July 2, 2019 The Thread

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The article is behind a paywall, but the talk of the International Class of 2019 is starting.  Anyone want to let us know if the Sox are listed for anyone?

The White Sox aren't listed for any of these "top guys". Most of them are landing bonuses of upwards of $4 million. It'll be curious to see how Sox play this. They only have like $5 million to spend so they may just have multiple $1 million expenditures. 

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox aren't listed for any of these "top guys". Most of them are landing bonuses of upwards of $4 million. It'll be curious to see how Sox play this. They only have like $5 million to spend so they may just have multiple $1 million expenditures. 

And honestly I think that makes sense given we sat out two periods.  Probably not the right time to go all-in on one higher end talent.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And honestly I think that makes sense given we sat out two periods.  Probably not the right time to go all-in on one higher end talent.

I agree with this, Sox should go for quantity this time around after 2 years out of the market. Maybe next J2 go for a big pool fish.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Hopefully Yolbert Sanchez doesn't sign any time soon. I would think if he was taking the Orioles offer, he would be taking it pretty soon if he wanted to get in to the minors at the start of 2019.

I hope he signs with Baltimore. I don't have much interest in the Sox signing him. 

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I hope he signs with Baltimore. I don't have much interest in the Sox signing him. 

Agreed. The profile seems like one you can find decently easily. Goodish defender that might have plus speed but no power and questionable hit tool against major league quality pitching.

Unless we really just have a ton of money left over, I would really want to save it to see if any other Cubans pop up during the signing period. To me there are still a couple on the island who would be worth it more than Sanchez including what to me is the big prize in Pedro Leon. With the rate at which top guys are leaving and the MLB-Cuba deal seemingly dead, there is probably a good chance he decides to leave in the near future.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Personally, I would rather the Sox give out a few bonuses north of $1 million to talented guys than one $5 million bonus to arguably the most talented guy. International prospects are such crap shoots that I think it is better to spread that risk (and reward) over several really good players (as currently scouting) than one top player (as currently scouted). Basically, not getting one top 5 guy, but rathe r5 top 30 guts.

Hopefully that's the Sox strategy. 

27 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Personally, I would rather the Sox give out a few bonuses north of $1 million to talented guys than one $5 million bonus to arguably the most talented guy. International prospects are such crap shoots that I think it is better to spread that risk (and reward) over several really good players (as currently scouting) than one top player (as currently scouted). Basically, not getting one top 5 guy, but rathe r5 top 30 guts.

Hopefully that's the Sox strategy. 

I don't know, the yankees cubs rangers braves seem to go after the top talents every year and they seem to get good production, while the sox keep saying they are playing the quantity game and we have 1 player in the last 6 years that might be in AA that wasn't a professional cuban player to show for it.

54 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know, the yankees cubs rangers braves seem to go after the top talents every year and they seem to get good production, while the sox keep saying they are playing the quantity game and we have 1 player in the last 6 years that might be in AA that wasn't a professional cuban player to show for it.

True. Nobody wants to hear this but Paddy did identify Tatis (27th in the class) and pay him $700K

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He doesn't sound like anything special, but you can never have enough middle infield depth.

He's almost major league ready though and 22 years old. I don't really see room in Chicago for him. They should be spending the $$ on 16 year olds. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

True. Nobody wants to hear this but Paddy did identify Tatis (27th in the class) and pay him $700K

He's almost major league ready though and 22 years old. I don't really see room in Chicago for him. They should be spending the $$ on 16 year olds. 

The funny part is the initial reaction was to mock him for signing someone's son.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And they guy they hold up to show they improved (Adolfo) was one of the top three signings in the class.

Look at the top 5 from 2017:

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/top-international-prospects-sign-on-july-2/c-239881502

Franco may be top prospect in baseball by July

Flores was very highly thought of before tragically dying

Marte had vision issues that voided that contract, not even sure if he was considered top 5 after that

Pereira is already top 15 in the yankees system

Pardinho is ranked 7th in Jays system and had 64ks in 50 IP in Rookie league.

All this to say, these kids are still mostly 18 and already important prospects! Not "maybe we'll see them in A ball after 7 years" type prospects, but legit value guys.

So, basically, sign the top guys. That's complicated though, because the scouts start these relationships when these guys are 14 and it just happens that the yanks, rays, twins, cubs ( in past) have been better about getting on these guys earlier.

Now money isn't everything, and if sox have a list that looks like yankees last year I'll be pretty happy:

https://www.mlb.com/news/july-2-international-prospects-signing-tracker/c-283495622

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

sorry to beg but 

If anyone is linked to sox I'd be much appreciated. 

20 names total so far and nobody linked to the White Sox as of yet. Badler stated at the top that every team other than Atlanta will be active. Just because these are the 20 players mentioned, it doesn't mean these are the top 20 guys available. It's still pretty frustrating to see the Sox linked to nobody though since they've had two years to figure out signings for this class. Fangraphs has a piece out with some of the top names for 2020 and 2021 and it says many of those top players had agreements in place at the age of 14. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/updated-july-2-prospect-rankings/

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
Forgot a link

Badler said 30 players are getting a 1 mill bonus. We wondered if the cap would lower the cost of players making more 300k people. Turns out it's more like salary cap leagues, the top players probably getting less, and the middle players gaining more.

Interesting lesson for the mlb players.

13 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Any team who doesn't use all of the international pool is stupid. 5m is nothing and there is so much value. Can't leave that on the table.

I think what bothers me most is they keep posing that they would rather sign in volume with lower level guys since 16 year olds are such a crap shoot, yet the only players they have signed since 2013 that will make it to AA are all top 30 guys that they paid for: Adolfo, Robert and the lower end of this is tatis who was right around top 30.

Yeah, they had some million plus signings that didn’t work out, but let’s just say I’d rather have been the Yankees this class with one 5 mill signing than the white Sox. They haven’t proven they know what they are doing.

• 3 months later...