MLBPA proposals

southsider2k5

23 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

As I've stated... it isn't boring for someone already invested.  It isn't even boring for me.  It is boring for everyone who isn't invested in the game and for the young people.  Meaning the game isn't going to pickup any new fans.  Little league will die, athletes will choose other sports, the game will get worse and so forth.  They need to not make it boring for the casual fan or person who isn't a fan yet. 

Look if you think baseball is slow-paced I'd be happy to introduce you to cricket, which even in "exciting" formats like T20 is a slow, methodical game. Baseball is thrilling when its consequential, but deathly boring when it isn't. The game is almost perfect and doesn't need "fiixng", what needs fixing is the competitiveness of the teams.

37 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Let's say the Sox are winning by a run in the 9th inning. Alex Colome comes in to close it out but clearly doesn't have it that day. Walks the first hitter on four pitches. Do you really want him to have to face two more hitters because of an arbitrary rule that says he has to in order to speed up the game by a couple minutes? It makes zero sense. 

Maybe exempt the 9th and extra innings from the rule.

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Definitely not a casual fan. Just at a point in my life where I can't watch games almost 3 hour 30 minutes long with nothing happening. Missed someone of those good Astros/Dodgers games due to being so long and slow. 

That's another thing too. Start playoff games at 6:05/10 PM CT instead of 7:05/10.

Well, no matter what, it is hard to play 18 innings quickly.  😁

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Let's say the Sox are winning by a run in the 9th inning. Alex Colome comes in to close it out but clearly doesn't have it that day. Walks the first hitter on four pitches. Do you really want him to have to face two more hitters because of an arbitrary rule that says he has to in order to speed up the game by a couple minutes? It makes zero sense. 

If he's your closer, trust your closer to get the outs. That's why he's your closer. Pulling your closer because he has a rough start is bad managing.

18 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Closers also tend to find ways to get outs even when they're not on their game. If you don't have confidence that your closer can close out a game, find a different closer.

This isn't reality. 

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

You'd pretty much need to create a rule that if they are "removed due to injury" then they must go on the 10-day dl right away.

Great call. And if it’s the playoffs, that pitcher is out for the rest of the series. If it happens in a game 7, he is out for the next series. If it happens in game 7 of the World Series, so be it. I’m not worried about making World Series game 7’s less boring. 

8 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

So pitchers will pitch through pain, risking substantial injury, because they dont want to get a 10-day DL stint. I would worry about such a rule being made if I thought the union would even consider it for a second.

How often does it actually happen where pitchers need to be removed because of injury?

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

How often does it actually happen where pitchers need to be removed because of injury?

Enough that you shouldn't force a pitcher to stay in the game through discomfort. This idea is exactly how "elbow tightness" becomes "season-ending Tommy John".

Just now, KiwiSox said:

Enough that you shouldn't force a pitcher to stay in the game through discomfort. This idea is exactly how "elbow tightness" becomes "season-ending Tommy John".

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I’m genuinely curious how often you think it happens. For example, how many times do you think the Sox had to remove a pitcher this season due to an injury?

42 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I’m genuinely curious how often you think it happens. For example, how many times do you think the Sox had to remove a pitcher this season due to an injury?

It happens a lot when pitchers get nailed with a line drive. Most of the time the guy is fine for his next start or in a couple days but has a welt that prevents him from continuing that start/outing. If a pitcher gets nailed in the foot and has to continue or go on the DL, it could end up with more injuries because a pitcher's legs are really important, and they could get hurt. See Jake Peavy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I honestly don't think the faking injury thing is much of a problem at all. There are other situations where faking an injury is advantageous and teams don't do it because any scrutiny from the league will get people in trouble.

11 hours ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

All the talk about speeding up the game, yet how often does anyone mention the amount of commercial breaks? Is it just me or do the commercial breaks seem longer between innings in a baseball game than between quarters in a football game?

That was a part of my first post.. In between the innings give the pitcher JUST 3 pitches and the game is on.  No one else has balls. Just the pitcher. Way shorter break

11 hours ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

All the talk about speeding up the game, yet how often does anyone mention the amount of commercial breaks? Is it just me or do the commercial breaks seem longer between innings in a baseball game than between quarters in a football game?

There was a great Grant Brisbee article that basically dispelled this notion:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/a/mlb-2017-season-preview/game-length/amp