NCAA football thread 2019-2020

On 10/28/2019 at 10:22 AM, bigruss said:

Well, they followed up well.  Take care of business vs Rutgers and we have a great shot at going bowling.  MSU, Iowa, NW are all vulnerable, should be able to get 1 out of those 3 if the D keeps playing like this.

Pretty crazy that in two weeks it went from Fire Lovie to Maybe Going Bowling?  Taking care of business vs Rutgers is huge, a home game against the worst Power 5 team, you can't blow that as a 20 point favorite.  They should be able to run all over them and protect the ball.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:19 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

Pretty crazy that in two weeks it went from Fire Lovie to Maybe Going Bowling?  Taking care of business vs Rutgers is huge, a home game against the worst Power 5 team, you can't blow that as a 20 point favorite.  They should be able to run all over them and protect the ball.

Illinois has Rutgers, Michigan State, Iowa, and Northwestern.  They should win two of those games.  And honestly, they match up very very well against Michigan State.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Is Lovie Smith the best coach in Illinois right now?  Like wow.  As an Illini fan, I am so happy for him.

His emphasis on turnovers was great with the Bears and has translated to the Illini. Same old story though - his long term success will depend on what he can do with the offense. Awesome win v. MSU.

7 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

What rumors? I'm usually tuned into all things Illinois but have not heard anything about this.

From what I've heard, and it's not much on the official insider track, it's a lot of pieces here and there from unofficial leaks....

When the whole Jamal Walker thing went down it was because Whitman got wind of some of the "under the table" or "grey area" recruiting that he was doing.  He told Underwood that isn't an option at Illinois and told him to get rid of him, eventually compromising to pulling him off the recruiting trail and Underwood at least getting his boy Gentry to Illinois.  

Rumor, and this is a heavy rumor, is that Antigua was extremely pissed off about this, both from a recruiting side and a "stop meddling and impacting our staff" side.  Antigua isn't exactly known for shying away from that type of recruiting and it probably has a big effect on the ability to land the big fish recruits.  Some people were saying that Antigua will be gone after the season because of this, but who really knows.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone who hates Oklahoma and OU football is going to be annoyed seeing them yet again in the CFP.   Beating the same team twice isn’t easy, but these Sooners aren’t as strong as the last three teams with Mayfield and Murray.  That said, kudos to Jalen. Hurts.  Dude is just a winner, pure and simple.

Unless Wisconsin can beat OSU just enough to make the playoff but not knock Ohio State out altogether.

Everyone who hates Oklahoma and OU football is going to be annoyed seeing them yet again in the CFP.   Beating the same team twice isn’t easy, but these Sooners aren’t as strong as the last three teams with Mayfield and Murray.  That said, kudos to Jalen. Hurts.  Dude is just a winner, pure and simple.

Unless Wisconsin can beat OSU just enough to make the playoff but not knock Ohio State out altogether.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Who gets in if OSU loses?   OU?   Ohio State?   Wisconsin already has two losses.

Feel pretty confident OSU would destroy OU if they were actually motivated to play.

Well, most people would say the same thing about a Wisconsin matchup for Ohio State. It's very easy/lazy to just assume the Big 12 sucks, but its tradition I guess.

11 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Well, most people would say the same thing about a Wisconsin matchup for Ohio State. It's very easy/lazy to just assume the Big 12 sucks, but its tradition I guess.

If Oklahoma had a defense like Stoops’ first 5-6 years when Venables/M.Stoops were the coordinators...just don’t have any confidence in them stopping anyone when it really counts.  Have watched the same scenario play out over and over again recently under different coordinators and now Riley.

Baylor kind of came out of nowhere this year and Texas is down...

Notre Dame playing Iowa State in a bowl game. The team I grew up rooting for (come on, I'm a Chicago Irish Catholic) versus my alma mater. I don't watch a lot of football anymore, but will definitely need to watch this one.

Also fun trivia, these two schools have never played each other in football. Ever. Notre Dame has played every other school in the Big 12 multiple times.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:16 AM, NorthSideSox72 said:

Notre Dame playing Iowa State in a bowl game. The team I grew up rooting for (come on, I'm a Chicago Irish Catholic) versus my alma mater. I don't watch a lot of football anymore, but will definitely need to watch this one.

Also fun trivia, these two schools have never played each other in football. Ever. Notre Dame has played every other school in the Big 12 multiple times.

It's being billed around here as Catholics vs Combines

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Go Hawkeyes!   Breaking the string of six losses in a row to USC.   Slovis going down completely changed the game.

Smith Marsette looking like he will be first Hawkeye wide receiver/KR in ages to make it in the NFL.

Probably will lose Epenesa and Wirfs to the pros after four early departures last year.   Duncan has been one of the best kickers in Iowa history as well.

Pretty nice TE tradition w/ Clark, Kittle, Hockenson and Fant.  La Porta the next...has some Gronkowski to him, albeit not as explosive.

Stanley goes down as top 5 Iowa QB along with Chuck Long, Rick Stanzi, Matt Rodgers, Drew Tate.

What a great way to end the Hawkeye season. Beat the team I hate the most!!! Makes up at least somewhat for how much my Bears disappointed. Stanley is so frustrating. If dude could ever put together any form of true consistency this team could have been special. All the numbers he put up in his career at Iowa, but it was the games where he made zero plays that I will always remember about Stanley.  Still one of Iowa’s all time best QBs.