Prospects I'm Following

Flash

I am curious to see (a) where Flores starts and (b) whether or not he keeps performing the way he has. He was pretty good in AA last season, so he might start in AAA, but regardless, there always seems to be soft-throwing lefties who have great control and feel for pitching that become really good MLB pitchers. He might be that guy. 

• Like 1

Luis Robert is a good one because I think it's fair to say that thus far he hasn't been judged based on his production. That changes this year. 

As far as Madrigal is concerned, I'll want to see whether he gets any loft and starts being more selective at the plate. If he puts up decent numbres on the basis of near-MiLB-leading groundball rates, I'll still be down on him — similar to when minor league pitchers do a decent job in terms of ERA but with unsustainably low K rates (Danish and Beck come to mind). 

Otherwise, I try to put most of my attention on the guys who are close to MLB. That means Collins, Burdi, Dunning, Cease, Basabe, probably some others I'm forgetting.

Madrigal is the guy I’m least worried about. Along time removed from wrist injury and well rested. He should have a big year. Also Sheets another guy not worried about. Power will come and I heard he is working with dad a lot so I expect big things from him.  Victor DIaz is someone I want to see. Just a wild card I know but would love to see a full year of what he has other than throwing 100. 

7 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

Madrigal is the guy I’m least worried about. 

Man, I wish I had your confidence.  To me, he is a player to watch because, if he is all bat to ball grounders — no walks, no power, then he is barely a major league regular let alone a guy you take with a top 5 pick.  Fingers crossed.

8 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

Madrigal is the guy I’m least worried about. Along time removed from wrist injury and well rested. He should have a big year. Also Sheets another guy not worried about. Power will come and I heard he is working with dad a lot so I expect big things from him.  Victor DIaz is someone I want to see. Just a wild card I know but would love to see a full year of what he has other than throwing 100. 

What do you mean Sheets is working with dad?

This year I really want to see what happens with all of the really young middle infielders we have at the lowest levels of the minors.

Lency Delgado, Kelvin Maldonado, Amando Nunez, Lenyn Sosa, and Luis Curbelo are all guys that have a chance to do something big and rocket up the charts.

Sam Abbot is a guy with a great backstory, but still might be a year or two away from getting it.

After that the Catchers at the lower levels are the other interesting group that isn't getting much publicity right now, guys like Kleyder Sanchez and Carlos Sanchez might be guys to keep an eye on.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This year I really want to see what happens with all of the really young middle infielders we have at the lowest levels of the minors.

Lency Delgado, Kelvin Maldonado, Amando Nunez, Lenyn Sosa, and Luis Curbelo are all guys that have a chance to do something big and rocket up the charts.

Sam Abbot is a guy with a great backstory, but still might be a year or two away from getting it.

After that the Catchers at the lower levels are the other interesting group that isn't getting much publicity right now, guys like Kleyder Sanchez and Carlos Sanchez might be guys to keep an eye on.

Pretty much all this except not that interested in Abbot. 

There were a bunch of 2016 intl class guys brought over from DR than barely played (Coronado, Sanchez, Guerrero*) along with some that did (mieses, comas) that I'm excited to see since I can't really imagine there is much of a backlog this time in AZ for first few months. I wonder if the sox bring over Jose Rodriguez from DSL and see how he does.

Jendersson Caraballo was a 2016 signing that had a nice 2016 but was out all of last year, so interested to see where he ends up.

Harold Diaz was pretty good at DSL after being signed but was an older prospect. Maybe he's a weird late bloomer so will beinteresting to see if he's in AZL.

I mean, I'm on just about all of them, haha.

That said, my biggest focus is on the guys who were injured: Kopech (though he won't pitch, more on rehab), Robert, Madrigal, Dunning, Adolfo, Hansen, Burdi, Burger, Walker, Zavala, Lambert, McClure, Puckett... I mean that's an insanely long list of guys who dealt with injuries in 2018. How they recover is huge for the system.

And I'll put my stake now on a couple sleeper guys, like deep sleepers: Ty Greene and Amado Nunez.

7 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I mean, I'm on just about all of them, haha.

That said, my biggest focus is on the guys who were injured: Kopech (though he won't pitch, more on rehab), Robert, Madrigal, Dunning, Adolfo, Hansen, Burdi, Burger, Walker, Zavala, Lambert, McClure, Puckett... I mean that's an insanely long list of guys who dealt with injuries in 2018. How they recover is huge for the system.

And I'll put my stake now on a couple sleeper guys, like deep sleepers: Ty Greene and Amado Nunez.

Puckett...forgot about him. Seems to have the stuff if he can get back on track health wise. Nice call.