Sox hitters already ready for camp // Burger is hitting off tee

bmags

Just now, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Imo burger  should be moved off third now to lower the risk of injury. Let him play first and hopefully mash.

He got injured running to 1B and walking in his backyard. Neither have to do with playing 3B. I get that you are saying 3B is a more difficult on anyone's body, but his injuries were flukey and I would rather he play 3B as long as he can. If he can't play 3B without hurting himself, then he wasn't long for sports anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

prima facie whatever he's doing training wise has failed spectacularly.  you can't thicken tendons from my research.

Here is a good one that specifically discusses the Achilles  as well. It's a few years old and there is newer research that shows it as well. You can't increase it a large amount but enough to increase the overall tensile strength.

ijspt-10-748.pdf

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Here is a good one that specifically discusses the Achilles  as well. It's a few years old and there is newer research that shows it as well. You can't increase it a large amount but enough to increase the overall tensile strength.

ijspt-10-748.pdf

Thanks for the link but I just read it and the takeway if anything is that over training leads to stiffer tendons more likely to rupture.

Have you read anything about "eccentric training"?  After I had my dual ruptures I read some folks that strongly advocated using it for tendon injuries. 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Thanks for the link but I just read it and the takeway if anything is that over training leads to stiffer tendons more likely to rupture.

Have you read anything about "eccentric training"?  After I had my dual ruptures I read some folks that strongly advocated using it for tendon injuries. 

Over training is the primary cause of most injuries. Like in the article eccentric training is the most important activity with any tendonopathy. It has to isolated though. No concentric activity. For example for the Achilles raise up on your right heel set your left foot down and lower only on the left. This way the left had only the lowering eccentric activity.  As the article said it helps to properly align the collagen and increase the metabolic functions. But that's as much as we know. 

3 hours ago, Wanne said:

geez...he does look huge.  He was a thick boy anyway.  Any idea (percentage wise) where he's at with his achilles?

It's hard to tell. Typical rehab would be 4-5 months. However with it being the second one I don't know if they used an augmentation device or not. Probably not with his age. If they are letting him hit, he is probably a month away from games.

44 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's hard to tell. Typical rehab would be 4-5 months. However with it being the second one I don't know if they used an augmentation device or not. Probably not with his age. If they are letting him hit, he is probably a month away from games.

They said he wasn't supposed to be in game action until June.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They said he wasn't supposed to be in game action until June.

They must be treating it very conservatively then. I don't blame them with the second injury. 

Edit: I now see an article after surgery in May that they were predicting 12 months. Again very conservative but I don't blame them in this situation.

Edited by ptatc

Reynaldo Lopez posted a minuscule 1.38 ERA over his final seven starts last season, achieving a goal of getting his season ERA under 4.00 at 3.91. The right-hander's early target for 2019 takes that number a step lower.

"Last year my ERA was a three something," said Lopez through interpreter Billy Russo. "I would like to have an ERA below three."

Everything coming from Merkin from whitesox.xom