankly the best one.

• Honors the military
  • Honors a group that isn't often recognized
  • Keeps red in the name, which while not a necessity, hypothetically eases the transition.
  • Sweet logo potential: 

I realize with DC you can kinda co-opt all of america since its the capital but kinda weird since geographically very little linkage. But then again there are no bears in chicago. Or wizards in dc...

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

I realize with DC you can kinda co-opt all of america since its the capital but kinda weird since geographically very little linkage. But then again there are no bears in chicago. Or wizards in dc...

There were bears back in the day.  They have just all been hunted out.  We very rarely get one in our area if it wanders far enough.

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

So desean jackson should be released. I'm not sure you could parody a more antisemitic thing than that, honestly.

Riley Cooper famously threatened to “fight every n——— in here” and had his contract extended. Same team. I don’t disagree with you but why did Cooper get a pass?

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Riley Cooper famously threatened to “fight every n——— in here” and had his contract extended. Same team. I don’t disagree with you but why did Cooper get a pass?

Riley Cooper got off light and that was part of the story back then. At least he gave a standard PR apology.

DeSean Jackson doubled down on quoting  a fake Hitler quote and spewing stuff from Farrakhan, said he was taken out of and to prove he was taken out of context, he posted the full quote which has the phrase "Hitler was right."

If Riley Cooper was posting stuff from the Klan or the Cornerstone Speech on his Instagram, then doubled down on it, then we could compare the situations.

I read something the other day that mentioned Mitch's new trainer indicated he had an inbalance in his throwing shoulder which has been addressed this off-season.  I love how Mitch has seemingly responded to the Foles news.  Quietly hoping we see him take 2-3 steps forward this year and emerge as the franchise player the Bears originally hoped he could be.   

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I read something the other day that mentioned Mitch's new trainer indicated he had an inbalance in his throwing shoulder which has been addressed this off-season.  I love how Mitch has seemingly responded to the Foles news.  Quietly hoping we see him take 2-3 steps forward this year and emerge as the franchise player the Bears originally hoped he could be.   

Plus he's in the best shape of his life, and he went to Driveline in the offseason to work on his wind-up.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Plus he's in the best shape of his life, and he went to Driveline in the offseason to work on his wind-up.

Like I said - I expect puff pieces in the off-season, but I could also have seen a bunch of stuff talking about how Mitch is kind of isolated, taken more of a back seat, etc.  The opposite has held true.  I will also caveat, no one ever knocked Mitch's work ethic (that I had heard of)...the question is did this just increase the overall intensity.  We'll have to wait and see if it is good or bad, but I like the aggression he is showing (as in general I've always thought Mitch wasn't aggressive enough).  

Extremely awesome thing here that Sam Acho is doing along with a lot of other Chicago athletes including Mitch, Giolito, Toews, idonije, and more.  Walking the walk 

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Bye bye Redskins. 

Money talks. The Indians, Blackhawks, Chiefs and Braves are next. This doesn't get done without the threat from corporate sponsors. 

The Blackhawks might be able to get away with keeping their name if they separate it again and change their logo to a bird. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Money talks. The Indians, Blackhawks, Chiefs and Braves are next. This doesn't get done without the threat from corporate sponsors. 

The Blackhawks might be able to get away with keeping their name if they separate it again and change their logo to a bird. 

I’ll be shocked if anything changes with the Blackhawks. They’ve already made a statement saying they are proud of their logo, and they really didn’t receive a ton of backlash. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’ll be shocked if anything changes with the Blackhawks. They’ve already made a statement saying they are proud of their logo, and they really didn’t receive a ton of backlash. 

We'll see if they change their tune when corporate sponsors threaten to pull advertising and sponsorship. If it wasn't for that pressure, Snyder would have never changed his team's name/logo. They'd change the logo in about a week if that happened. Money makes the world go round. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

We'll see if they change their tune when corporate sponsors threaten to pull advertising. 

If they haven’t already......I don’t know why they will in the future. You can say what you will about the on-ice product, but Rocky knows how to run a business and make money. They didn’t put out that statement on a whim with no research. They obviously have the data to back up their feeling that the logo still plays in 2020. Lastly....corporate sponsors threaten to pull advertising when there is a huge public outcry from fans/media. Sponsors don’t do a thing because they have some moral obligation to the world. And so far....there really hasn’t been a big push for the Blackhawks to change. The Indian Head is much different than the Redskins or even Chief Wahoo.

Redskins and Indians have received backlash for years over their logos. Way different cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

If they haven’t already......I don’t know why they will in the future. You can say what you will about the on-ice product, but Rocky knows how to run a business and make money. They didn’t put out that statement on a whim with no research. They obviously have the data to back up their feeling that the logo still plays in 2020. Lastly....corporate sponsors threaten to pull advertising when there is a huge public outcry from fans/media. Sponsors don’t do a thing because they have some moral obligation to the world. And so far....there really hasn’t been a big push for the Blackhawks to change. The Indian Head is much different than the Redskins or even Chief Wahoo.

1. There hasn't been a huge push for the Blackhawks because of the Washington NFL franchise and the Cleveland MLB franchise had way worse name/logo combination. When those two aren't there to take the heat off of the Blackhawks, where will all of the attention go? 

2. While I agree with you...ultimately, it's not our call to make. My opinion lacks credibility, because it doesn't affect me. That's the bottom line. Brace yourselves, because it's just a matter of time. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

1. There hasn't been a huge push for the Blackhawks because of the Washington NFL franchise and the Cleveland MLB franchise had way worse name/logo combination. When those two aren't there to take the heat off of the Blackhawks, where will all of the attention go? 

2. While I agree with you...ultimately, it's not our call to make. My opinion lacks credibility, because it doesn't affect me. That's the bottom line. Brace yourselves, because it's just a matter of time. 

It's not the bottom line, so I don't need to brace myself. I believe you're wrong, as do many others. 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's not the bottom line, so I don't need to brace myself. I believe you're wrong, as do many others. 

And even if there is pressure still be had, there are other much worse logos and traditions out there than the Hawks.

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

When I said "that's the bottom line" I was referring to the idea that it's not our call to make, not that the logo would or wouldn't be changed. I don't think it's 100% certain but I do think the odds are >50%, and I do think that the majority of the media attention will be shifted toward the Blackhawks once Cleveland changes their name, which was what I was referring to when I said "it's just a matter of time" 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When I said "that's the bottom line" I was referring to the idea that it's not our call to make, not that the logo would or wouldn't be changed. I don't think it's 100% certain but I do think the odds are >50%, and I do think that the majority of the media attention will be shifted toward the Blackhawks once Cleveland changes their name. 

We disagree, but thats OK! 

Blackhawks isn't "racist" or even remotely close. It's the name of a NA tribe, a tribe that the Hawks honor at some home games. Indians is racist- not as bad as Redskins obviously- but Blackhawks isn't anything negative

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Blackhawks isn't "racist" or even remotely close. It's the name of a NA tribe, a tribe that the Hawks honor at some home games. Indians is racist- not as bad as Redskins obviously- but Blackhawks isn't anything negative

I think the biggest "issue" with the Blackhawks logo is at the end of the day it's an animated version of an Indian with face paint. 

Having said that, as the Blackhawks mentioned in their statement:

"The Chicago Blackhawks' name and logo symbolizes an important and historic person, Black Hawk of Illinois' Sac & Fox Nation, whose leadership and life has inspired generations of Native Americans, veterans and the public," 

That's a huge difference from Cleveland, who just picked a group of people to be their mascot, and created a random cartoon version of "Chief Wahoo"

Chief-Wahoo-Logo-History-Cleveland-India

We don't even need to get into the Redskins. I think based on the work the Blackhawks have done with different NA communities and the overall respect shown to the logo, I just don't see "big" issues moving forward. There are always going to be upset people....but that just comes with life. 

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think the biggest "issue" with the Blackhawks logo is at the end of the day it's an animated version of an Indian with face paint. 

Having said that, as the Blackhawks mentioned in their statement:

We don't even need to get into the Redskins. I think based on the work the Blackhawks have done with different NA communities and the overall respect shown to the logo, I just don't see "big" issues moving forward. There are always going to be upset people....but that just comes with life. 

There's a Wikipedia page on the Blackhawks name and you are correct a lot of the comments seem to specifically focus on the logo, but there are some more general statements out there as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks_name_and_logo_controversy

https://aicchicago.org/statement-on-blackhawks/

19 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Bye bye Redskins. 

I think the name will be red tails. There was a comment that the name isn't announced due to trademark negotiations and I know the Tuskegee Airmen own the trademark. Hopefully the Washington franchise donates money to the organization for the right to use the name.

Edited by ptatc