pettie4sox

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can't figure out why someone would want the Mayoral job in Chicago right now.  The government is a hot mess today.

Yeah there is really no winning there. Best case you make things slightly less bad, and still get hammered over it.

Preckwinkle is an interesting example of this. Not that she's been spectacular for Cook County, but she has made things better financially and did it without massive tax hikes. That is a small win, but even that is difficult to achieve with what she was given. I know people will likely take this opportunity to scoff at her, and I'm not really a fan either, but small wins are about the best we can expect at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Looks like a three person race for the last two spots between Lightfoot, Preckwinkle, and Daley.

Biggest shock to me is Joe Moreno is going down in the 1st ward.

Wow.

I had no idea what to expect but pleased Daley hasn’t walked away with it. Feels like if lightfoot hits top 2 she’s going to be up against Daley or preckwinkles endorsements going to one or the other.

Thank goodness Daley lost and Mendoza lost as well. Serves her right for being elected then ditching her post if she were to become mayor.

Vallas didn’t win, but it sounds like there is going to be a lot of support for Lightfoot, which would be great. I’m hoping she can outlast the machine and get elected as an outsider of sorts. I guess it will depend on the endorsements and ground game.

I’m also not surprised by the turnout. Lots of apathy among voters, an election in late February and too many candidates. More people should vote in the runoff.

Don't see what the big deal was about Mendoza running just after winning Comptroller. Nothing wrong with going for a bigger job and now she has Comptroller job since she is out.  Should senators and governors not run for higher office?

14 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I'm a late 40's white guy from the southwest suburbs and I voted for Lightfoot. 

I thought her and Vallas were only two  candidates worth a damn.

Looks like you were one of he few that voted. The turnout was really low.

Just now, pettie4sox said:

I guess the notion of #fakenews is alive and well in Chicago.

When you have terribly low turnout in an aldermanic ward, and you are known for doing favors, it's not hard to win. But people needed to show up.