Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future

BigSexy23

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

The White Sox have never lost 100 games two seasons in a row. The 2019 team looks like it could lose 100 games again. But JR and his investors will still laugh all the way to the bank.

I’ll be surprised if they lose 100 games again. 90? Sure, but not 100 unless they get hit with significant injuries.

I’m one of the few that wanted no part of Machado. I’m upset they are apparently out on Harper but at this point you stick to the rebuild. Another year of tanking in 2019 and top 5 draft pick in 2020 combined with this year’s #3 pick, a top 5 minor league system already, and young controllable talent already at the big league level and there is still hope.

See how the young guys perform in 2019 and if they take a big step forward stay aggressive in FA next winter for the “second tier” free agent types like Rendon, Goldy, etc. in hopes of competing in 2020. If the young talent does not take a step forward in 2019, no sense in signing a bunch of free agents next winter. At that point, trade Rodon in either late July 2019 or next winter if he is healthy and productive. Trade short term contracts like Abreu, Alonso, Jay, Castillo, Colome, Herrera in late July to further reinforce the minor league system. Target 2021 as the start of the organization’s competitive window with young talent at the big league and all throughout the minor league levels. Supplement with free agency in winter of 2020/2021.

This team isn’t ready to compete and may not be ready for another two years. Not a popular opinion but I believe missing on Machado is a blessing in disguise. Much like the awful Shields trade that started this entire process. Signing Machado would have given the front office false hope that they could compete in 2019 I’m afraid. Sorry, but not ready to start unloading prospects to “go for it” in 2019 and likely not 2020 either.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they aren't willing to go big for Harper, then you continue the rebuild and continue to accumulate assets with high draft picks and the like.

One player doesn’t make us a pennant winner. We can use that money to go after other  very good players to fill multiple needs and continue stocking our farm system. This is not the end of the world 

• Like 1

• BigSexy23 changed the title to Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future

Potential Position Player Free Agents (Options Pending)

Catchers

• Francisco Cervelli
  • Yasmani Grandal

First Base

• Jose Abreu
  • Matt Carpenter
  • Paul Goldschmidt
  • Anthony Rizzo
  • Justin Smoak

Second Base

• Scooter Gennett

ShortStop

• Elvis Andrus
  • Xander Bogaerts
  • Didi Gregorius

Third Base

• Nolan Arenado
  • Josh Donaldson
  • Anthony Rendon

Outfielder

• JD Martinez
  • Marcell Ozuna
  • Aaron Hicks
  • Nicholas Castellanos
  • Khris Davis

42 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

One player doesn’t make us a pennant winner. We can use that money to go after other  very good players to fill multiple needs and continue stocking our farm system. This is not the end of the world 

Yep. This is where I’m at. If Hahn is truly authorized to increase payroll by $30-50M (or more) a year moving forward, he shouldn’t have to settle for scrap heap types like years past but productive second tier all star players like Bogaerts, Rendon, Grandal, Goldy, JDM, etc. Those guys won’t require $200M+, $30M AAV contracts. JDM would be my preference. He’ll be 32 when he opts our after this season and perhaps the best hitter in baseball right now. Limited to DH so his market will be naturally depressed to AL only teams and Boston will have other priority FA’s to lock down long term like last year’s MVP. Pairing him with Eloy for 2020-2024 seasons would be a lot of fun.

58 minutes ago, BigSexy23 said:

Potential Position Player Free Agents (Options Pending)

Catchers

• Francisco Cervelli
  • Yasmani Grandal

First Base

• Jose Abreu
  • Matt Carpenter
  • Paul Goldschmidt
  • Anthony Rizzo
  • Justin Smoak

Second Base

• Scooter Gennett

ShortStop

• Elvis Andrus
  • Xander Bogaerts
  • Didi Gregorius

Third Base

• Nolan Arenado
  • Josh Donaldson
  • Anthony Rendon

Outfielder

• JD Martinez
  • Marcell Ozuna
  • Aaron Hicks
  • Nicholas Castellanos
  • Khris Davis

And it really doesn't matter, because Uncle Jerry won't open his wallet. How many moths are in there JR????

They'll sign zero, feign an attempt and say "we tried" 

9 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

This topic isn't worth discussing. The Sox won't get anyone of importance next year or forever for that matter until ownership changes. 

I disagree. Guys like JDM and Goldy are certainly viable options for an owner like Jerry given their future payroll obligations. I can’t imagine they run a sub $100M team payroll every year for the next decade.

18 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

Hahn and the Sox don’t know what a good player is.  They like to waste all of their allotted money on dumpster diving efforts. Go view the thread on all of Hahn’s signings  since he became GM.

Edited by Harper2Sox

On 2/19/2019 at 1:44 PM, BrianAnderson said:

Honestly? Vote with your dollars. Don't show up to the park. Don't turn on the TV. Don't download podcasts. Don't buy beer at the park. Don't buy merchandise.

I for one will be following the Rockies and Astros and Cardinals. I enjoy baseball and I don't need to be tied to terrible baseball and ownership anymore. I want to watch a good, fun product and a good fun product is not Adam Engel and Wellington Castillo and Manny Baneulos.

Unless you live in a Neilsen home, not turning on the tv doesn't affect anything. And that's my plan at the moment. I'm ticked that they lied to us and are cheapskates. I plan on not going to the park this year, and just watching the games on tv. But we'll see....when Eloy comes up, it's going to be hard to not go to games. So I know I might cave.

17 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I disagree. Guys like JDM and Goldy are certainly viable options for an owner like Jerry given their future payroll obligations. I can’t imagine they run a sub $100M team payroll every year for the next decade.

These are exactly the guys I expect us to land, one dimensional guys on the wrong side of 30.  My guess is Goldschmidt is who we ultimately land and it will be awesome when he starts regressing shortly after we sign him.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

These are exactly the guys I expect us to land, one dimensional guys on the wrong side of 30.  My guess is Goldschmidt is who we ultimately land and it will be awesome when he starts regressing shortly after we sign him.

I definitely prefer JDM, and I think he’ll be productive into his mid 30s. As long as the one dimension is “top 5 hitter in MLB” sign me up!

25 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I definitely prefer JDM, and I think he’ll be productive into his mid 30s. As long as the one dimension is “top 5 hitter in MLB” sign me up!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to down play how good these guys are or the value of bat-only guy.  I actively supported JDM’s addition prior to him signing with the Red Sox.  I just don’t think signing either guy to a massive contract when they’ll be 32 free agents is the right approach when you have “unprecedented financial flexibility” and can theoretically sign younger players who can actually play a position.

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to down play how good these guys are or the value of bat-only guy.  I actively supported JDM’s addition prior to him signing with the Red Sox.  I just don’t think signing either guy to a massive contract when they’ll be 32 free agents is the right approach when you have “unprecedented financial flexibility” and can theoretically sign younger players who can actually play a position.

Define “massive.” I don’t think JDM breaks $100M guaranteed on his next contract. I could see 4/95 guaranteed with a team option for a fifth year and $5M buyout or something along those lines. Far cry from $300M, which I would consider massive. Despite being one dimensional, JDM’s fWAR last year nearly equaled Machado’s. Will he maintain it? Probably not at that level but I can see easily him being a 4 WAR DH into his mid 30s and a better hitter than Manny over that same period.

• Like 1