Sox hitters already ready for camp // Burger is hitting off tee

bmags

hard to believe a guy with two torn achilles' will ever make it back even for a cup of coffee in MLB.  it's also hard to believe a guy that would benefit immensely from slimming down decided to bulk up again this offseason.  Is he training for the NFL?  Just awful.  He needed to drop into the 10% body fat range and instead he looks bulked up around 20%.  Without the injury history who cares but putting an extra 30lbs of weight on his leg is just foolish.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

hard to believe a guy with two torn achilles' will ever make it back even for a cup of coffee in MLB.  it's also hard to believe a guy that would benefit immensely from slimming down decided to bulk up again this offseason.  Is he training for the NFL?  Just awful.  He needed to drop into the 10% body fat range and instead he looks bulked up around 20%.  Without the injury history who cares but putting an extra 30lbs of weight on his leg is just foolish.

I’m sure he couldn’t do running exercises for a while 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m sure he couldn’t do running exercises for a while 

that's fine and I agree but he should have used it as an opportunity to slim down and retool his body.  instead he looks like he dirty bulked all winter and is maxing out his 1 rep deadlifts for a powerlifting competition.

I'm sure he's got some high level trainers around him but IMO it's foolish to keep playing at this weight given his injury history.  

4 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Burger either worked out his upper half during his time off or ate a lot of pizza... The back angle makes it harder to tell hahah

It's the way his body is shaped/genetics which he acknowledged. Similar to Jabari Parker who some think is a butterball.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

It's the way his body is shaped/genetics which he acknowledged. Similar to Jabari Parker who some think is a butterball.

jabari has been out of shape since he was at simeon.  He IS a butterball, for a pro athlete at least.  He came into camp 20lbs overweight after signing a 20 million dollar deal.  come on.

and it's not genetics it's being at 20% body fat and loving to bulk up too much.  I've been there myself.  It's not good for your joints.  great for showing off on the squat rack and bench.  not so great for functional baseball athleticism.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

that's fine and I agree but he should have used it as an opportunity to slim down and retool his body.  instead he looks like he dirty bulked all winter and is maxing out his 1 rep deadlifts for a powerlifting competition.

I'm sure he's got some high level trainers around him but IMO it's foolish to keep playing at this weight given his injury history.  

Weight has very little bearing on an Achilles tendon injury. Flexibility does.

Doing heavy lifting at 80% 1 rep max is crucial to thicken and strengthen tendons. He should be doing that for ankle work.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Weight has very little bearing on an Achilles tendon injury. Flexibility does.

Doing heavy lifting at 80% 1 rep max is crucial to thicken and strengthen tendons. He should be doing that for ankle work.

prima facie whatever he's doing training wise has failed spectacularly.  you can't thicken tendons from my research.

• Haha 1