Updated with $/WAR: Every Hahn MLB Free Agent Signing since 2012/2013

bmags

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He didn't get fired. He quit the Red Sox twice.

I still think Mozeliak is the best in the business. Having the balls to let Pujols walk won me over. Los cojones grandes. He's great at making decisions on who to pay. Goldschmidt and Holliday were great examples. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, Dave Dombrowski built the team. Sigh..... 

Put them over the  top.

We can only imagine the excuses you would make for Hahn if his former MVP was to miss a season and they didn't win. The facts are he signed JD Martinez, got Chris Sale, and had one of the better teams of all time.

• Like 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Put them over the  top.

We can only imagine the excuses you would make for Hahn if his former MVP was to miss a season and they didn't win. The facts are he signed JD Martinez, got Chris Sale, and had one of the better teams of all time.

95% of the team was acquired, drafted and developed by someone else. 

You want to pat the guy on the back for signing jd Martinez?

Sale is a big TBD too. He didnt do much down the stretch or in the playoffs. He was actually bad. Then he signs him to an extension. I love sale but if you want to pat a GM on the back for thinking that Sale and JD Martinez were good then you better be ready to pat a lot of backs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sale is a big TBD too. He didnt do much down the stretch or in the playoffs. He was actually bad. Then he signs him to an extension. I love sale but if you want to pat a GM on the back for thinking that Sale and JD Martinez were good then you better be ready to pat a lot of backs.

Theo is an A to B GM and Dombrowski is a B to C GM. Both of Dombrowski's championships were B to C jobs. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He had the Marlins in the WS. Look at the mess he had when he took over the Tigers and he made the WS by 2006.  All of the 3 teams he GMd made the WS. Detroit twice. I

If he's a dunce, what is Rick Hahn?

And I will give him credit for signing JD Martinez.  Picked him up as a free agent after Houston released him.  And if you are not going to credit him for Martinez or Sale, will you give him credit for his minor deal when he acquired the WS MVP?

He also beat the White Sox out for Miguel Cabrera, an AL Central game changer.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He had the Marlins in the WS. Look at the mess he had when he took over the Tigers and he made the WS by 2006.  All of the 3 teams he GMd made the WS. Detroit twice. I

If he's a dunce, what is Rick Hahn?

All the GMs that are being nitpicked here are galaxies above the crap we have in our FO currently.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

When they lead to world series victories? A lot.

You seem to be capable of a lot of cognitive dissonance that actually all of hahns worst moves are okay, and moves that led to a world series were in fact bad.

I would never blast the Chapman trade because it led to a ring and at the end of the day a successful season = winning a ring. Glad to see you’ve come around!

And yes, Theo is a terrific GM/President but you can’t compare him to Hahn because they are operating with a completely different set of resources at their disposal. In a sport with no hard cap, these types of comparisons simply cannot be made. It’s apples and oranges. Theo should be compared against the likes of Dombrowski, Cashman, Friedman, etc. Cashman is still GOAT in the modern era.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And yes, Theo is a terrific GM/President but you can’t compare him to Hahn because they are operating with a completely different set of resources at their disposal. In a sport with no hard cap, these types of comparisons simply cannot be made. It’s apples and oranges. Theo should be compared against the likes of Dombrowski, Cashman, Friedman, etc. Cashman is still GOAT in the modern era.

All I know is Theo had his team in the NLCS after a 3 year rebuild where he didn't have Sale and Q and Eaton to trade. Our guy had that, and now the fanbase is willing to give him even longer than 3 years because of a pitcher requiring TJ surgery.  He also got some cheaper parts to the Red Sox winning it, including signing Big Papi after he was a non tender. It wasn't all the 9 figure guys. 

And unlike several other places, one reason the White Sox don't have more funds to spend has been the poor performance from the GM chair for quite a long while.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I would never blast the Chapman trade because it led to a ring and at the end of the day a successful season = winning a ring. Glad to see you’ve come around!

This is what people fail to understand once an outcome occurs... they didnt win because of Aroldis Chapman.

What they may have done is cost themselves a significant amount of value in the long run and hampered their chances of winning over an extended period of time.

Just because you win does not mean all your moves were smart. That assumption is OK for fans to make, I guess, as fans succumb more to outcome bias. But signing Heyward wasnt smart just because they won the world series, so why is a trade smart just because they won. Why do people think that way? Because present day value is something we witness in the moment. Fv is something that takes time to come to fruition. That's why bad free agent signings are still bad even if you win - because fans presently see his shitty value - but bad trades are forgotten... because fans don't see the exact value of the trade until years after.

To someone whose job is to value talent, both present and future, that trade was an absolute train wreck and pretty much everyone would agree. Look at the other relievers trades. The Cubs gave up so much more for even less time than Cleveland gave up for Miller - as an example.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

I'm not going to get into why Dombrowski isn't a very good general manager. He has acquired teams with great farm talent, traded it all, and aged the roster rapidly. Or in the red Sox case, he acquired a finished product with spending flexibility.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Cashman cant hold friedmans jock.

• Like 1

And yes, Theo is a terrific GM/President but you can’t compare him to Hahn because they are operating with a completely different set of resources at their disposal. In a sport with no hard cap, these types of comparisons simply cannot be made. It’s apples and oranges.

Eh.. think you are really underrating Theo. You could've gave him the A's resources and not a doubt in my mind he probably wins a ring that the golden boy Beane couldn't do at the time.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

1. Where would that team have been without JD Martinez? Clearly not 108 wins, but they still win the East.

2. How many free agents have they added that didn't work well? They are still paying Pablo Sandoval money, they were still paying Hanley Ramirez last year, David Price hasn't exactly been worth his contract (although much like Barry Zito and Heyward maybe the postseason makes up for it), they are still paying Rusney Castillo right now. Boston has some advantages in that they can go out and overspend on a number of players that we can't, but that isn't changing the rules. As I say about the busts for other teams - they can have all of the money back from the Sandoval and Ramirez contracts and have Price's contract end right now if they give back the trophy. 

Martinez had 12 game winning RBI's last year.  But he also had a major influence on Mookie Betts whose average jumped 80 points.  

Agree on free agents. They are not concerned about the success rate  Price is 39-19 w them. Good but not an ace. So they go out and add Sale. 

I was glad to see Theo go after he won 2 World Series. But their ownership spends and since Theo left they won 2 more.  Frustrating to watch. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Eh.. think you are really underrating Theo. You could've gave him the A's resources and not a doubt in my mind he probably wins a ring that the golden boy Beane couldn't do at the time.

Underrating him? I said he’s terrific but Cashman is still GOAT. How can anyone argue that?  4 World Series championships, 12 AL East titles and 17 postseason appearances in 21 years.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

All I know is Theo had his team in the NLCS after a 3 year rebuild where he didn't have Sale and Q and Eaton to trade. Our guy had that, and now the fanbase is willing to give him even longer than 3 years because of a pitcher requiring TJ surgery.  He also got some cheaper parts to the Red Sox winning it, including signing Big Papi after he was a non tender. It wasn't all the 9 figure guys. 

And unlike several other places, one reason the White Sox don't have more funds to spend has been the poor performance from the GM chair for quite a long while.

Two simple questions. Would they have won a title or even made it to the NLCS without Jon Lester? Will Jerry EVER authorize a FA signing of a pitcher of Lester’s caliber? That’s all you need to know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Underrating him? I said he’s terrific but Cashman is still GOAT. How can anyone argue that?  4 World Series championships, 12 AL East titles and 17 postseason appearances in 21 years.

Didn't say a thing about Cashman. Was going off the Theo/Hahn "comparison".

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Theo is a good GM but the last 3 years his free agent signings had been an utter disaster. First years were pretty good (lester, zobrist) but the last years had been terrible:

-heyward: 184M, has been one of the worst hitters in the majors since

-darvish: 126M, injured, terrible

-chatwood: 38m, utter disaster

-morrow: 21m, injured all the time

I would say this is almost worse than the 40 busted small signings of the sox who were not expected to do much anyway.

I'm not saying theo did a bad job, he always will be the guy who brought a WS to the cubs but this is 350m wasted on 4 players who barely produced anything. That the cubs are still good despite wasting 350m shows how good their core is but this is still hunting them nowadays, they might win their division again but they went from a juggernaut to a team projected for 86 wins.

The Cubs are still very good and even might win another WS but they went from an all time great dynasty to a merely quite good team mostly due to whiffing on those two huge contracts.

21 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Two simple questions. Would they have won a title or even made it to the NLCS without Jon Lester? Will Jerry EVER authorize a FA signing of a pitcher of Lester’s caliber? That’s all you need to know.

Would Lester have left Boston for the Cubs if Theo was somewhere else?

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh god. If this is a legitimate post, then f**k off. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...