Speed pitch challenge at Grate Field

bmags

10 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

I could hit 80 still! I may need surgery after. If this wasn't during tax season I'd totally go, cool idea

lol, I hit 68 mph in spring training a couple years ago.  Fastest I was ever clocked was 77mph on a throw home from the OF in high school at a scouting camp.  That was pretty good think it was the 3rd highest clocked from the OF at that camp.  I played low level college ball but man I'd love to find a league where I live now that wasn't over $1K to join for hardball.  Slow pitch softball just doesn't do it.

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol, I hit 68 mph in spring training a couple years ago.  Fastest I was ever clocked was 77mph on a throw home from the OF in high school at a scouting camp.  That was pretty good think it was the 3rd highest clocked from the OF at that camp.  I played low level college ball but man I'd love to find a league where I live now that wasn't over $1K to join for hardball.  Slow pitch softball just doesn't do it.

Where do you live and if you wanted to play, could you get pitchers? Lol the hardest part of getting a team together is getting guys that want to pitch. Or that can pitch at least 3-4 innings.

Date: Wednesday, February 13

Start Time: 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. CT.

Enter: Gate 6

Park: Directions will be emailed.

Details:

Registration for the Speed Pitch Challenge is closed! Fans can still email speedpitch@chisox.com to be added to a wait list.

The first 100 fans 18+ to email speedpitch@chisox.com will be able to test their arm in the White Sox home bullpen, weather permitting, for a chance to win a VIP trip for two to White Sox Spring Training in March! The contestant to throw the fastest wins the Grand Prize. If someone throws 93 mph or above, they will win a bonus prize. Each contestant is permitted to bring 1-3 guests. If you would like to attend the event as a spectator, please email speedpitch@chisox.com to be added to the guest list. Space is limited.

Grand Prize: VIP Trip for two to White Sox Spring Training at Camelback Ranch Glendale. (Mutually agreed upon date) Package includes round-trip airfare from Chicago, 2-night hotel stay, and two tickets to any White Sox home game during your stay.

2nd - 10th place: Two tickets to the White Sox Home Opener on April 4.

11th-100th: Two ticket vouchers for select 2019 White Sox home games.

Con

2 hours ago, Smart Ball Sox said:

Quickly, long time lurker, been on the board since early 2000s.  But I want to thank the Soxtalk community.  I was checking the site for Manny info on Saturday and saw this  post.  I signed up and went there today.

Congrats dude!

PS. What did WSD throw?

I tied with another guy at 76 during the round robin.  In the pitch off, he threw 72, I threw 73.  He (Andy-2nd place) was a great person. 

Weather conditions were rough.  See WSD's tweets... to add to his comments about the weather, there was not much room to do an actual wind up (we were against the bullpen wall).  Great idea, loved it, and there's some room for improvement if they do it in the future.  Having said that, the Sox team/employees there did a great job and kudos go out to the White Sox staff, especially with how cold it was!  

Two other things... not too much security at the event (which goes against the info shared in the Machado thread) and one dude wore a coat that said Pay Manny on the front and Machado 300 on the back.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

$1K?...dayam!  Did that over 10 years out here in Phx...usually had a sponsor or two.  We played in the Peoria men's league (at the Peoria Sports Complex). Some pretty good teams when I first started and it eventually started to go downhill.  We were the Angels...and the Rangers were always the team to beat.  Mike Cosgrove (former Astro LHP) played on the Rangers and that dude could still bring heat in his 40s.  Guy on our team from was from back there Ron Daugherty...was a WR and one of the last cuts on the Bears in 84 I believe. RD was a football coach out at Mesa CC too...great dude!  We had a really fun group of guys that pretty much stuck together over the years. I played til my shoulder said no more...and my eyes couldn't pick up a ball off the bat worth a shit. Sucks getting old!  Hope you can find someplace to latch on with. I thought about doing MSBL (senior over 40)...but they play too damn far away during the middle of the week. Hear ya about the slowpitch...meh.

Edited by Wanne