2019 Golf/PGA Tour Thread.

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ok, so I'm getting a wee bit frustrated because I have to play golf on a budget, and am finding it impossible. 

The biggest issue for me is the $20 per week or so to keep your swing in good shape. I can't afford that. Another thing is that I can't not take it seriously. Like everything I do, I want to get better and when I don't have the time and money to put into something I really enjoy doing it blows. 

Why is this sport so damn expensive?  I know it was intended for upper class people but I think we've gotten beyond that point, no? 

Try Groupon. They usually have several discounts for golf.

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ok, so I'm getting a wee bit frustrated because I have to play golf on a budget, and am finding it impossible. 

The biggest issue for me is the $20 per week or so to keep your swing in good shape. I can't afford that. Another thing is that I can't not take it seriously. Like everything I do, I want to get better and when I don't have the time and money to put into something I really enjoy doing it blows. 

Why is this sport so damn expensive?  I know it was intended for upper class people but I think we've gotten beyond that point, no? 

I don't believe it was originally intended for upper class people but it sure as hell became that way. Grab a stick and a ball and hit it around an open field was the start. Time and expense is killing the growth of the game. Two hours at Top Golf is cheaper and you hit more balls than a round at a decent public course. 

Swining a Matzee or other training aid can help between buckets at the range. Chipping and putting at a course is also usually free, but I always felt weird not spending  money there. Investing a couple hundred in a launch monitor and a net pays off long term, but there is still the issue with up front affordability.

BTW, when TW won the Masters some guy said the following on twitter: 

Tiger: *hugs mom after winning the Masters*

Tiger's Asian mom: "You made bogey on the last hole, that is bad" 

I laughed a lot because my cousins are half Asian and their dad was like that, and my mom is a retired teacher and teachers are the same way. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So frustrated with my game now. One of the pros I see all the time because he happens to be the father of two of my players notice I was rolling my wrist and kind of flipping at the ball. I fixed that and gained back about 20 yards and 33% more height on my irons. My hybrids and fairway metals are nice and crisp with a draw.

I can't hit a $#^& drive to save my a$$. I mean yesterday I hit three into the woods and four more less than 100 yard rollers. I have no idea what I'm doing with the club. No feel. It's really ugly. 

• 3 weeks later...

I received a great message last night. One of my former players just won the Idaho State Amateur. She's back living there and won a tough one against some really good players. I can't believe five years ago she was a volleyball playing freshman who played golf when that season was over.

• 1 month later...

I have four seniors this year that will all sign to play college golf. The first one committed to Sterling College in Kansas. Brrr. Great kid who will be right at home. 

Two more will be D1 somewhere and the third D2.