MLBPA proposals

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I like and agree with your strategy of alternatives to the 3-batter rule, however your solution is even worse then the 3 batter rule IMO.

I haven't run any statistics or anything, but I'm pretty sure that it happens quite often where closers or MR pitch in back to back games. Forcing this to stop would not be a good idea and be a major change. 

I'd much prefer that than forcing a relieve to throw to 3 batters no matter what when he doesn't have his stuff that day.  Managers would have to use closers more efficiently.  No more coming in during the 9th when up by 3 runs in order to pad the players save stat.  Closers would be used more naturally in high leverage situations.  

Edited by ChiSox1917

FWIW, I think limiting the roster to 12 pitchers would help accomplish many of the same goals the 3-batter rule would without directly outlawing rapid-fire pitching changes. It would also incentivize the development of two-way players, albeit with the risk that it promotes more use of position players on the mound who aren't pitchers at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Major League Baseball is prepared to scuttle the implementation of a pitch clock until at least 2022 as part of a wide-ranging proposal to the MLB Players Association that would include the ability to implement a three-batter-minimum rule for pitchers and roster-size changes in 2020, sources familiar with the plan told ESPN.

MLB also is proposing limitations on position players' usage as pitchers, getting rid of the waiver trading period, further cutting mound visits and potentially shortening inning breaks, sources said.

The proposal, sent by the league on Tuesday, is the latest in a back-and-forth bargaining session centered around the league's unilateral ability to implement a 20-second pitch clock. Amid tension between the parties stemming from a free-agent market that players have found unsatisfactory, the league, which is testing the pitch clock in spring training games, offered not to revisit the issue until after the 2021 expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement as part of a broader set of rules changes.

The most controversial aspect is the three-batter-minimum rule for pitchers. The desire to increase the pace and speed of games could be aided by the rule, which aims to end the carousel of relief pitchers that has become so commonplace late in games. Under the proposal, the league would have the right to implement the rule -- which has a caveat for injured pitchers -- in 2020.

That year, rosters also would be expanded by one to 26 players, with a maximum of 13 pitchers, according to sources. While the league's proposal includes a mandated 28-man roster with a 14-pitcher cap in September, the union has chafed at limiting roster sizes when teams currently can use as many as 40 players in the season's final month.

MLB took the union's suggestion of a single trade deadline before the All-Star break and countered by keeping the current July 31 deadline in place but eliminating trades in August for players who clear waivers, sources said. The league did, in the proposal, agree to abide by the union's suggestion for reduced mound visits -- from six to five in 2019 and five to four in 2020.

More at link

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26089271/mlb-prepared-ditch-clock-2022

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a number of these are now official for this year and next year. Single trade deadline for this year with all star reformats, roster changes and 3 batter per pitcher limit coming in 2020. MLBPA and MLB also agree to begin negotiating on a CBA fix immediately.

What will be in place this summer are a single July 31 trade deadline, an election day and, both sides hope, a Home Run Derby with the game's biggest stars. Deals after the non-waiver deadline made August a hotbed for incremental upgrades by teams, and the union's hope is that getting rid of them will cause teams to be more aggressive in the offseason knowing that the fallback for August deals no longer is an option.

Though the consequences of the single trade deadline are unknown, the impact of an election day is clear: MLB gives itself a much-needed opportunity to market its players. Fans will vote online for All-Star starters, and the top three vote-getters will take part in a one-day election, which could lead to a bevy of clever electioneering, social-media engagement and displays of personality players rarely show.

It will culminate in an All-Star week that includes a Home Run Derby with $2.5 million in prize money, including $1 million for the winner, according to sources.

The 2020 provisions are likely to have a far greater impact on the field. In addition to the three-batter minimum, regular-season rosters will expand from 25 to 26 players while September rosters will contract to a maximum of 28. A committee between the sides that will study the game is expected to make recommendations on the maximum number of pitchers allowed on the rosters, a source told ESPN. In negotiations, the league proposed 13 during the first five months of the season and 14 in September.

The number of position players pitching could see a significant decrease as well. Under the agreement, players will be designated as position players or pitchers -- with the exception of those who throw 20-plus innings and start 20 games in the field or at DH, who will be two-way players. Position players will be allowed to pitch only in extra innings or when their team is ahead or behind by more than seven runs.

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Sounds like a number of these are now official for this year and next year. Single trade deadline for this year with all star reformats, roster changes and 3 batter per pitcher limit coming in 2020. MLBPA and MLB also agree to begin negotiating on a CBA fix immediately.

I hope they hammer out a DH in the NL rule before next off-season so it can go into effect in 2020.

Edited by soxfan2014

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The designated player or pitcher is interesting.  I like the 3 batter minimum. This will phase out the LOOGY but the extra roster spot will add money for the union so it works for both sides. Hopefully the CBA discussion will help avoid a work stoppage. 

Edited by ptatc

I can't believe how many people try to argue that the 3 batter rule limits what a manager can do so it is therefore bad. 

Disagree with how it affects balance/flow/whatever all you want,  but saying a rule shouldn't dictate strategy is one of the dumber things I've ever heard. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mqr said:

I can't believe how many people try to argue that the 3 batter rule limits what a manager can do so it is therefore bad. 

Disagree with how it affects balance/flow/whatever all you want,  but saying a rule shouldn't dictate strategy is one of the dumber things I've ever heard. 

Agreed. It does limit it but so what. The rules that dictate how many players can be on the field at one dictate what the manager can do. That's the purpose of rules. If it is beneficial for the game, it's a good rule. Institute the rule and see how it goes. They can always modify it later.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:14 PM, ChiSox1917 said:

I'd much prefer that than forcing a relieve to throw to 3 batters no matter what when he doesn't have his stuff that day.  Managers would have to use closers more efficiently.  No more coming in during the 9th when up by 3 runs in order to pad the players save stat.  Closers would be used more naturally in high leverage situations.  

Important exception if the inning ends first, no three batter rule. With two outs you can bring your loogy in.