July 2, 2019 The Thread

southsider2k5

On 6/24/2019 at 3:56 PM, bmags said:

And for sox who just appear often very conservative in wanting to get any production out of INTL, I can see them thinking "this is a guy with sure thing ML skill, let's get him instead of 10 projection guys who could have 1 ML skill"

The 2nd to best prospect they've had this century was an international signing, as was the best prospect of the 1990s.  But just like a young player for young player trade (Quentin, Eaton), if it works, stop doing it.

Edited by GreenSox

15 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I love that it’s not just Tatis’ brother, it is also his cousin.  Salt meet wounds.

Already setting Tatis Jr up to sign here in free agency on the patent pending “manny Machaon family and friendship discount plan”

• Haha 1

I have said it before, but in latam scouting there are worse heuristics than just blood lines, and I don't know if it is saying this, but if this kid has 55 power already ? that is freakin cool.

• Like 1

Did we all see Sanchez' writeup?

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-to-sign-fernando-tatis-jr-s-brother-elijah?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

The White Sox are officially adding a familiar last name to their farm system.

The White Sox have agreed to a deal with Elijah Tatis, the son of former Major Leaguer Fernando Tatis and the brother of Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr., for a deal worth $500,000, according to industry sources.

The White Sox are also the front-runners to sign third baseman Wilfred Veras, the son of former Major Leaguer Wilton Veras. Wilfred’s mother is Fernando Tatis Sr.’s sister. Additionally, the club is expected to sign Cuban infielder Yolbert Sanchez, who became eligible to sign during the 2018-19 period.

The club has not confirmed the deals.

As for Elijah Tatis, he is known for his strong and accurate arm, and he has impressed scouts with the way the ball jumps off his bat, as well as his ability to square up fastballs. Tatis Jr. was originally a member of the White Sox farm system as well, signing with the club in 2015 before being sent to the Padres alongside right-hander Erik Johnson in a '16 trade for righty James Shields.

Top 30 International Prospects

Veras has tons of raw power and has been compared to a young Edwin Encarnacion.

Sanchez was the starting shortstop for the Havana Industriales and is projected to be the starting shortstop for the island's national team before his defection. The 22-year-old was the starting shortstop for Cuba's 23U team in Panama and was a teammate of White Sox top prospect Luis Robert on the country's 18U team.

According to the rules established by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, clubs that receive a Competitive Balance Pick in Round B of the Rule 4 Draft receive a pool of $6,481,200 for spending on international prospects, while clubs that receive a Competitive Balance Pick in Round A of the Rule 4 Draft receive $5,939,800.

The White Sox have bonus pools of $5,398,300.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but with guys committing to teams as early as 13, 14 it is possible we don’t see the real bulk of the work put in by the international staff during the Robert penalty until next July. 

Or maybe I’m just looking for the positive because I like Paddy. Met him a couple times in my scouting days, and he was a really likeable guy. Very humble, aside from wearing his World Series ring every day haha

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but with guys committing to teams as early as 13, 14 it is possible we don’t see the real bulk of the work put in by the international staff during the Robert penalty until next July. 

Or maybe I’m just looking for the positive because I like Paddy. Met him a couple times in my scouting days, and he was a really likeable guy. Very humble, aside from wearing his World Series ring every day haha

I had this same thought as well.  Maybe it's just thinking too optimistically, but it could make some sense as to why they weren't tied to any of the "big" names.  Maybe they can make a run or two at some players that get declared late in the period.

I'm honestly not even sure what it means to sign a guy to a 2020 contract. I guess since they're 16 it's fair game and just a money thing. But I'd guess they aren't allowed to play in the DSL or go to Arizona in backfield games either.

37 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I'm honestly not even sure what it means to sign a guy to a 2020 contract. I guess since they're 16 it's fair game and just a money thing. But I'd guess they aren't allowed to play in the DSL or go to Arizona in backfield games either.

It’s probably tax related, just like when we signed Robert.