Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future

BigSexy23

45 minutes ago, daggins said:

Don't sign anyone, win 65 games and get another top 5 pick. There's no free agents even close to these two guys for a few more years, so just wait and re-evaluate next year. 

enjoy watching that team flounder for another 4 or 5 years

this "competitive in 2020" nonsense is just that 

The Sox do not know how to build a successful team, if people arent willing to use their own two eyes then well..

On 1/28/2019 at 10:29 AM, bmags said:

edit: removed initial preamble when i was still happy and naive about our front office not sucking.

No Manny

The way to read this is the player next to the position is starter, the players to right are IN ORDER the depth that I believe them to be, and this includes both realistic use within that year, and then the longer it goes out longer term planning. X means needs upgrade, O means likely set.

C - Zevala // Collins 

1b - Alonso // Palka // Collins // Sheets // Rose // Burger

2b - Moncada // Madrigal // Mendick    

SS - Anderson // Madrigal // Rondon // Mendick // Rivera

3b - Sanchez // Madrigal // Rondon // Burger

O LF - Jimenez // Basabe // Gonzalez // Rutherford 

CF - Robert // Basabe // Gonzalez // Engel 

RF - Adolfo // Basabe // Gonzalez // Rutherford

X DH - Alonso // Palka // Collins // Adolfo 

X SP

SP1 - Kopech

SP2 - Rodon

SP3 - Cease

SP4 - Lopez

SP5 - Giolito // Dunning // Stephens // Lambert

N/A RP (how could I know how well these guys will do)

RP 1 - Colome

RP 2 - Herrerra

RP 3 - Fry

RP 4 - Burdi

RP 5 - Hamilton

RP 6 - Bummer

RP 7 - Johnson // Frare // burr // schryver // veiera // etc etc

UPGRADE Possibilities

C - Grandal // Cervelli (FA)

1b // DH - Castellanos, Goldschmidt, Khris Davis, Abreu

3b - Rendon, Arenado, Donaldson

3b (by way of SS upgrade) - Bogaerts, Didi

SP - Sale, Bumgarner, Chacin, Wheeler, Wacha, Porcello, Pineda

Ideally, you get one vet, strong anchor for this staff. But if not, see how pineda does this year. I initially thought Salazar was a FA this year but not until 2021...ugh.

Takeaways

Manny just makes too much sense. It gives legit depth with 4 good athletic infielders, and allow tim to be a potential OFer if that depth doesn't pan out immediately.

• The way out without Manny isn't horrible though, just pretty bad. 
  • Clearly corner bats can be upgrades big time in 2020 from where they are expected.
  • Obviously, if we don't get manny this year I have zero belief they would get Arenado.
  • But Castellanos as a 1b/dh may be a perfect fit.
  • Catcher is the position that could singlehandedly reverse itself with good year, and possibly 1b if Palka becomes good. 
  • SP I think should add one regardless of how good everyone looks. Just me, but ideally the winner of Dunning/Lopez is your fifth starter and our fifth starter is great, or if they both turn out you trade Rodon in season for guys.
  • Outfield NEEDS to hit, especially if Moncada is just a starter and not an all star.

Thank you all for not reading. Bottom line, if we sign Machado I'm feeling really good for 2020-2023.

I wrote this when I was trying to figure out how big a disaster it would be if machado didn't sign. It's still a disaster, but it was helpful to me to figure out what is required to keep rebuild on track.

Mainly - we can't underestimate likelihood that we'll feature only an average offense. They really need to find big bats in the corners, not just .800 ops 1b, they need to be great, because we don't know that we will get great offense from our other positions.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wrote this when I was trying to figure out how big a disaster it would be if machado didn't sign. It's still a disaster, but it was helpful to me to figure out what is required to keep rebuild on track.

Mainly - we can't underestimate likelihood that we'll feature only an average offense. They really need to find big bats in the corners, not just .800 ops 1b, they need to be great, because we don't know that we will get great offense from our other positions.

They're going to draft Vaughn and try to have him up in 2020. 

1 hour ago, BigSexy23 said:

Well, we all kind of thought deep down this day would come. What else can we do this offseason? Here are notable players still available:

Position Players

• Bryce Harper (OF) - Unlikely
  • Marwin Gonzalez (UTIL)
  • Josh Harrison (2B) 
  • Adam Jones (OF) 
  • Jose Iglesias (SS) 
  • Carlos Gonzalez (OF) 
  • Denard Span (OF)

Pitchers

• Dallas Keuchel (SP)
  • Gio Gonzalez (SP)
  • Clay Buchholz (SP)
  • Craig Kimbrel (RP)
  • Tony Sipp (RP)
  • Nick Vincent (RP)
  • Adam Warren (RP)

Is it worth looking into any of these guys or should we be looking forward to next year's class? (Which is loaded by the way)

No. 

For what? Let the kids play. 

Edited by chetkincaid
That apostrophe sucked.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They're going to draft Vaughn and try to have him up in 2020. 

I was about to write that in a post in the machado thread, how they were going to accelerate signing b free agents and were definitely going to draft vaugn and a college pitcher in round 2, but deleted it to not sound too angry online haha

For a bit of positivity on this day of negativity:

If the Sox really aren't going to be players on the FA market they need to spend less money on the team and take the ~30M or whatever they were going to spend on Machado or Harper and pour it into scouting, analytics, the international market and player development. Go be the Rays or A's. If you want to be that type of team, do it right. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

enjoy watching that team flounder for another 4 or 5 years

this "competitive in 2020" nonsense is just that 

The Sox do not know how to build a successful team, if people arent willing to use their own two eyes then well..

Hey, I didn't say i'd like it. Do what you can - voice your displeasure to the org and/or media, cancel your tickets, whatever. Just know that there is no history of the Sox being responsive to fan concerns, and a very long history of insulating their failures from any real consequence. Basically, if you're someone who wants change after repeated failures (really, all of us), you shouldn't get your hopes up.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

For a bit of positivity on this day of negativity:

If the Sox really aren't going to be players on the FA market they need to spend less money on the team and take the ~30M or whatever they were going to spend on Machado or Harper and pour it into scouting, analytics, the international market and player development. Go be the Rays or A's. If you want to be that type of team, do it right. 

Cmon man, you know this isn't happening.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was about to write that in a post in the machado thread, how they were going to accelerate signing b free agents and were definitely going to draft vaugn and a college pitcher in round 2, but deleted it to not sound too angry online haha

They're still way to fucking conservative in the draft for my liking. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I had hoped that Sale taught them a lesson about taking calculated risks in the draft but I guess not. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Today is not a day you have to “be positive” 

It’s a historically bad day for the franchise, and quite frankly not a single fan should have any faith in JR-KW-RH. Yes, Eloy may be amazing. Moncada might figure it out. Then what? Does anyone really have faith this front office can field a 25 man roster that is really going to be dangerous? I just don’t anymore. I’m finally to the point of just 0% faith.

I don't disagree at all. Just trying to lighten up the mood. If we're all at zero faith on this (I think that is pretty much the consensus) then we need to treat JR like he's Bill Wirtz. Watch on TV, sure. But don't go to games or buy merchandise. If new ownership ever comes in and does it right, we need to embrace them like the city embraced the Hawks during their turnaround. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They're still way to fucking conservative in the draft for my liking. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I had hoped that Sale taught them a lesson about taking calculated risks in the draft but I guess not. 

Sale was still a college pitcher who they could rush up to the big leagues.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Sale was still a college pitcher who they could rush up to the big leagues.

There are times to be conservative and there are times to take risks. It all depends on who is on the board. They never take a fucking risk. 

Last year was the perfect example. They had a chance to take a risk on Liberatore and they blew it by taking the "safe" pick in Madrigal. Same thing in 2017 with Burger. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• BigSexy23 changed the title to Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future