Anyone think Kimbrel would be a good idea?

4 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

Considering he was looking for a 6 year deal, no. 

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He's really good but the bullpen is the least of my concerns right now

Yeah, that's why I said as a 1 year high AAV deal as trade bait.   Was that not clear?

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 4

OP is correct in stating that getting Kimbrel on a one year deal could potentially serve as a deadly trade piece at the deadline. It may even be the most significant trade piece available.

I think he's right on that.

But yeh -- Kimbrel will likely get a multi-year deal so the point is moot. I bet Kimbrel falls a part at some point during the multi-year deal that he gets. 

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A top notch closer on this team seems like a huge waste. Of all of the things we could spend money on. This would be the last.

Yeah, again, not really looking at this as a long term piece for the Sox (or even a piece).  I was thinking of it more like buying prospects.  I am having a hard time seeing his market right now.  Where is this big long term contract with a contender coming from?   There hasn't even been any smoke about anything relating to Kimbrel other than him being laughed out of negotiations when he was asking for 100 million.  

There is a 100% chance some team will need a dominant closer at the deadline.  

Now, I have no idea what offers he has, I haven't heard anything.  But if he doesn't have what he is looking for, maybe a 1/20 deal with an option or something (vests if traded???) would make sense for him.

Anyways I'm glad this got me through page 666.

Edited by turnin' two

9 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, again, not really looking at this as a long term piece for the Sox (or even a piece).  I was thinking of it more like buying prospects.  I am having a hard time seeing his market right now.  Where is this big long term contract with a contender coming from?   There hasn't even been any smoke about anything relating to Kimbrel other than him being laughed out of negotiations when he was asking for 100 million.  

There is a 100% chance some team will need a dominant closer at the deadline.  

Now, I have no idea what offers he has, I haven't heard anything.  But if he doesn't have what he is looking for, maybe a 1/20 deal with an option or something (vests if traded???) would make sense for him.

Anyways I'm glad this got me through page 666.

There would be about 20 better teams falling over themselves to give Kimbrel a short term deal. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

They've already spent what, $15 million this year on Colome and Herrera? 

Honestly I probably woulda preferred Kimbrel to that...but can't undo those deals. 

I actually came here to say if they hadn't done those moves, I probably would have been all over him on say a 1 year, around QO amount deal. Before agreeing to that though, I would probably try to lock him in on about 4 years, but it seems he wants more. We'll see what he ends up getting though.

Where we currently are in the off-season: no.

Edited by soxfan2014

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

A top notch closer on this team seems like a huge waste. Of all of the things we could spend money on. This would be the last.

I don't know that it would ever be good bet to give a huge contract to a closer who was last seen getting rocked, as Kimbrel did last fall. The only contract I would give him would be a 1-year deal with intent to flip him. No thanks.