Sox sign Guyer to Minor League Deal

fathom

Unless the Sox are going on a talent acquiring spree the next couple of weeks, even though this is minor league, it is exactly the opposite, which seems to be a running theme this offseason, of the type of players Hahn said he would acquire. If you aren’t going to win, you might as well play your young crap, just in case something  clicks, than a older guy who can onky muster up a minor league pact, because he is a replacement level player.

it is minor league, so probably if he sucks in spring training he is released. I just think he doesn’t move the needle enough to blow off your younger players, even if they suck.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Whitesoxa6 said:

How many bench players could an organization possibly want? This guy is another version of lamarre. Absolutely pointless waste of a roster spot if he makes the team 

Not really.  He has raked LHP in his career.  IF (and its admittedly a big if at this point) the Sox add Machado and Joc, Guyer is a very nice platoon piece.  If he sucks in ST or early in the season, so what you cut him.  All three of Palka, Engel and Delmonico have options. 

Against RHP (post Eloy arrival):

Jon Jay RF

Joc CF

Machado 3B

Abreu 1B / DH

Eloy LF

Moncada 2B

Alonso DH / 1B

Castillo C

Anderson SS

BN: McCann, Sanchez, Leury, Guyer

Palka starts the year as the LF, goes down to AAA with Delmonico and Engel once Eloy arrives.  All three guys have options.

Against LHP (post Eloy arrival):

Jon Jay CF

Alonso DH / 1B

Machado 3B

Abreu 1B / DH

Eloy LF

Castillo C

Moncada 2B

Guyer RF

Anderson SS

BN: Joc, McCann, Sanchez, Leury

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not really.  He has raked LHP in his career.  IF (and its admittedly a big if at this point) the Sox add Machado and Joc, Guyer is a very nice platoon piece.  If he sucks in ST or early in the season, so what you cut him.  All three of Palka, Engel and Delmonico have options. 

Jon Jay RF

Joc CF

Machado 3B

Abreu 1B / DH

Eloy LF

Moncada 2B

Alonso DH / 1B

Castillo C

Anderson SS

Palka starts the year as the LF, goes down to AAA with Delmonico and Engel once Eloy arrives.  All three guys have options.

Jon Jay CF

Alonso DH / 1B

Machado 3B

Abreu 1B / DH

Eloy LF

Castillo C

Moncada 2B

Guyer RF

Anderson SS

Definitely have to swap Alonso and Guyer (really, anyone for that matter) in that second lineup. Otherwise, the rest looks fine.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Definitely have to swap Alonso and Guyer (really, anyone for that matter) in that second lineup. Otherwise, the rest looks fine.

sure - not really a natural 2 hitter in that lineup, and I do not want Moncada batting 2nd against LHP.  But yah, Guyer would work.  

Edited by ChiSox59
edited for clarity

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

sure - not really a natural 2 hitter in that lineup, and I do not want Moncada batting 2B against LHP.  But yah, Guyer would work.  

I was more looking at his OBP against lefties last season and career. Not good, but not as awful as Joc. If rosters somehow expand to 26 this year with a maximum of 12 pitchers, they can definitely add another bat to platoon with him (their boy Valencia!). But who knows if that will go into effect this year (probably not).

He's been terrible for the last 2 years...but I know, when he gets to Ricky's clubhouse, he'll turn it around...they all do.  No harm in signing him, but I hope they don't consider this  something serious.

I still don't see anyone who can play CF other than Engel and Leury, who can also play IF.  Leury has utility value - don't diminish it.

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He's been terrible for the last 2 years...but I know, when he gets to Ricky's clubhouse, he'll turn it around...they all do.  No harm in signing him, but I hope they don't consider this  something serious.

I still don't see anyone who can play CF other than Engel and Leury, who can also play IF.  Leury has utility value - don't diminish it.

He was more than fine against LHP last year and that’s the only role he should be used in.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:44 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Jon Jay RF

Joc CF

Machado 3B

Abreu 1B / DH

Eloy LF

Moncada 2B

Alonso DH / 1B

Castillo C

Anderson SS

Jon Jay CF

Alonso DH / 1B

Machado 3B

Abreu 1B / DH

Eloy LF

Castillo C

Moncada 2B

Guyer RF

Anderson SS

Wouldnt it be best to hit Moncada in front of Machado?  

10 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Wouldnt it be best to hit Moncada in front of Machado?  

I'd prefer Moncada lower in the lineup so he can just focus on hitting and not worry about the other things that come with leading off or batting second, but think he probably will bat 2nd against RHP.  He should definitely be lower against LHP.  

Batting in front of Machado, Abreu and Eloy would theoretically give him better pitches to hit, however.  

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd prefer Moncada lower in the lineup so he can just focus on hitting and not worry about the other things that come with leading off or batting second, but think he probably will bat 2nd against RHP.  He should definitely be lower against LHP.  

Batting in front of Machado, Abreu and Eloy would theoretically give him better pitches to hit, however.  

That's what I was thinking.