MLBPA proposals

southsider2k5

Some of those are going to be hard sells.  I'd like to see a universal DH, only to streamline things.  I like the idea of a 3 batter minimum...that would help speed the game up a bit.  Those are the two rule changes that I don't expect to be agreed upon.  I could see some of the others happening, though.

11 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Three batter minimum is not going to fly, so many bullpen lefties would be without a job then.

Would they though? Haven’t loogies become less common? 

My thought was it may lose relief pitchers jobs by making it more likely teams are back to 12 pitchers as getting an additional bench bat you could “stack” against a reliever would be more advantageous.

• Like 1

I could see a 3 batter minimum OR finish the inning rule.  It will speed up the game because of fewer mid-inning pitching changes.  It might even add some offense.  I like the 26 man roster too and it might lead to more pinch hitters, pinch runners, defensive replacements, or platoons.  That adds more strategy to the game which to me is good.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Universal DH makes too much sense. In over 1900 plate appearances, pitchers had a combined .115/.146/.150 slash line - good for a -23 wRC+. That is absolutely insane. There is no way that is good for the game of the game. 

But my friends who follow NL teams say it leads to more "strategy"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Universal DH makes too much sense. In over 1900 plate appearances, pitchers had a combined .115/.146/.150 slash line - good for a -23 wRC+. That is absolutely insane. There is no way that is good for the game of the game. 

Wow, that is great.  Do you mind sharing where you found that?

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Does anyone else feel like "Rewarding small market teams who are competitive" would just be another way to funnel unexplained draft picks to St. Louis?

St Louis found a way to stay competitive every year without spending a fortune or engage in the baseball-ruining practice of tanking and now, inexplicably, they are hated for it.

The Sox, Astros, Braves, Cubs, Padres...every team that has clearly lost intentionally...should be penalized severely. If I were in charge I'd start confiscating picks and banning these teams for international signings. This has spiraled so far out of control now.

6 hours ago, 103 mph screwball said:

I could see a 3 batter minimum OR finish the inning rule.

I think this is the way to go, and I like it for the reasons several have stated already. I also like the idea of a universal DH and a single trade deadline.

I don't like rewarding winning teams in the draft, as it will reduce parity. That said, a lottery system was all the NBA needed to stop tanking, that would likely work with MLB as well.

7 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Three batter minimum is not going to fly, so many bullpen lefties would be without a job then.

Literally that is the single biggest thing the game needs to do if it doesn't want to die.  The whol enter for one batter thing costs the game SO much time.  Imagine all the vistis, and warm ups.  There needs to be a 3 batter minimum or something to keep the game flowing.  If a RP can't get out RH hitters then he shouldn't be in the league, and vice versa

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Literally that is the single biggest thing the game needs to do if it doesn't want to die.  The whol enter for one batter thing costs the game SO much time.  Imagine all the vistis, and warm ups.  There needs to be a 3 batter minimum or something to keep the game flowing.  If a RP can't get out RH hitters then he shouldn't be in the league, and vice versa

I think its a much, much larger problem that half the league doesn't even try to win and would frankly rather lose.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I would think the MLBPA would propose some sort of draft reward system contingent on free agency spending. That doesn't necessarily reward winning teams while encouraging the worst teams with the lowest payrolls to spend in free agency, thus likely increasing parity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

While it does lead to more "strategy" it doesn't make the game any more fun or watchable...

I agree.  The pitcher hitting almost always leads to an out.  The only time strategy comes into play is when there is at least one runner on and less than two outs.  Otherwise, most pitchers go up and there and flail wildly or watch the strikes go by.