Bob Nightengale Once Again Nails It

bmags

32 minutes ago, SoxFan562004 said:

He is an extreme case, but Chase Daniel has a career earnings a bit less than 30mm and he's a "short" quarterback, that total is also without a first round contract that Murray is likely to get (Daniel was undrafted).

Right, I mean it's basically that the calculation for any other position beside quarterback would point you to baseball as best career choice (Samardjiza), but for QB it's actually the other way. Now if the dude was like Kris Bryant in college, it may be different, but he had a lot of development to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's the idea that an athlete will likely not succeed because more advanced players in their positions are taller.

It's about being able to see over the line.  Rex Grossman had this problem, he was like 5'11.  I think the only QB I've ever seen successful at Kyler's height is Doug Flutie.

1 hour ago, bschmaranz said:

It's about being able to see over the line.  Rex Grossman had this problem, he was like 5'11.  I think the only QB I've ever seen successful at Kyler's height is Doug Flutie.

But, as Sharp mentioned, many shorter qbs were prematurely moved to other positions and were not given the same amount of opportunities as taller qbs. That is starting to change.

The problem with rex wasn't just that he was small, he had small hands and had terrible judgment and poor accuracy. He'd have been bad at 6'4"

On 2/12/2019 at 11:11 PM, Kyyle23 said:

That doesn't change the fact that Mayfields success has zero to do with Murray.   If Mayfield bombed this year, we wouldn't be saying "well he should probably be a 3-5th round pick now", that is ridiculous.  Different players, different styles, different overall game

But same type of offensive system that depends on getting outside the pocket, making rapidfire decisions, uptempo, utilizing all the offensive weapons, especially TE.

Drew Tate at Iowa was another QB of similar height a decade ago who was highly successful in college.

Manziel, Mayfield and Murray are all from Texas and came out of spread or 8 man football...Tate, too...of course, we can also look at Texas Tech and Houston "system" QBs flopping.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

But same type of offensive system that depends on getting outside the pocket, making rapidfire decisions, uptempo, utilizing all the offensive weapons, especially TE.

Drew Tate at Iowa was another QB of similar height a decade ago who was highly successful in college.

Manziel, Mayfield and Murray are all from Texas and came out of spread or 8 man football...Tate, too...of course, we can also look at Texas Tech and Houston "system" QBs flopping.

They are completely different quarterbacks dude. Murray rushed for over 1000 last season and I don't even think Mayfield rushed for 1000 in his entire career

murray has nothing to do with Mayfield, not one scout is looking at him and thinking about Manziel

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He averaged around 300 per season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/sort/cwepaRuns

Dude what are you even posting?   Mayfield ran for 131 yards last season and 1083 in his entire college career.  Kyler Murray rushed for 1001 last season alone, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME TYPE OF QB AND WILL NOT BE EVALUATED THE SAME.

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude what are you even posting?   Mayfield ran for 131 yards last season and 1083 in his entire college career.  Kyler Murray rushed for 1001 last season alone, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME TYPE OF QB AND WILL NOT BE EVALUATED THE SAME.

Many scouts say the #1 NFL comp for Murray is Baker. Just an FYI.