Who is available in 2020? Looking ahead to the future

BigSexy23

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He might very well be 100% the best player available to us, but it's SUCH a White Sox move that I can't believe they'll do anything else. 

You're so right. That would be trying for a double instead of a HR once again. They have to look at it like Sabermetrics. The value of a HR is greater than the value of a double, even if you strike out more often. Also, when swinging for the fences you might accidentally hit a double or triple here or there. If you're only trying to hit a double, you're going to get a single or make an out more often, and the chances of accidentally running into a HR are slim. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 2/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, WBWSF said:

This has to be the biggest PR disaster the franchise has had   since the White Flag Trade. I wonder what if anything the FO is going to do now.

We need  a catchy phrase for this disaster like The White Flag Trade, The Machado Disaster ? The Machado Catastrophe ? Calamity Manny ? The Manny Machado Misadventure  (Mishap) ? Front Office Flop ?

21 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I disagree. Guys like JDM and Goldy are certainly viable options for an owner like Jerry given their future payroll obligations. I can’t imagine they run a sub $100M team payroll every year for the next decade.

The obligations on contracts for next year is ridiculously low. The Sox could easily add $100M in contracts for next year alone. Will they ? 10 $10M , 8 12.5M , 6  $16.6M, 5 $20M, 4 $25M , 3 $33M contracts or some combination of these.

58 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The obligations on contracts for next year is ridiculously low. The Sox could easily add $100M in contracts for next year alone. Will they ? 10 $10M , 8 12.5M , 6  $16.6M, 5 $20M, 4 $25M , 3 $33M contracts or some combination of these.

Sox could potentially field a 2020 lineup of the following and still carry a team payroll of just ~$100M:

Madrigal (2b)

Moncada (3b)

JDM (DH)

Goldschmidt (1b)

Jimenez (LF)

Puig (RF)

Collins (C)

Anderson (SS)

Robert (CF)

That’s a playoff lineup if the young guys are even league average collectively. Of course the starting rotation is still a big question mark with wildcards like Kopech and Cease expected to contribute in a big way but it’s not that difficult to envision a playoff roster in 2020 if the prospects are close to as good as advertised and with the addition of second tier/realistic free agent targets like JDM, Goldy, and Puig.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sox could potentially field a 2020 lineup of the following and still carry a team payroll of just ~$100M:

Madrigal (2b)

Moncada (3b)

JDM (DH)

Goldschmidt (1b)

Jimenez (LF)

Puig (RF)

Collins (C)

Anderson (SS)

Robert (CF)

That’s a playoff lineup if the young guys are even league average collectively. Of course the starting rotation is still a big question mark with wildcards like Kopech and Cease expected to contribute in a big way but it’s not that difficult to envision a playoff roster in 2020 if the prospects are close to as good as advertised and with the addition of second tier/realistic free agent targets like JDM, Goldy, and Puig.

I think the biggest priority for the money next year will be a top flight starting pitcher. The rotation will still be so young that you need a veteran leader, a true ace. Even though Kopech and Cease are better prospects than Giolito and Lopez they both have issues for 2020. Kopech will be coming of his TJ surgery and in his first full year and therefore might start the year in the minors and certainly won't have the stamina necessary to pitch a full season. Cease still has to survive 2019 uninjured and also is still building up his innings, Dunning also coming off injury and has to survive 2019 uninjured . Hansen we cannot count on for much of anything right now.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think the biggest priority for the money next year will be a top flight starting pitcher. The rotation will still be so young that you need a veteran leader, a true ace. Even though Kopech and Cease are better prospects than Giolito and Lopez they both have issues for 2020. Kopech will be coming of his TJ surgery and in his first full year and therefore might start the year in the minors and certainly won't have the stamina necessary to pitch a full season. Cease still has to survive 2019 uninjured and also is still building up his innings, Dunning also coming off injury and has to survive 2019 uninjured . Hansen we cannot count on for much of anything right now.

Personally, I’d look to the trade market for controllable starting pitching. Should have enough assets between the current minor league system and June draft to put together a really nice package for a solid starter or two.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We need  a catchy phrase for this disaster like The White Flag Trade, The Machado Disaster ? The Machado Catastrophe ? Calamity Manny ? The Manny Machado Misadventure  (Mishap) ? Front Office Flop ?

Im not creative but it should have to do with having a seat at the table or a participation trophy... maybe proud of our effort

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Personally, I’d look to the trade market for controllable starting pitching. Should have enough assets between the current minor league system and June draft to put together a really nice package for a solid starter or two.

Not I, not when the payroll is still so low next year. No sense diluting the talent pool when talent is available for just money. Sox need the prospects to be good and screwing up by trading the wrong one(s) would be terrible. I realize signing free agents hasn't been management's strong suit but when the money is there they need to sign top end talent.

I think no matter what the talent will be there for position players but waiting for the starting pitching to mature would be a bigger mistake. But we have to wait and see how guys progress again this year so it's a bit premature to determine who to go after anyway. Besides like I said you can add 4 guys making $25M a year so why trade prospects?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not I, not when the payroll is still so low next year. No sense diluting the talent pool when talent is available for just money. Sox need the prospects to be good and screwing up by trading the wrong one(s) would be terrible. I realize signing free agents hasn't been management's strong suit but when the money is there they need to sign top end talent.

I think no matter what the talent will be there for position players but waiting for the starting pitching to mature would be a bigger mistake. But we have to wait and see how guys progress again this year so it's a bit premature to determine who to go after anyway. Besides like I said you can add 4 guys making $25M a year so why trade prospects?

I guess I see FA pitcher signings as a far bigger risk than FA position players. And after you get through the top few starting pitchers, the remaining list just isn’t very exciting. 

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I guess I see FA pitcher signings as a far bigger risk than FA position players. And after you get through the top few starting pitchers, the remaining list just isn’t very exciting. 

I understand but also the prospect starting pitchers might be a far greater risk as we have seen the past year with the injuries to Kopech Dunning and Hansen's implosion from injury and wildness along with handling Cease with kid gloves because of his TJ surgery. Even if they don't get injured, development could take years or they might just never be as good as we hope, . A least the top of the line starting pitchers are proven commodities. Also if position player prospects are a better investment then wouldn't trading them for the risky starting pitchers also be backwards ? One way or another you are going to need starting pitching . If the payroll is there buy it. Buying position players to fill holes is good too. 3 positions players 1 SP , 2 of each , 3PP 2 SP. The money is there next year. But  we are still operating under the assumption this FO is still capable of making those kinds of transactions and right now it seems pretty unlikely they'd pay fair market value for 1 let alone 3 , 4 or 5 of them.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:42 PM, tray said:

Moncada does not want to play third base.  I would make him play there and if doesn't work out, then trade him. 

Aside from the fact that he could block Madrigal at second, the Sox have to solve the perennial question mark at third base.

Now that Machado is gone, Moncada has to step up at the hot corner.

Madrigal has not even played at AA so his arrival is not imminent. This year is a big year for Moncada. He needs to prove he can hit consistently and reduce his SO. Putting pressure on him to play another position is a distraction he doesn't need. Also, the Sox have been working Madrigal at  SS some  so that is another reason to hold off for now. 

5 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Madrigal (2b)

Moncada (3b)

JDM (DH)

Goldschmidt (1b)

Jimenez (LF)

Puig (RF)

Collins (C)

Anderson (SS)

Robert (CF)

A nice dream...

Not sure if this is the right thread, but as far as who is available in 2020 ...

This might be the right time to fire Hahn and KW if that's the way the Sox want to go. Why? This year we get a top draft pick again and frankly, I expect us to be one of the three worst teams in baseball again this season. Only way to avoid that I guess is Eloy Eloy Eloy. So we are gonna have a top five pick in the summer of 2020.

If we're gonna have somebody else finish the rebuild, you are talking a great draft pick this summer followed by another great pick next summer. Our payroll is very very very low so the new GM could be in charge of signing the veteran free agents expected to put us over the top. Why have Hahn and KW continue when these next two draft picks could be VITAL and we still haven't started our signing of mega free agents.

GO SOX!

Edited by greg775

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but as far as who is available in 2020 ...

This might be the right time to fire Hahn and KW if that's the way the Sox want to go. Why? This year we get a top draft pick again and frankly, I expect us to be one of the three worst teams in baseball again this season. Only way to avoid that I guess is Eloy Eloy Eloy. So we are gonna have a top five pick in the summer of 2020.

If we're gonna have somebody else finish the rebuild, you are talking a great draft pick this summer followed by another great pick next summer. Our payroll is very very very low so the new GM could be in charge of signing the veteran free agents expected to put us over the top. Why have Hahn and KW continue when these next two draft picks could be VITAL and we still haven't started our signing of mega free agents.

GO SOX!

BWAHHAHAHA.