Frank Robinson RIP

Lip Man 1

WBAL in Baltimore is reporting that Hall of Famer Frank Robinson is dead at the age of 83 from bone cancer.

Fabulous player who never took any ****. MVP, many times an All-Star, won the Triple Crown in 1966. First African-American manager in MLB.

Also he was a guy the Sox tried to get in the 60's, the offer they made to Cincinnati was better than the one they eventually took from Baltimore. Another one of those "might have been" that changed the course of the franchise.

RIP to truly a great, great player.

• Thanks 2

Growing up black in a family that loves baseball, my grandfathers and my uncles would always tell me stories about Frank Robinson and how big a deal he was as a player and a manager. I called my grandfather today and told him and he couldnt believe it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Growing up black in a family that loves baseball, my grandfathers and my uncles would always tell me stories about Frank Robinson and how big a deal he was as a player and a manager. I called my grandfather today and told him and he couldnt believe it. 

Those Orioles teams with the Robinson Brothers. Frank and Brooks Robinson were so damn good. That 1966 team that swept the Dodgers in the World Series especially great. Then that 1970 team wow another great team that beat the Reds in 5 games. RIP Frank.

They had great teams 69-71 but just one title thanks in part to the Amazin' Mets.  Won 107-108-101 games in that stretch.  

Except for Jim Palmer the young pitchers would start in the back of the pen and have to earn every inning.  

Edited by pcq

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

WBAL in Baltimore is reporting that Hall of Famer Frank Robinson is dead at the age of 83 from bone cancer.

Fabulous player who never took any ****. MVP, many times an All-Star, won the Triple Crown in 1966. First African-American manager in MLB.

Also he was a guy the Sox tried to get in the 60's, the offer they made to Cincinnati was better than the one they eventually took from Baltimore. Another one of those "might have been" that changed the course of the franchise.

RIP to truly a great, great player.

Who did the White Sox offer for Robinson?

Frank Robinson - It has recently come out that the Sox were in the hunt for Frank Robinson before the start of the 1966 season as well. When the Reds gave notice they were willing to deal Robinson, whom they considered a ‘malcontent,’ Sox G.M. Ed Short immediately contacted Reds G.M. Bill DeWitt with an offer. The report said that when all was said and done, the White Sox offer was better then Baltimore’s, yet DeWitt sent Robby to the Orioles. In return Cincinnati got pitchers Milt Pappas and Jack Baldschun and outfielder Dick Simpson, one of the worst deals in baseball history. The Sox offered outfielder Floyd Robinson, pitcher Johnny Buzhardt and a third player, possibly All-Star relief pitcher Eddie Fisher (the Sox had the deepest bullpen in the league at the time)

With those players Cincinnati won 76 games in 1966.

With Robinson winning the Triple Crown, the Orioles swept the Dodgers in the World Series and their dynasty began.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Those Orioles teams with the Robinson Brothers. Frank and Brooks Robinson were so damn good. That 1966 team that swept the Dodgers in the World Series especially great. Then that 1970 team wow another great team that beat the Reds in 5 games. RIP Frank.

People forget...or really aren't old enough to know how great those Oriole teams were back then.  Good lord.  The Robinsons...Boog Powell...Belanger...Davey Johnson...Blair...Buford...and haven't even mentioned that ridiculous pitching staff they had.  That's the first I've heard of the Sox trying to get Robinson. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wanne said:

People forget...or really aren't old enough to know how great those Oriole teams were back then.  Good lord.  The Robinsons...Boog Powell...Belanger...Davey Johnson...Blair...Buford...and haven't even mentioned that ridiculous pitching staff they had.  That's the first I've heard of the Sox trying to get Robinson. 

I'm a white sox fan because my dad lived in baltimore watching those teams and we went to chicago's AL team to watch games. I really know more (even today) about Baltimores history pre 1990 than the white sox.