Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future

BigSexy23

Future looks bleak and promising at the same time. Born a Sox fan and will die one. Probably won't give them any of my money for a while.

We're at the same point as 1970-71 off season. Terrible team and ownership. Some very good prospects. Only hope is that team was 2nd best team in AL less than 2 years later.

Is the next Wilbur Wood sitting in our bullpen right now? Will we trade a sore armed lefty[Rodon] for the best player in baseball? I highly doubt it.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Sox were already as irrelevant as can be for casual baseball followers, and now you have the diehards saying they’re done going to games. This is a very bad day for a very bad franchise.

Yep, 29th in ratings for t.v. and radio.

Only reason they’re not officially 30th is that they have no reliable scores for Toronto.

And another year of Benetti witticisms to withstand.   

At least Hawk doesn’t have to be the company man and feign enthusiasm for another insufferably long year.

Might as well leave James Shields’ locker there encased in glass next to Jay and Alonso.

Will there even be any energy remaining to boo Machado?  Do we have a series with the Padres this year?  Home or away?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox were already as irrelevant as can be for casual baseball followers, and now you have the diehards saying they’re done going to games. This is a very bad day for a very bad franchise.

Yeah, this was about one of the only things that could have disenfranchised the diehards like us to where we cant forgive them. We have been through a lot of shit and we are remarkably patient (maybe not on soxtalk in our posts but as a fan) but this one with all things considered? They showed their asses to us this time and there will be some that do not continue as diehards any longer.   

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Are there any moves besides Harper that eases the sting of losing Machado? For example Keuchel, Marwin and Kimbrel on discounts, trade for Joc?

No. Harper or Bust. Keuchel/Kimbrel would be putting band-aids on a bullet wound. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Are there any moves besides Harper that eases the sting of losing Machado? For example Keuchel, Marwin and Kimbrel on discounts, trade for Joc?

No way.  Harper or bust.  

But they’ll probably overpay a fading Keuchel for 3-4 years at a “value price point” and he'll somehow become another James Shields of Sox lore. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

no please no. The problem is with machado/harper you had pieces part of a sustained run. This is just artificially propping up 2019-20/2020-21 when maybe you should just let it ride and allow more flexibility.

One thing’s for certain.  Nick Madrigal has always played with a chip on his shoulder.  They’re now the underdogs of all underdogs fighting for respectability.  Southside Sox Blue Collar.  It has never been the White Sox way to have nice shiny things for too long, anyway, and they still only have to wait for the Indians to self-implode in order to make the playoffs.

And Machado’s offensive numbers are going to go way down at PetCo.

The last time Preller went crazy in FA, 2014-15, he signed a worst group of players than even Rick Hahn is capable of assembling. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, shipps said:

Yeah, this was about one of the only things that could have disenfranchised the diehards like us to where we cant forgive them. We have been through a lot of shit and we are remarkably patient (maybe not on soxtalk in our posts but as a fan) but this one with all things considered? They showed their asses to us this time and there will be some that do not continue as diehards any longer.   

So true. Do you want to know what is sad? Throughout the whole ordeal I had little faith they'd get him. I thought the FO was lying to us. I'm not bragging that I was right, I'm just really disappointed that my skepticism was 100% warranted. 

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

No way.  Harper or bust.  

But they’ll probably overpay a fading Keuchel for 3-4 years at a “value price point” and he'll somehow become another James Shields of Sox lore. 

Nah Jaime Navarro, sure. At least that guy only cost money. Tatis/Shields could be one of the worst trades in baseball history. 

Like I said from the very beginning, the Sox aren't signing any big name FA's. I'm glad I didn't really follow the saga. The Sox have to produce stars to succeed, not buy them. The South Side of Chicago just isn't an attractive place to play baseball. I'm fine with it. I like a lot of the young talent and my favorite thing in baseball is watching kids grow into MLB players. I still have hope that some of these guys will be stars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nah Jaime Navarro, sure. At least that guy only cost money. Tatis/Shields could be one of the worst trades in baseball history. 

I didn’t have the heart to resurrect my Tatis, Jr., thread on a day like today...it’s already bad enough without seeing those two together.

Thst said, they have a long and winding road to even near the Dodgers’ stranglehold position on the NL West.

Just wish the NBC Sports Chicago News could show split screen images of the White Sox and Padres ticket offices about right now.  The fans have never been out first since Bill Veeck was owner, even though he was basically bankrupt, he still cared more about the fan experience and the players than modern owners ever will.

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

no please no. The problem is with machado/harper you had pieces part of a sustained run. This is just artificially propping up 2019-20/2020-21 when maybe you should just let it ride and allow more flexibility.

Its a Reinsdorf team. They are going to try to piece together something that will have a shot even though it will only end up with us spending a ton of money on a bunch of nothing.

6 minutes ago, PeoriaLunchBoxBlues said:

Machado seems like he could be the get fat, move to 1B and hit .260 type to me.

I'm disappointed but we may have dodged a bullet.

Manny's offensive numbers are going to dip in San Diego. Pretty much every player that goes there has had this happen to them. I would not be surprised to see him put up a .330 or .340 wOBA in 2019 with the Padres. 

• BigSexy23 changed the title to Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future