Jussie Smollett/Chicago police nice work

greg775

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Update. I've been reading the different sites and nobody is believing the Chicago cops, lol. Yeah, right. So the country is behind Jussie. Good for the country. Frickin' amazing. Please, FBI, keep this case alive. Chicago deserves better!

A grand jury came back with 16 counts.   Who cares what random sites you visit say.  This is on an activist SAO who recused herself yet found a way to drop the charges.   Kim Foxx is the only reason that this was dropped.   

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I watched the news conference with Raul and the police chief. It was GREAT.

That mayor has had hundreds of millions of dollars in police brutality payments sent out during his time, said more words about this case today than any of them, and of course that's the one you care about.

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That mayor has had hundreds of millions of dollars in police brutality payments sent out during his time, said more words about this case today than any of them, and of course that's the one you care about.

My guess is he'd comment about any case if prodded/asked. Perhaps the media doesn't care about those other cases. He can't just start speaking; he has to have an audience right? The major was great today if you listen to it.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

My guess is he'd comment about any case if prodded/asked. Perhaps the media doesn't care about those other cases. He can't just start speaking; he has to have an audience right? The major was great today if you listen to it.

While that's not true...why wouldn't they have an audience for that it's their taxpayer dollars being spent on those brutality payments. It's almost as if there's something different about those people , who clearly include you, where you're 100x as outraged about Smollett but you don't care about the others because you look at them and somehow decide they're not really worth anything, and that also triggers your extra outrage in this case. I wonder what might make you react that way.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

While that's not true...why wouldn't they have an audience for that it's their taxpayer dollars being spent on those brutality payments. It's almost as if there's something different about those people , who clearly include you, where you're 100x as outraged about Smollett but you don't care about the others because you look at them and somehow decide they're not really worth anything, and that also triggers your extra outrage in this case. I wonder what might make you react that way.

Let me ask you, do you think much will change under either of the potential mayoral candidates?

I'm one of the few that thinks Rahm is underrated. 

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Let me ask you, do you think much will change under either of the potential mayoral candidates?

I'm one of the few that thinks Rahm is underrated. 

I have absolutely no basis to evaluate those candidates and will not claim any insight into that question. All I have to say is that some people make it blatantly obvious why they care about one issue and pass completely on another, and we just saw an example of exactly that. It's also not the first time from that poster where a certain group of people get singled out by them when they do something he doesn't like, while anything bad that happens to them he just brushes off. 

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I have absolutely no basis to evaluate those candidates and will not claim any insight into that question. All I have to say is that some people make it blatantly obvious why they care about one issue and pass completely on another, and we just saw an example of exactly that. It's also not the first time from that poster where a certain group of people get singled out by them when they do something he doesn't like, while anything bad that happens to them he just brushes off. 

Psssst.  Over here.  Hey bud.  It could be that he’s rich and famous and getting away with something beyond ridiculous that’s pissing people off.  Race has nothing to do with any of the outrage.  It’s okay to not get triggered every once in a while.  People aren’t half as terrible as you think.  

Eddie Johnson comes across as a stand up guy and I know if we talked politics we probably wouldn't agree on much but he still at least seems to knows the difference between right and wrong.

It's too bad his investigation and the reputation of his officers will be dragged through the mud because of this. Smollett still maintains his innocence what a joke. Guess Kim Foxx (who epitomizes Chicago Politics) and the DA's office believe his story of the two Nigerian MAGA hat wearing white supremacists who beat him up. Who coincidentally was paid by Smollett 3500 dollars for "nutrition advice". They also must believe he risked life and limb to keep his subway sandwich and fight off MAGA attackers at 2:00AM in the middle of winter.

Of course we will know the full evidence against him because they sealed his records but the story is ridiculous on it's face.

Edited by wrathofhahn

19 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Psssst.  Over here.  Hey bud.  It could be that he’s rich and famous and getting away with something beyond ridiculous that’s pissing people off.  Race has nothing to do with any of the outrage.  It’s okay to not get triggered every once in a while.  People aren’t half as terrible as you think.  

Maybe for some people but not for the poster I was replying to. He proves that all the time. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

Update. I've been reading the different sites and nobody is believing the Chicago cops, lol. Yeah, right. So the country is behind Jussie. Good for the country. Frickin' amazing. Please, FBI, keep this case alive. Chicago deserves better!

LOL. What sites are you reading? TMZ? I've yet to hear a single person behind Jussie. Rich and famous people live by different rules than the other 99%. Case closed.

• Like 1

greg is back to his usual troll act...  Maybe the feds will pick up the case.

If Smollet faked those attacks and I used the term "if" because he wasn't convicted of anything yet, he should absolutely serve hard time.  There are real people who are victims of hate crimes that may have a hard time being believed because of what this guy allegedly did.

4 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Thank you jerksticks. I appreciate the support. I'll stop there and not respond to any of the other stuff. Thank you jerksticks. I appreciate it.

The feds aren't picking up this case they are busy in Harvey, Ed burke's office and up in Rockford.

The issue is not that he got off the issue is that Kim Foxx does not enforce the law and criminals are allowed to run free.  The suspect in the off duty police shooting this past weekend was on probation when he should have gone to prison for aggravated assault.

The officer graduated from Brother Rice greg. 

41 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The feds aren't picking up this case they are busy in Harvey, Ed burke's office and up in Rockford.

The issue is not that he got off the issue is that Kim Foxx does not enforce the law and criminals are allowed to run free.  The suspect in the off duty police shooting this past weekend was on probation when he should have gone to prison for aggravated assault.

Thanks for the info. I don't follow the Chicago news as closely as I should sometimes. The Smollett thing was such a national thing I picked it up right away. Thanks Harry. You going to opening day or any Rice baseball this spring?

12 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

You mean criminals who are indicted on 16 felony counts are allowed to run free while those who are indicted on one count go to prison.  

Wow Kim Foxx may have broke the law listen to her convoluted defense.

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/did-top-prosecutor-break-law-cutting-deal-jussie-smollett

State law states that after a state's attorney recuses herself on a case "the court shall appoint a special prosecutor."

That didn't happen in the Smollett case. Instead, Foxx tapped her first assistant, veteran prosecutor Joseph Magats, to take over.

Magats described the police investigation as "outstanding" and told the Tribune the fact the case was "disposed of alternatively" is not evidence that it was flawed in any way. But his predecessor told the paper he had never before seen charges dropped so quickly after an indictment.

"You could make the argument that if the state's attorney has a conflict, her whole office has a conflict," a former prosecutor who asked not to be named said. "I don't know if that's the case. But this sure seems odd."

Cook County State's Attorney spokeswoman Kiera Ellis said in a statement that Fox "did not formally recuse herself or the [State's Attorney] Office based on any actual conflict of interest. As a result, she did not have to seek the appointment of a special prosecutor."

When Fox publicly announced that she had recused herself "it was a colloquial use of the term rather than in its legal sense," Ellis said.

53 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

This case does not make sense anymore.

Well Smollett attorney has an interesting theory that might explain somethings. Whiteface. The two Nigeran men put on MAGA caps. Wore a ski mask (with whiteface underneath just in case). Then went to beat helpless Jessie.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/jussie-smolletts-attorney-nigerian-brothers-may-have-been-wearing-whiteface-during-attack/

Of course that doesn't explain why Smollett would think two Nigerians with thick African accents yelling "THIS IS MAGA COUNTRY" in a 80 percent AA neighborhood were white but still you could see why they would offer the deal.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Wow Kim Foxx may have broke the law listen to her convoluted defense.

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/did-top-prosecutor-break-law-cutting-deal-jussie-smollett

State law states that after a state's attorney recuses herself on a case "the court shall appoint a special prosecutor."

That didn't happen in the Smollett case. Instead, Foxx tapped her first assistant, veteran prosecutor Joseph Magats, to take over.

Magats described the police investigation as "outstanding" and told the Tribune the fact the case was "disposed of alternatively" is not evidence that it was flawed in any way. But his predecessor told the paper he had never before seen charges dropped so quickly after an indictment.

"You could make the argument that if the state's attorney has a conflict, her whole office has a conflict," a former prosecutor who asked not to be named said. "I don't know if that's the case. But this sure seems odd."

Cook County State's Attorney spokeswoman Kiera Ellis said in a statement that Fox "did not formally recuse herself or the [State's Attorney] Office based on any actual conflict of interest. As a result, she did not have to seek the appointment of a special prosecutor."

When Fox publicly announced that she had recused herself "it was a colloquial use of the term rather than in its legal sense," Ellis said.

Not likely. State laws don't normally account for an office full of employees so, unless the whole office is somehow conflicted, Foxx could assign a case to a deputy. However, she can't then be interacting with the assigned attorney, or the defense team about the case. It's not illegal, but unethical. I don't see how she "has a conflict" but then doesn't have a conflict.

And the argument that the whole office is automatically conflicted is nonsense. Law offices have conflicts all the time and ethical rules guide how it's handled. There are cases where a smaller State's Attorney office will not be able to take a case due to conflict, in which case a court appoints a special prosecutor.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Well Smollett attorney has an interesting theory that might explain somethings. Whiteface. The two Nigeran men put on MAGA caps. Wore a ski mask (with whiteface underneath just in case). Then went to beat helpless Jessie.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/jussie-smolletts-attorney-nigerian-brothers-may-have-been-wearing-whiteface-during-attack/

Of course that doesn't explain why Smollett would think two Nigerians with thick African accents yelling "THIS IS MAGA COUNTRY" in a 80 percent AA neighborhood were white but still you could see why they would offer the deal.

There are a lot of dumb people with too much time on their hands.

28 minutes ago, G&T said:

Not likely. State laws don't normally account for an office full of employees so, unless the whole office is somehow conflicted, Foxx could assign a case to a deputy. However, she can't then be interacting with the assigned attorney, or the defense team about the case. It's not illegal, but unethical. I don't see how she "has a conflict" but then doesn't have a conflict.

And the argument that the whole office is automatically conflicted is nonsense. Law offices have conflicts all the time and ethical rules guide how it's handled. There are cases where a smaller State's Attorney office will not be able to take a case due to conflict, in which case a court appoints a special prosecutor.

The law is the law which is why her spokesperson said afterwards she meant it "colloquially" the problem is recused is a legal term the unethical part is claiming she recused herself when she clearly didn't and not following state law after doing so. 

It isn't open up to interpretation. It doesn't say could it says shall. It's a required action.

Of course considering she now claims to have lied and never filed the recusal with the court so it's not likely illegal. You make the case the idea the whole department isn't conflicted is nonsense well what was the result? I would say the law was in place for a very good reason and precisely to prevent a situation like this from happening. I am not someone who honestly cares one way or another of whether Smollett spends a day in jail.

I also don't think this reflects badly on the police department. The problem is someone did him a tremendous favor they expunged the case files, sealed the court records, didn't go to trial, didn't force him to accept any guilt in the deal. It stinks of corrupt Chicago Politics.