Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future

BigSexy23

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

You don't have to be a complete baby while you discuss White Sox baseball. We were never signing Machado. I never even entertained it. History could have told you that. 

Damn can’t wait to be so wise

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Alfonso and Jay being here daily reminding people we did not get Machado are going to get booed unmercifully.

I certainly hope not.  It's not their fault.  I hope they contribute enough that they can be traded at the deadline.  Alonso could bring an okay return if he produces.  Jay is most likely sunk money.

24 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Alfonso and Jay being here daily reminding people we did not get Machado are going to get booed unmercifully.

I think I said this in a different thread: They are symbols of the FO's failure this offseason, and ignorant fans are likely to take it out on them. If JR cares about them as a human, he'll release Jay and Hahn will look for a trade partner for Alonso asap. The money shouldn't matter, because it isn't fair to them to subject them to ignorant fan vitriol for something that wasn't their fault. Neither player should come east with the team. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think I said this in a different thread: They are symbols of the FO's failure this offseason, and ignorant fans are likely to take it out on them. If JR cares about them as a human, he'll release Jay and Hahn will look for a trade partner for Alonso asap. The money shouldn't matter, because it isn't fair to them to subject them to ignorant fan vitriol for something that wasn't their fault. Neither player should come east with the team. 

I agree. There's no need for either of them right now, so swallow your pride and find partners or DFA/trade them both. Let them sign somewhere better for them and for us.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

New board name might be a start, lol.

Harper-related or no faith left to believe he’s NOT pre-destined for the Phillies?

I will change it to Harper2Phillies.

Or PinkSlips4KHahnny

KHahnny = Kenny + Hahn.  Kind of like GarPax.

Edited by Machado2Sox

58 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Don't do a damn thing.  Play out Hahn's 7th straight losing season as GM and hope to god the couple players worth developing actually develop.  Then hope they fall ass backwards into an impact acquisition next off season. 

Agreed. I don't see much reason to spend on free agency at this point. Make the season about the youth. If they develops, they are on their way towards contention.

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

You don't have to be a complete baby while you discuss White Sox baseball. We were never signing Machado. I never even entertained it. History could have told you that. 

So are you saying this pursuit of the past three months by the front office, which today Hahn claimed the organization should be proud of, was just a charade?  Were we all duped by Sox management, in your view?  Or are you suggesting the pursuit was a fool’s errand on management’s part?  

There are a TON of great comments on this thread, both on the positive side and the negative side.

The rebuild is not doomed because they didn't sign Machado. It is indeed possible that the Sox take over this division and win fans back in the coming years.

That said, Machado would have gone a long, long way towards helping this rebuild reach it's endgame. Machado insulates the organization from the absolute need to strike a Cub-level of success with prospects and hit on all of our non 1B infielders. TA, improved his defense yes... but we still need him to develop into a consistent offensive threat. This is not a given for TA. Moncada, sure he could explode next year. I still feel really good about Yoan personally, but... it is not a given. Madrigal, super great prospect despite his shortcomings that many here love to talk about... not a given. Hell, even Machado isn't a given, but I think he has proven that you could reasonably expect several years of quality MLB level play before the eventual decline. Top of the range? Hall of fame caliber. Now, you absolutely need to hit on TA, Yoan and Madrigal. You absolutely need TA to hone his offensive skills. You need Moncada to explode. You need Madrigal to pan out. There's no insulation, there's no "well, if TA busts but Yoan and Madrigal hit, then at least we have Machado and that makes up our IF". 

Hahn talks so much about critical mass. He has that possibility in the OF, sure. The fact that we are loaded with OF prospects is why Machado makes so much more sense than Harper. How in the actual fuck can you expect a critical mass of talent to take over and consistently win in this situation with the IF? Even if all 3 of our IF guys hit, what if they get injured? Then you have guys like Yolmer and Rondon... acceptable 4th IF guys taking a full time role. Beyond those guys, you are hoping Jake Burger can hit like a stud and stick at 3B.... questionable. After that, you have wildcards like Lenyn Sosa and Luis Curbelo and that is... about it for MIF prospects. Sure, it is within the realm of possibility that one of them explodes as a prospect.. but it is honestly somewhat bleak looking right now.

Signing Machado was essential to this rebuild. It was essential to Rick Hahn's critical mass master plan. No, it is not doomed now, but to go ahead and miss an absolutely golden, shining opportunity to add an elite MLB player, in his prime, at a reasonable price with the only real downside being the last few years of his deal, which is when our window should be closing anyway, is completely absurd. It is, frankly, unacceptable. 

Look around you. This is a group of absolute die-hard Sox fans. Thick and thin. Everyone is mailing it in. As if the Sox weren't already under a lot of pressure to reignite this fanbase, it somehow got worse today. Well, here's the facts: You aren't winning back any casual fans today, and diehard fans are losing their shit. They all understand the opportunity that was just missed. Overall, it was a smart idea to sign Machado, given the circumstances. I won't rehash them because they've been said so well already. The bottom line is this, can you expect another elite MIF to be available as an FA, in their prime, without any of the "big boys" bidding? If so, can you expect the Sox to actually win that player? Can you expect to win ANY player if the Sox will never give an opt-out in a contract because they're unwilling to budge off of a ridiculous perception of how MLB FA "should be"? Are the Sox going to be the pioneers who usher in the MLB FA Age of Reason? Every other team will say "Wow, look at how smart the White Sox are for showing us the way."? LMFAO.

Fuck all of that.

Let me preface this by saying I give it about a 5% of happening, but the only way to save this situation is to say fuck it and sign Harper. Sure, you'd rather add an IF to get to IF critical mass rather than another OF... but he is still a generational talent. Adding him eases the pain. Adding him brings the diehards back from the ledge AND piques the casual fan. This is the price the Sox are going to have to pay for fucking around with Machado and getting too cute with his contract. Now, you have to basically suck Scott Boras dick and give him a blank check.

Now that I think about it, I amend my 5% chance to .1%. No opt outs, no 325+ over 10 years, no Harper.

I'm with everyone here in the complete frustration with the franchise. Baseball is a wonderful game, it will be fun to follow some of the young guys. I can't give any time to other teams, I don't have more free time, so I won't just abandon Sox fandom. That's just dumb anyway. But, the Sox needed to earn my free time, and Machado would have gone a long way for me, personally. I'd have been in on some sort of ticket plan and allotting time to go to the park and watch this team. This missed opportunity, at an epic level, completely kills that desire in me. I'll just pick up tickets on Stubhub for a few dollars if I feel like watching them live. Or, more likely, just be content watching highlights and saving money AND time. 

Cheers, everyone. I hope your drinks are tasting okay tonight. 

• Thanks 4

• BigSexy23 changed the title to Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future