Speed pitch challenge at Grate Field

bmags

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Dang 73 won!? Curses!

3 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Just 73 to win? I mean I am sure I couldn't hit that now (haven't been able to throw that hard since my 20's), and I get there are no warm-ups. Just surprised there weren't people higher than that from a group as big as I assume this was.

76 was top speed that tied and the pitch off 73 beat 72 . According to our lurker winner Tom it was actually eerily quiet and uncrowded. It's even possible that they had more prizes available than contestants since 11th-100th:  won two ticket vouchers for select 2019 White Sox home games.

20 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Where do you live and if you wanted to play, could you get pitchers? Lol the hardest part of getting a team together is getting guys that want to pitch. Or that can pitch at least 3-4 innings.

Seattle has a hardball league but entry is $1100 and it's basically to ensure you show up for the games.  I went to a try out last spring and held my own but man in this city it all adds up and $1100 is pricey for all but the "fuck you" money types.

Love to play ball tho.  I might do some coaching this year at least can hit some fungoes.

• Like 1

I watched some videos on this from whitesoxdave’s Twitter.  I have to wonder what the White Sox marketing staff was thinking -- 11 AM on a Wednesday?  Also, they had people pitching with a windup backed up against the bullpen wall.  If you watch the videos, look at where the pitching rubber is.  Also, could they not have been bothered to at least try to shovel/rake out some of the snow/ice?  If you are going to bother having a cool event like this, at least exert some effort and do it right.  Great idea, poor execution.

Edited by Machado2Sox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Machado2Sox said:

I watched some videos on this from whitesoxdave’s Twitter.  I have to wonder what the White Sox marketing staff was thinking -- 11 AM on a Wednesday?  Also, they had people pitching with a windup backed up against the bullpen wall.  If you watch the videos, look at where the pitching rubber is.  Also, could they not have been bothered to at least try to shovel/rake out some of the snow/ice?  If you are going to bother having a cool event like this, at least exert some effort and do it right.  Great idea, poor execution.

It was too damn cold. If they ever have it again, 76 won't win. People will be a bit more prepared. I imagine most haven't thrown for a while, probably years. Not much warm up, and 12 degrees. There are probably people kicking themselves they didn't enter, but they would have been just as ill prepared, and dealt with elements that were going to keep the MPH low.