July 2, 2019 The Thread

southsider2k5

FG had him with red sox for a while in chats, so this probably means it's a done deal (props to @Y2Jimmy0)

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that this is the execution of this class, but I hope like hell Sanchez turns out to have transformed in the meantime, and rips the ball once he's here. He could be a phenomenal asset.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

FG had him with red sox for a while in chats, so this probably means it's a done deal (props to @Y2Jimmy0)

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that this is the execution of this class, but I hope like hell Sanchez turns out to have transformed in the meantime, and rips the ball once he's here. He could be a phenomenal asset.

Man I agree. I was really hoping this wouldn't be how it turned out. Ugh... I just picture us trading away the rest of the money for more AAAA garbage. There have only been a few things in the rebuild that have annoyed me and I think this is one of them. We have had years of doing nothing to prepare for THIS class and this is all we are getting for it.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's kind of an odd fit too no? IF profile right? Already 22. What do you do with him if he pans out? Tim is at SS. Madrigal will likely be at 2B in the near future? Seems pretty redundant. Does he or someone else become a trade chip?

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

He's kind of an odd fit too no? IF profile right? Already 22. What do you do with him if he pans out? Tim is at SS. Madrigal will likely be at 2B in the near future? Seems pretty redundant. Does he or someone else become a trade chip?

Madrigal is still just a prospect and the more up the middle talent the better. Also, he could be your back up infielder. You don't pass up on talent because of redundancy.

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

We don't really have any SS prospects remotely close so that makes sense. If his D is as extraordinary as they say, and his bat is somehow better than very pedestrian Cuban league numbers, then you have a trade piece.

And for sox who just appear often very conservative in wanting to get any production out of INTL, I can see them thinking "this is a guy with sure thing ML skill, let's get him instead of 10 projection guys who could have 1 ML skill"

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

This may be wishful thinking, but maybe the Sox can make a run at Yiddi Cappe.  I know it says he has a deal in place for 2020, but from what I read (and correct me if I'm wrong) he's eligible for this class and maybe the Cuban connection and them not really being tied to anyone big other than Yolbert (& Tatis) can help them out.  Probably a pipe dream, but that's my hope. 

9 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

This may be wishful thinking, but maybe the Sox can make a run at Yiddi Cappe.  I know it says he has a deal in place for 2020, but from what I read (and correct me if I'm wrong) he's eligible for this class and maybe the Cuban connection and them not really being tied to anyone big other than Yolbert (& Tatis) can help them out.  Probably a pipe dream, but that's my hope. 

I do not know very much about Cappe, who has the best write up?

edit: nvm saw the post from jimmy in other thread

7 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah they're signing him. Curious to see where the rest of the money goes and to hear what they see in the development of the bat. 

37 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah they're signing him. Curious to see where the rest of the money goes and to hear what they see in the development of the bat. 

I mean, they don't have a shortstop underneath anderson in the organization aside from Mendick (stretch) until you get down to A-ball and even then that's an unknown. 

Obviously, there is Madrigal.

I just worry most, considering how they jump and throw resources at older Cuban talent, that they undervalue the international market of 16 year olds and overvalue players they can "see", which was my issue in the draft avoiding HSers until this year too.

But if they got a positive rating from Paddy, they do what they gotta do. I hate it but oh well, I really hope he transformed while he was away from baseball.

10 hours ago, bmags said:

I mean, they don't have a shortstop underneath anderson in the organization aside from Mendick (stretch) until you get down to A-ball and even then that's an unknown. 

Obviously, there is Madrigal.

I just worry most, considering how they jump and throw resources at older Cuban talent, that they undervalue the international market of 16 year olds and overvalue players they can "see", which was my issue in the draft avoiding HSers until this year too.

But if they got a positive rating from Paddy, they do what they gotta do. I hate it but oh well, I really hope he transformed while he was away from baseball.

I wonder if they missed out on guys during this period over the uncertainty of which class Robert would be in. These guys agree to deals at 13 or 14 years old usually. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I really hope we don't go after him. A couple of the articles I was reading a while back on cuban prospects left on the island mentioned how he is probably overrated because of his name. Apparently he is horrible against breaking balls and is way too much of a free swinger, and as much as people will probably talk about his defense and speed, really its only good but not great speed and a big arm but not necessarily good reads or jumps.

I would much prefer we wait to see what other guys pop up. There were a few that were supposed to be on the list of guys in that MLB-Cuba agreement (like Yoelkis) that I feel like might try to defect now that they got so close only to have it fall through at the last second.

12 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I wonder if they missed out on guys during this period over the uncertainty of which class Robert would be in. These guys agree to deals at 13 or 14 years old usually. 

That's a good point.  They very well may have. But one name I thought the Sox are tied to was the younger Tatis brother?  $400 - $500k? I guess he's not a top 40 prospect. But I thought it was for this upcoming  J2 class. And that's still a sizable bonus. 

40 minutes ago, smellysox said:

My gut tells me They're going to roll out 3 - 4 kids with bonuses between $300 - $500k. None will be top 30 or even top 40 - just mid tier talent.

They've done that before and gotten solid guys. Mieses, Comas, Sosa etc. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They've done that before and gotten solid guys. Mieses, Comas, Sosa etc. 

Oh, I totally agree. I think that's a solid haul of guys. And if they do that again with the younger Tatis brother, a few other mid tier guys, and Sanchez. That's potential for a good haul too. 

I forgot where I read it - may have been from Soxfest?- but someone asked Hahn about this J2 signing period coming up and being out of the penalty. I thought he alluded to that we were going to sign some kids and it would be announced then. Sorry. If I remember and find it then I'll link it.

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

Oh, I totally agree. I think that's a solid haul of guys. And if they do that again with the younger Tatis brother, a few other mid tier guys, and Sanchez. That's potential for a good haul too. 

I forgot where I read it - may have been from Soxfest?- but someone asked Hahn about this J2 signing period coming up and being out of the penalty. I thought he alluded to that we were going to sign some kids and it would be announced then. Sorry. If I remember and find it then I'll link it.

I am struggling with honestly evaluating their international pipeline in the face of Robert, however, I think with the penalty I wanted a restocking, and spending so much on Sanchez doesn't do that. What we are talking about is a fairly normal class, and despite maybe getting some productive players in 17/18 (jose rodriguez, bailey/already forgot the pitcher), they were light on volume. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Was about to come post this. Kinda crazy how committing to a team changes things.

35 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He’s going to report the signings just not evaluate them right?

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

He’s going to report the signings just not evaluate them right?

I imagine he would. I mean each team is going to also report their own signings. Or at least the players they want us to know about. Jesse Sanchez at mlb.com May rank them. I don't know if he's going to take the same stance?