Goodbye Soxtalk

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Like I said, please flame away.  Sometimes in life you need to be shamed to the point of realizing how stupid something is.  Unfortunately, like many of my brethren here, the Sox are more than just a baseball team to me.  Going to White Sox games has been an intregral part of my life and right or wrong (mostly wrong) this shit is devastating to me.  I could take missing on Harper & Machado, but the reasons we missed and what that means going forward destroys all hope.  I applaud anyone here who remains optimistic, but these clowns spent multiple years planning this out and at the end of the day their offer to Manny was beyond delusional.  We will never land a stud free agent with these fucks in charge. 

I think the reason all of us are here is because the White Sox hold a special place in our hearts because of the memories they have provided. They have been an integral part to all of us. Still doesn't change the fact that this is just a game and there are so many other important things in life, and other things to get excited about. The team wasn't even supposed to be in the running for these guys a year ago...that thought was ludicrous.  Now that they got so close to getting one and didn't doesn't change anything. Hahn said it himself...we might not convert on these guys. We didn't this time. Doesn't mean we won't in the future.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

This franchise does not deserve us as fans.  We deserve a better run team.  This sucks.  I wish I could just make myself a Cards fan.  But I'm too invested I think.  

I've lived in Boston for two World Series while my Sox haven't even made the playoffs. It would be so easy to just slip into the crowd and cheer for a perennial winner, but I can never change my colors. I'll keep supporting the White Sox, despite them making little effort to support us as fans.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well hopefully we can grab a beer and catch a game!  That and the beautiful weather will take my mind off the endless second place finishes that are likely in our future. 

Deal. Depending on what the new governor says about pension reform,  I may be there sooner than I think.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Scoots said:

I think the reason all of us are here is because the White Sox hold a special place in our hearts because of the memories they have provided. They have been an integral part to all of us. Still doesn't change the fact that this is just a game and there are so many other important things in life, and other things to get excited about. The team wasn't even supposed to be in the running for these guys a year ago...that thought was ludicrous.  Now that they got so close to getting one and didn't doesn't change anything. Hahn said it himself...we might not convert on these guys. We didn't this time. Doesn't mean we won't in the future.

I’m still behind on everything, but I’m pretty sure I read we were unwilling to give an opt-out clause (please correct me if I’m wrong there).  If that’s the case and we set arbitrary limits on years, then we have no hope landing a stud free agent under the current regime.

Agree with everything else you said.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m still behind on everything, but I’m pretty sure I read we were unwilling to give an opt-out clause (please correct me if I’m wrong there).  If that’s the case and we set arbitrary limits on years, then we have no hope landing a stud free agent under the current regime.

Hey man, it's all good.

There is no real way of knowing what exactly they offered, but hopefully this can be used as a tool for what to expect with future potential acquisitions.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You are correct, Bruce Levine (organization mouthpiece) tweeted within the last hour that the White Sox do not believe in opt-out clauses and would not offer one. 

So, no opt out, 2 vesting options at the end based on plate appearances that a smart organization could maneuver around, and a lower guarantee. The White Sox's offer was a bargain basement offer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You are correct, Bruce Levine (organization mouthpiece) tweeted within the last hour that the White Sox do not believe in opt-out clauses and would not offer one. 

So, no opt out, 2 vesting options at the end based on plate appearances that a smart organization could maneuver around, and a lower guarantee. The White Sox's offer was a bargain basement offer.

Wow, we are beyond fucked.  But hey, there are plenty of B & C free agents we’ll able to sign now and Hahn has done a bang up job with them so far:

🤢

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Nashville is awesome.  If I ever decide to get out of St. Louis that’s where I’m moving.

Same.  I've been thinking about moving to Nashville for years.   If I ever leave Atlanta, Nashville (along with Austin) is at the top of my list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sox72 said:

Why not post this in the Machado thread? Why do we need an entire thread dedicated to your personal disappointment?

100% fair criticism.  Two reasons:

1) I have fifty pages to get through in that thread and wanted an immediate response (admittedly selfish)

2) If there is any chance Hahn or anyone else in the front office scrolls through this site I want them to know their incompetence has cost the franchise two future Sox fans.  I would have done everything in my power to make these kids love the Sox like I do.  Obviously my story means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, but maybe others here feel the same way I do and there is a better chance of that coming across in this thread than the 800+ page Machado one.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% fair criticism.  Two reasons:

1) I have fifty pages to get through in that thread and wanted an immediate response (admittedly selfish)

2) If there is any chance Hahn or anyone else in the front office scrolls through this site I want them to know their incompetence has cost the franchise two future Sox fans.  I would have done everything in my power to make these kids love the Sox like I do.  Obviously my story means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, but maybe others here feel the same way I do and there is a better chance of that coming across in this thread than the 800+ page Machado one.

1) duh

2) He doesn't.  Bye

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

1) duh

2) He doesn't.  Bye

The hate is strong in this one, but I’ll take it.  But in regard to item #2, I truly think you are wrong there.  At the very minimum his kids read this site and hopefully tell him that the vast majority of posters here think he’s a bum.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

The hate is strong in this one, but I’ll take it.  But in regard to item #2, I truly think you are wrong there.  At the very minimum his kids read this site and hopefully tell him that the vast majority of posters here think he’s a bum.

God I hope not.  The vitriol towards their father would be tough to swallow.

Can't blame you at all man for feeling the way you do. It's clear ownership simply refuses to understand the way the negotiating game is played today given the reported limitations. What top free agent in their right minds would take that offer?

Nothing changes with this organization until ownership changes. If that wasn't clear in the past, it is today.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Can't blame you at all man for feeling the way you do. It's clear ownership simply refuses to understand the way the negotiating game is played today given the reported limitations. What top free agent in their right minds would take that offer?

Nothing changes with this organization until ownership changes. If that wasn't clear in the past, it is today.

Exactly.  Machado considered the Sox this offseason but soon the Sox will be in the same position as the Bulls where top players won’t even think of them as a legitimate destination.  Kenny and Hahn can be our GarPax.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

God I hope not.  The vitriol towards their father would be tough to swallow.

What has Hahn done well that we should praise him for...  or that you personally praise him for?  Did you see what he spent $40+ million on this offseason?

One really nice trade (Quintana) doesn’t make up for all the awful free agent signings, Tatis Jr. trade, whiffing on Machado, and seemingly neverending years of losing, which will continue this season.

Edited by Machado2Sox
  • Love 1