MLBPA proposals

southsider2k5

9 hours ago, GreenSox said:

A couple of those are fine, but "3 batter minimum for pitchers" is idiotic.    It's will last as long as pitchers start faking injuries.

Literally this wouldn't happen... Why would a pitcher say I am hurt so that he can come out of the game and stop helping my team?  This statement literally makes no sense

9 hours ago, GreenSox said:

A couple of those are fine, but "3 batter minimum for pitchers" is idiotic.    It's will last as long as pitchers start faking injuries.

Make it a rule that if a pitcher leaves a game due to injury during the 3 batter minimum the pitcher goes to the 7 day DL for 1st offense.  15 day DL for second offense.  Maybe make an exception for being hit by a batted ball.

• Thanks 1

1. Universal DH should definitely be a thing. It's long overdue and I don't think I need to repeat the argument why.

2. I DON'T like the pitch to 3-batter rule. First, the whole injury scenario that is being discussed is a legitimate concern. If a pitcher feels a tweak he may be more inclined to try to pitch a few more batters to not break the rule and suffer a DL stint of sorts. That could lead to an increase in devastating injuries. I think this rule is similiar to the 'no-shift' rules. It's like saying 'we can't beat it, so let's make a rule against it.' I realize that that this is more for the entertainment of the viewer, but perhaps there could be ways to streamline this process or better reward pitchers who pitch more innings, idk.

The limit of 3 seems arbitrary. Why not 2? Why not 4? Just because it's one inning? What if you get 1 out of 3? You can be pulled then? etc. 

There's gotta be better ways to 'fix' the game then forcing RP to face 3 batters or limiting how many pitchers you can use per game. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

1. Universal DH should definitely be a thing. It's long overdue and I don't think I need to repeat the argument why.

2. I DON'T like the pitch to 3-batter rule. First, the whole injury scenario that is being discussed is a legitimate concern. If a pitcher feels a tweak he may be more inclined to try to pitch a few more batters to not break the rule and suffer a DL stint of sorts. That could lead to an increase in devastating injuries. I think this rule is similiar to the 'no-shift' rules. It's like saying 'we can't beat it, so let's make a rule against it.' I realize that that this is more for the entertainment of the viewer, but perhaps there could be ways to streamline this process or better reward pitchers who pitch more innings, idk.

The limit of 3 seems arbitrary. Why not 2? Why not 4? Just because it's one inning? What if you get 1 out of 3? You can be pulled then? etc. 

There's gotta be better ways to 'fix' the game then forcing RP to face 3 batters or limiting how many pitchers you can use per game. 

I was thinking maybe you could have a rule that your relief pitcher needs to be warmed up before you bring him in. Give him 3 pitches or a time limit or something to make it a shorter process...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Literally this wouldn't happen... Why would a pitcher say I am hurt so that he can come out of the game and stop helping my team?  This statement literally makes no sense

"Literally" because he's ineffective and is not helping his team when he is...that is why

1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

I was thinking maybe you could have a rule that your relief pitcher needs to be warmed up before you bring him in. Give him 3 pitches or a time limit or something to make it a shorter process...

The problem with the "warmup" things is that this is commercial break time and MLB doesn't want to give that away because that's money being given away. Frankly, they shouldn't have to, it's not the driving force in these games being longer. Get the batter in the box and throw a pitch.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:25 AM, iWiN4PreP said:

I like adding the caveat of "3 batters or finish the inning", since the whole point is to cut down on mid inning pitching changes. Changing pitchers between innings isn't as much of a delay.

I like quirky, weird rules so the distinction between NL/AL to me is endearing.  Same with a lot of things people complain about. I kinda like blown calls and huge gaffes. Makes things interesting.

Also, I dont really watch sports to "marvel" at feats or anything. I just am emotionally invested in my teams, am following some narrative or have some gambling interest. I'm in it for the outcome and tension. I wouldn't care if you took every major leaguer in existence and replaced them with college kids in MLB uniforms. As long as there is a contested outcome I'll tune in and get invested one way or another.

Edited by KiwiSox

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/manfred-designated-hitter-dh-universal-national-league-nl-rejects.html

DH unlikely until the current CBA expires.

100% understand why it wouldn't start this year as that is something that should be known going into a new off-season. But it should be effective as early as 2020 IMO.

Edited by soxfan2014

I’m actually surprised to see nothing about defensive shifts on there. I’m on the fence about the subject but I know a lot of casual baseball fans that complain about it. It kinda ties into my next point...

Speeding up the game is important, but I also think figuring out how to get more balls hit into play is important. K rates have gone bonkers. More balls in play leads to more potential excitement all around. Obviously easier said than done, no one is striking out on purpose, but I think most casual fans can’t handle pitchers duels 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

The 3 batter rule is stupid.  If the concern is that there are too many pitching changes, make a rule that if you pitch in a game, no matter to how many batters, you can't pitch in the next game.  Managers would naturally limit the number of pitching changes to no more than 3-4 a game.  

I like and agree with your strategy of alternatives to the 3-batter rule, however your solution is even worse then the 3 batter rule IMO.

I haven't run any statistics or anything, but I'm pretty sure that it happens quite often where closers or MR pitch in back to back games. Forcing this to stop would not be a good idea and be a major change. 

• Haha 1

The three batter minimum is dumb. Don’t tell managers how to manage. 

Then tell the offensive manager that he can’t replace a hitter once he’s announced. No more pinch hitting after the opposing manager makes a pitching change. 

And what does three batters mean? Are we going to see a relief pitcher come in a play first base or left field and flip flop between hitters?  What if the manager brings in two pitchers at once? Does pitcher playing first base for the first batter fall under these rules? Can’t he play first base for Batter 1, pitch to Batter 2 and then be replaced by a backup first baseman for Batter 3? Flip flopping players like that takes just seconds. Probably done by the time the on deck hitter walks to the plate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zenryan said:

Then tell the offensive manager that he can’t replace a hitter once he’s announced. No more pinch hitting after the opposing manager makes a pitching change. 

And what does three batters mean? Are we going to see a relief pitcher come in a play first base or left field and flip flop between hitters?  What if the manager brings in two pitchers at once? Does pitcher playing first base for the first batter fall under these rules? Can’t he play first base for Batter 1, pitch to Batter 2 and then be replaced by a backup first baseman for Batter 3? Flip flopping players like that takes just seconds. Probably done by the time the on deck hitter walks to the plate. 

Well...since you brought it up: 

May 15, 1951 – It was a testament to the managerial genius of Sox skipper Paul Richards. It had been 30 years since the league saw a move like this.

In the ninth inning of a game in Boston where the White Sox were winning 7-6, relief pitcher Harry Dorish was removed in favor of Billy Pierce to face the left handed hitting Ted Williams, only Dorish wasn’t removed from the game! He was moved to third base. Pierce retired Williams on a pop up, then was taken out of the game and Dorish put back on the mound. Boston eventually tied the game but the White Sox would have the last laugh, winning 9-7 in 11 innings.

The victory marked the start of a 14 game win streak, with 11 of the wins on the road. On May 30 after sweeping the St. Louis Browns, the Sox record stood at 26-9.

lol, nice. I know the Cubs did it a year or two ago with a pitcher and left field?

Rays did it last year twice. One game Romo finished the 8th, started the 9th at third base before finishing off the game. Jose Alvarado did it as well but he played first base for a hitter. 

2 hours ago, zenryan said:

In the game for 3 batters or until finishing the inning. No getting another pitcher out of the bullpen until one of those conditions is met.

59 minutes ago, zenryan said:

lol, nice. I know the Cubs did it a year or two ago with a pitcher and left field?

Rays did it last year twice. One game Romo finished the 8th, started the 9th at third base before finishing off the game. Jose Alvarado did it as well but he played first base for a hitter. 

Yeah the Cubs did it when they ran out of pitchers. I think Wood was in LF for a batter, faced a lefty on the mound, and then went back out to LF or something like that lol

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah the Cubs did it when they ran out of pitchers. I think Wood was in LF for a batter, faced a lefty on the mound, and then went back out to LF or something like that lol

13 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think it was whitey Herzog who did this a lot with Todd worrell, I think. He would bring in a lefty and send worrell to RF for that hitter.