Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

MLBPA proposals

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah the Cubs did it when they ran out of pitchers. I think Wood was in LF for a batter, faced a lefty on the mound, and then went back out to LF or something like that lol

13 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah the Cubs did it when they ran out of pitchers. I think Wood was in LF for a batter, faced a lefty on the mound, and then went back out to LF or something like that lol

I think it was whitey Herzog who did this a lot with Todd worrell, I think. He would bring in a lefty and send worrell to RF for that hitter.

5 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I like and agree with your strategy of alternatives to the 3-batter rule, however your solution is even worse then the 3 batter rule IMO.

I haven't run any statistics or anything, but I'm pretty sure that it happens quite often where closers or MR pitch in back to back games. Forcing this to stop would not be a good idea and be a major change. 

I'd much prefer that than forcing a relieve to throw to 3 batters no matter what when he doesn't have his stuff that day.  Managers would have to use closers more efficiently.  No more coming in during the 9th when up by 3 runs in order to pad the players save stat.  Closers would be used more naturally in high leverage situations.  

Edited by ChiSox1917

FWIW, I think limiting the roster to 12 pitchers would help accomplish many of the same goals the 3-batter rule would without directly outlawing rapid-fire pitching changes. It would also incentivize the development of two-way players, albeit with the risk that it promotes more use of position players on the mound who aren't pitchers at all.