Kopech is Throwing Already

ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Is there any way he could come back in August or September if the Sox are in the hunt?

Not worth it in the least. He will have not seen any action and he needs that full rest time. Let's be real, even if we could snag a WC or even the division, we aren't going anywhere this year.

50 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Per the Twitterverse.  Just off the top of my head, that seems to like he would be ahead of schedule.  

It's right on schedule at about 6 months. Pitchers can get back to games at 9 months but most build up to 12 months. 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Easily. However, I would bet they wait until 2020. 

I bet they wait until 2020 as well, but since his clock is ticking, that changes the calculus a bit.  If he sitting on the minor league DL, they certainly would wait until 2020. 

Since this is a UCL injury,  there is an interesting new study out from last year. Over the past 6 years if a pitcher throws  48% or more fastballs they have a high correlation with needing UCL surgery.

Its interesting that it used to be poor mechanics with off speed pitches. But with the new emphasis on throwing near your max velocity, throwing the fastball is more damaging to the elbow.

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Not worth it in the least. He will have not seen any action and he needs that full rest time. Let's be real, even if we could snag a WC or even the division, we aren't going anywhere this year.

True, but at this point I would be ecstatic if the Sox could just play in a Wild Card game.

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Since this is a UCL injury,  there is an interesting new student out from last year. Over the past 6 years if a pitcher throws  48% or more fastballs they have a high correlation with needing UCL surgery.

Its interesting that it used to be poor mechanics with off speed pitches. But with the new emphasis on throwing near your max velocity, throwing the fastball is more damaging to the elbow.

What's the schedule normally like for pitchers once they begin throwing after TJ? Like after they start tossing, when/how do they build up their distance/velocity/adding live hitters, etc.?

49 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Is there any way he could come back in August or September if the Sox are in the hunt?

He is merely tossing a baseball on flat ground.  He is not throwing it hard nor is he throwing any breaking stuff.  And just from the looks of it, it doesn’t even look like his actual throwing motion.  So there is still a ton of rust to knock off, mechanics to rebuild and then actually pitching effectively...that’s at least 8-9 months worth of work.  I’d be ecstatic if we can get him a few outings in the AFL in Nov/Dec.

55 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

This.  Even if the miracle of us being in the playoff race happens, I don't want to risk the arm of Michael Kopech to have it happen.  It just isn't worth it.

13 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

What's the schedule normally like for pitchers once they begin throwing after TJ? Like after they start tossing, when/how do they build up their distance/velocity/adding live hitters, etc.?

It just a gradual build up of distance then moving to the mound.  He is just doing a light tosses at probably 45 feet. Over the next 2 months they will slowly increase the distance to continue to build strength and control.  He'll progress to around 200 feet for 5 days per week. Usually at the 8 month mark or so he will move to the mound and begin a spring training  like progression to get ready to pitch in games.

In this case, I don't think they will plan on him pitching this year. So they may extend this process a little. In fact, many times they start throwing at 5 months which would put this behind schedule if this is his first time throwing.

Edited by ptatc

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Easily. However, I would bet they wait until 2020. 

Yeah, he said in a recent interview that he could be back in 2019, but that there is no real point because he would only get like 4-5 starts in at the end of the year and then shut it back down again. So the plan is just to let him take things slow and give himself the extra 5 months of the offseason to be ready for 2020.

36 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It just a gradual build up of distance then moving to the mound.  He is just doing a light tosses at probably 45 feet. Over the next 2 months they will slowly increase the distance to continue to build strength and control.  He'll progress to around 200 feet for 5 days per week. Usually at the 8 month mark or so he will move to the mound and begin a spring training  like progression to get ready to pitch in games.

In this case, I don't think they will plan on him pitching this year. So they may extend this process a little. In fact, many times they start throwing at 5 months which would put this behind schedule if this is his first time throwing.

Interesting, thanks!

18 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

No way, no chance the Sox put him on the mound throwing until at least February 2020, no reason to risk reinjury over a handful of starts 

He will be on the mound in September just as a progression of rehab. I would bet they dont put him in games though.