July 2, 2019 The Thread

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I imagine he would. I mean each team is going to also report their own signings. Or at least the players they want us to know about. Jesse Sanchez at mlb.com May rank them. I don't know if he's going to take the same stance?

I would bet Sanchez does, fangraphs already has. 

Nothing we didn't know in BA's July 2nd preview.

Chicago White Sox

The White Sox have signed several Cuban players in recent years. They gave their $300,000 maximum bonus last year to a pair of Cuban infielders, Harold Diaz and Bryan Ramos, and $250,000 to Cuban first baseman Alberto Bernal. This year their top target appears to be Yolbert Sanchez, a 22-year-old shortstop from Cuba. They're also linked to Dominican shortstop Elijah Tatis, younger brother of Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr., who originally signed with the White Sox as an amateur.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-mlb-international-signing-preview/

Edited by DirtySox

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Vera was probably my favorite pitcher that was going to be released. Reports he could get his fastball up to 95 and that he has a raw feel for both a slider and a curve. He was also one of only a few who were described as possible starters in the majors while most other were thought to be relievers. He is a bit wild, but then again so are most of the pitchers in the CNS and he is younger than them. People there seem to say that pitchers aren't really coached well and are often out of sync in their deliveries which a MLB development staff should be able to fix.

If he is cleared during this period, I would love to get him. I expect more of the guys that were on that release list to defect, which is one reason I want to save the money we were going to give Yolbert Sanchez and see who pops up later.

45 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Is is just me, or does it seem like the Sox have their head up their a$$ by only being connected to Yolbert Sanchez and little Tatis? I was expecting more with two years to prepare?

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

Is is just me, or does it seem like the Sox have their head up their a$$ by only being connected to Yolbert Sanchez and little Tatis? I was expecting more with two years to prepare?

Not just you.  This to me, looks like another organizational failure.  They literally had years to prepare, and seemingly had no one really on the docket. 

Even if Sanchez is really good, it is like, what the heck have you been doing the last 2 years?

Edited by turnin' two

The Baseball America article, as well as relative ( with heavy emphasis on relative!) success of recent classes by paddy, I'm going to give benefit of the doubt. 

We did not think anything much happened in 18, then had a really nice writeup of activity from Badler in his year in review.

So when we get those in december, I will be anxious to see. 

This is not the process I'd like to see, but, I really want it to work out.

So not related to the 2019 class, but I thought I would put it here anyway because this is the most recent LatAm discussions.

One of the guys I was really excited about us signing when word came out about half way through last period was this guy Patrick Merino. It sounded like a couple teams wanted him after he had a great showcase, but that he was going to sign with us. I guess the Cuban connection was paying off again. It was supposed to have happened several months ago. It never did. He ended up signing with the Rays for $375K. Given that he is 20 in the DSL you might be skeptical, but so far he has hit 3 HRs in 4 games in a league where it is notoriously difficult to hit homeruns. Maybe instead of convincing Yolbert Sanchez to wait we should have been doing that with Merino. It will be fun (read: excruciating) to see what he becomes and see if we messed up another one!

https://www.mlb.com/player/patrick-merino-691193?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2019

Just now, GenericUserName said:

So not related to the 2019 class, but I thought I would put it here anyway because this is the most recent LatAm discussions.

One of the guys I was really excited about us signing when word came out about half way through last period was this guy Patrick Merino. It sounded like a couple teams wanted him after he had a great showcase, but that he was going to sign with us. I guess the Cuban connection was paying off again. It was supposed to have happened several months ago. It never did. He ended up signing with the Rays for $375K. Given that he is 20 in the DSL you might be skeptical, but so far he has hit 3 HRs in 4 games in a league where it is notoriously difficult to hit homeruns. Maybe instead of convincing Yolbert Sanchez to wait we should have been doing that with Merino. It will be fun (read: excruciating) to see what he becomes and see if we messed up another one!

https://www.mlb.com/player/patrick-merino-691193?stats=career-r-hitting-minors&year=2019

that sucks. Especially since leal looks terrible so far.

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

thanks! Just in case anyone wants more info on Sanchez, who is the only guy we have info on:

Known for his elite defense, Sanchez's polished glove might be ready for the big leagues now. According to scouts, he can spray the ball from "line to line" and is considered a line-drive hitter. He ultimately projects to hit eight to 10 homers in the big leagues. He is also known for his average to slightly above average arm as well as an average to slightly above average running ability. Scouts also like his game instincts and track record.

Sanchez was the starting shortstop for the Havana Industriales and projected to be the starting shortstop for the island's national team before his defection last summer. He was the starting shortstop for Cuba's 23U team in Panama and was a teammate of White Sox prospect Luis Robert on the country's 18U team.

Because of his age and experience, Sanchez will sign under the international signing guidelines. The Orioles, who came up short in their pursuit of Cuban outfielders Victor Victor Mesa and Victor Mesa Jr. and Cuban pitcher Sandy Gaston, still have close to $6 million in bonus pool money and were among the first teams to scout Sanchez in person. Should the Orioles decide to trade away their bonus money, the Twins, Brewers, Pirates, D-backs, Rockies, Indians, Royals, Tigers, Mariners, Blue Jays and Giants could be possible partners and thus be in a position to make a substantial offer.

The Dodgers, Phillies, Rangers, Cubs and Red Sox have money to spend during the current signing period. The Astros, Mets, Cardinals and White Sox could be among the teams in play for Sanchez if he decides to wait until the next signing period that starts July 2.

Sanchez is represented by Ulises Cabrera of Octagon and trains with Edwin Castillo in the Dominican Republic.

17 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Not just you.  This to me, looks like another organizational failure.  They literally had years to prepare, and seemingly had no one really on the docket. 

Even if Sanchez is really good, it is like, what the heck have you been doing the last 2 years?

Whose to say they didn’t determine none of the other bigger bonus guys were worth signing so the used it on Tolbert? We won’t know if it was a failure for like 10 years. 

2 hours ago, mqr said:

Whose to say they didn’t determine none of the other bigger bonus guys were worth signing so the used it on Tolbert? We won’t know if it was a failure for like 10 years. 

How good he is or isn't isn't the point.  It is that they still, even beside him, and over 3.5 million to spend and couldn't lock down one of the premier talents.  They also couldn't have known about him until, what, December or something?  Meaning at the time, they had really no one lined up?  That seems like an organizational failure to me.  I could be being overly negative here.  But I think the FO has earned some negativity.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Going to be hard to evaluate what teams are doing now that players commit so early that they are rarely seen by outside evaluators.

Yes, this, and the (again, early and relative) success of Ramos, Diaz, Rodriguez and interesting start for Guzman, along with success of Robert and Tatis has given me a more positive view of Paddy's operations and giving more patience here.

We are seeing success from guys not even mentioned on J2. We are seeing commitments from guys that haven't been seen in 2 years. I'm anxiously waiting for Badlers December writeup, because his 2018 year in review for the sox had way more prospects and was way more positive than I expected. 

I would have loved to blow this all on Jasson Dominguez, but the yanks are able to do that because of reputation. If we can get these guys paydays the next few years, I think we are really at the point that things are turning around.

^positve post of day.

That, and Paddy has done a good job of recommending this top talent. So if he truly wanted to go after Sanchez, I'm willing to wait and see if there is more than meets the eye.