Bob Nightengale Once Again Nails It

bmags

I can't stop laughing, it's too perfect

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.50.55 AM.png

For those not on twitter:

Top image: the heavily being retweeted image from Kyler Murray saying he's sticking with football

Bottom image: Bob tweeting out his report that the As are optimistic they will see Kyler in Spring Training

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm remember Kenny W. use to be into drafting athletes. They didn't turn out to be baseball players.  Not a bright move by the A's.  If he becomes an NFL bust I guess he can go back to baseball.

We could always see his rights traded, like Russell Wilson. Let's say that Murray goes to the Dolphins. Maybe the Marlins trade for his rights at some point thinking that if he flames out in football, he can try baseball and stay in the same city.

15 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Interesting logic- not sure how you feel about Madrigal but I do know that one of the main reasons Keith Law is not a big fan of him is because there aren't too many 5'7 2Bs. 

Not even in the same area code. What does Madrigal have to do with being an NFL QB?

9 hours ago, Wanne said:

I'm more of the thinking "when"...

Why does he care, he will make a heck of a lot more $$$ (guaranteed) in the NFL, regardless of whether he is a bust or not. Much better than rolling for a YO bet in MLB...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, shago said:

Why does he care, he will make a heck of a lot more $$$ (guaranteed) in the NFL, regardless of whether he is a bust or not. Much better than rolling for a YO bet in MLB...

Average NFL career about 3.4 years.

He's like a combination of Flutie and Vick...hes not as fast as Vick, but he's a much more accurate passer.

With Mayfields success, should easily go 8~12 in first round.   How much guaranteed money is that?   Plus no minor leagues, buses, junk food diets, etc.  He loves to be in control of everything on the field, whereas C.F. is more passive/less engaging. 

A' s not exactly a premiere destination, I think he eventually ends up with the Rangers because of his Texas roots.

19 minutes ago, shago said:

One FA contract in MLB could very well obliterate his entire career earnings in the NFL. There's a reason NFL players always get mad when baseball players sign contracts.

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

One FA contract in MLB could very well obliterate his entire career earnings in the NFL. There's a reason NFL players always get mad when baseball players sign contracts.

He’s a very raw baseball player, he will almost certainly make more in NFL. Backup QBs still make around 8 mill per year.

10 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm remember Kenny W. use to be into drafting athletes. They didn't turn out to be baseball players.  Not a bright move by the A's.  If he becomes an NFL bust I guess he can go back to baseball.

The odds of a raw player missing years of development and becoming an MLB player are really low. Players can leave baseball and be successful (Danny Ainge, Jay Schroeder) in other sports can happen but taking up baseball later doesn't work.

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He's like a combination of Flutie and Vick...hes not as fast as Vick, but he's a much more accurate passer.

With Mayfields success, should easily go 8~12 in first round.   How much guaranteed money is that?   Plus no minor leagues, buses, junk food diets, etc.  He loves to be in control of everything on the field, whereas C.F. is more passive/less engaging. 

A' s not exactly a premiere destination, I think he eventually ends up with the Rangers because of his Texas roots.

Totally irrelevant stat in this case.

21 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It would take some time though. And baseball requires more skill and theres a good chance he could fail as a ball player.

No doubt he could fail. But he could just as easily suffer one big injury in football and be out of the league in four years. He could end up like RG3.

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

No doubt he could fail. But he could just as easily suffer one big injury in football and be out of the league in four years. He could end up like RG3.

But his guaranteed money from his (likely) first round deal would exceed that of his guaranteed money from baseball. And the likelihood of him getting a second, even backup, deal from football is greater than baseball.

I can't think of a recent first round pick that didn't get additional contracts. Even RG3 did, adding to his money total. Plus RG3 got some very good sponsorship deals.

Yeah actually even RGIII has made $30 mill in his career. I would put the likelihood of his earnings in the nfl being greater than football at a much higher percentage likelihood.

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Interesting logic- not sure how you feel about Madrigal but I do know that one of the main reasons Keith Law is not a big fan of him is because there aren't too many 5'7 2Bs. 

Pretty sure that Madrigal doesn't have any offensive linemen to try to look over to succeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Baker Mayfield has nothing to do with Murray's draft destination 

Just now, fathom said:

To be fair, Herbie was on espn yesterday saying how Oklahoma’s offense prepared Kyler to potentially excel in NFL.

That doesn't change the fact that Mayfields success has zero to do with Murray.   If Mayfield bombed this year, we wouldn't be saying "well he should probably be a 3-5th round pick now", that is ridiculous.  Different players, different styles, different overall game

1 minute ago, fathom said:

To be fair, Herbie was on espn yesterday saying how Oklahoma’s offense prepared Kyler to potentially excel in NFL.

I think the last few years teams have absolutely been shifting on the "CW" ideology on prototypical QBs and what's needed.

Here's a good warren sharp thread 

The tweets above it are even better but that's a lot of work and I'm not @Sleepy Harold level yet

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Quin said:

RG3 is still playing, he just signed a contract with the Ravens, I believe. If he shows any talent, he will be a backup for years.