Goodbye Soxtalk

Chicago White Sox

Parkman's thoughts: 

1. I cannot nor will not root for the Cubs under any circumstances whatsoever. There are 27 other teams I'd root for before them. The only team on a level playing field with the Cubs in terms of most despised baseball teams is the Twins. Never Cubs. Never Twins. 

2. JR=Dollar Bill for all intents and purposes. I'm going to leave temporarily, but my heart is always with the Sox. I'll pay attention from afar, maybe catch a game or two on TV, but they are no longer a "must watch or listen" team anymore. I'm too broke to waste any of my hard earned money on them, so you won't be seeing me at a game anytime soon.  When new ownership comes, I'll come back, should they stay in town. I have other things I'd much rather do in the Summer anyway. 630PM-dusk is the best time to fish, and I love to fish. 

3. I never expected this rebuild to fail, but now I kind of hope it fails spectacularly , just so Hahn and Kenny look like the fools they are. I have emotionally divested myself from any of the players on the team. 

4. This team continues to straddle the line between being a mid market club and a small market club. Pick a lane and do it right. If they do it right MAYBE I'll come back before Jerry croaks. 

5. I'm just going to enjoy good baseball players, and not have any allegiances until JR is 6 feet under. I love baseball too much to give it up completely. I will always be a Cub and Twin hater.  

6. I reserve the right to change my mind should they sign Harper. I don't believe that this FO has either the cajones or the brains to get it done though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 3

I’ll miss everybody who leaves, but I want to watch Eloy and the other young guys when they arrive.  Frankly, I am still way madder about Tatis than Manny anyhow.  I agree with all the other posters that watching Alonso and especially Jay while they waste roster spots for a year is going to suck.  

i'm here for the long haul but just run this thing like a Tampa. Pile prospects. Know what you are. If the no-opt-outs thing is true, what were we even doing here. Dont take us there. 

Cespedes/Gordon - we wanted those guys. I am fine with finishing second with some reasoning behind the restraint. But when the prospects are in place, and you have the real core identified and set like the Cubs and Stros did, then you do the free agent signings (even if not high profile like this one) and you land them on the green with no questions asked.

The one argument for No Manny that makes sense is that next year was not going to be a window year, and you were always going to have an opt out come into play, thus making Year 1 pointless

Edited by Princess Dye
  • Like 1

Manny played like a piece of shit in the playoffs.  I’m kind of glad that Eloy gets to take the reigns for a year before we sign Arenado and trade for Trout.  Let’s keep adding high character guys.  

I still think this is all fake and the real target is Harper 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I don't understand the overreaction by people around here..

Im a fan of the name on the front of the jersey.. don't jump off a cliff because we couldn't sign someone we never had anyways. Were in the same spot we were already in, and even if we did sign him, were still BAD anyways..

Completely abandoning the organization seems like an overreaction, but to each their own. I'm sure some people will come around again once the season starts. We all wasted A LOT of time in that thread, so that wound is even deeper for some of us. I'm absolutely furious at the FO for failing to close this out and cannot wait until JR, KW, and Hahn are out and a new regime is in place. I have completely lost faith in this FO, and I will not be fooled again. I'll never abandon this team, it's too much a part of me and I have too many shared memories with my father to do so. But I absolutely will do what I can to make sure I greatly reduce the money I've spent on this organization in the past. They'll be lucky if I show up for Eloy's debut. That'll probably be the extent regarding the amount of games I go to this year unless tickets are freely given to me. 

I'll be here, at least lurking...too much promise in the minors to let this shit get me down.  Plus there will be more opportunities in the next couple years, when the Sox should have their window actually opened, not to mention any Draft additions...or foreign additions.

Notable free agents for 2019-20

Catcher: Francisco Cervelli
First base: Paul Goldschmidt, Jose Abreu
Second base: Scooter Gennett, Jonathan Schoop
Third base: Nolan Arenado, Anthony Rendon, Josh Donaldson
Shortstop: Xander Bogaerts, Didi Gregorius
Outfield: Marcell Ozuna, Nicholas Castellanos, Yasiel Puig, Aaron Hicks, Adam Eaton
DH: Khris Davis, J.D. Martinez (opt-out)
Starting pitchers: Chris Sale, Gerrit Cole, Madison Bumgarner, Justin Verlander, Zack Wheeler, Stephen Strasburg (opt-out)
Relievers: Dellin Betances, Arodys Vizcaino, Ryan Pressly

Notable free agents for 2020-21

Catcher: J.T. Realmuto, Mike Zunino, Yadier Molina
First base: Matt Carpenter, C.J. Cron, Yuli Gurriel, Ryan Zimmerman
Second base: Starlin Castro, Jason Kipnis, Cesar Hernandez
Third base: Justin Turner, Zack Cozart, Jake Lamb
Shortstop: Andrelton Simmons, Jonathan Villar, Marcus Semien, Jurickson Profar
Outfield: Mike Trout, Mookie Betts, George Springer, Yoenis Cespedes, David Peralta, Michael Brantley, Joc Pederson, Jackie Bradley Jr., Jay Bruce, Giancarlo Stanton (opt-out not likely, but has one)
DH: Edwin Encarnacion
Starting pitchers: Jacob deGrom, Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta, Marcus Stroman, Kyle Hendricks, Jose Quintana
Relievers: Blake Treinen, Sean Doolittle, Jeremy Jeffress, Alex Colome, Brandon Morrow

Notable free agents for 2021-22

Catcher: Salvador Perez, Wilson Ramos, Yan Gomes
First base: Freddie Freeman, Anthony Rizzo, Brandon Belt
Second base: Javier Baez, Kolten Wong, Dee Gordon
Third base: Kris Bryant, Eduardo Escobar, Travis Shaw, Miguel Sano
Shortstop: Francisco Lindor, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story
Outfield: Michael Conforto, Tommy Pham, Starling Marte, Kyle Schwarber, Byron Buxton
Starting pitchers: Aaron Nola, Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, Max Scherzer, Zack Greinke Chris Archer, Mike Foltynewicz
Relievers: Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Brad Hand, Jeurys Familia, Corey Knebel, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias, Roberto Osuna

Bolded my main interests in the next couple years...plus there is possible trades, or foreign free agents as well

Edited by TheBlackSox8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Like I said, please flame away.  Sometimes in life you need to be shamed to the point of realizing how stupid something is.  Unfortunately, like many of my brethren here, the Sox are more than just a baseball team to me.  Going to White Sox games has been an intregral part of my life and right or wrong (mostly wrong) this shit is devastating to me.  I could take missing on Harper & Machado, but the reasons we missed and what that means going forward destroys all hope.  I applaud anyone here who remains optimistic, but these clowns spent multiple years planning this out and at the end of the day their offer to Manny was beyond delusional.  We will never land a stud free agent with these fucks in charge. 

I was worried about what your reaction would be to all this.

You'll probably calm down after a week or two.

I mean, if Michael Kopech didn't get hurt and Yoan Moncada/Giolito both were studs/All-Stars last year, we wouldn't even likely have been dipping our toes into free agency until the 2019-20 cycle.

Just by the process of the Indians eventually being dismantled, it means SOMEONE will have to represent the AL Central in the playoffs in 2021-22-23.

The White Sox (still) are as good a bet as ANY team to get there in the division, even if you're looking at things from a Keith Law/Everything White Sox-Related Is NOT AWESOME and we're 13th in minor league talent instead of Top 3-5 perspective.

If you look at all those examples like Cespedes and Gordon and Tanaka, all three of them wouldn't have worked out successfully for the White Sox...although you can certainly argue Tanaka would have helped I guess.

Playoff team, though?  No way.

This White Sox team making the playoffs and even winning a series or two is still largely dependent on the talent existing on our 40 man roster.

If Manny and Harper had signed way back in November, and there hadn't been such a LONG LONG time for everyone to have their hopes raised, we all wouldn't be having the reactions we're having...even if it's justified, they came up JUST SHORT for like the millionth time as Sox fans, we're so conditioned to finishing 2nd or not having nice and shiny things that the first real shot since Albert Belle of regaining legitimacy and we're all still a bit shell-shocked (especially the Padres of ALL teams.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Killer ballpark in Nashville from what I’ve heard. They draw very well. 

Overall, the minor league ballpark experience is just so much better than the MLB anyway. 

Once upon a time, the White Sox had their minor league affiliate there.

John Danks might stop by for a visit, lol.

Can't remember if it was AA (Southern League) or AAA, the team's changed affiliations now a number of times...when I was growing up and then got a job working for the Augusta GreenJackets (Sally League), they were firmly-entrenched with the REDS.

Seems they were a Sox affiliate in the mid to late 80's, if I'm remembering correctly.   Then we were with Birmingham.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will say this.  I have always said if sports make you miserable you are doing it wrong, so if you feel strongly about it, god bless you for doing something about it other than b****ing about it for decades.

The better solution for everyone, of which I’m sure you would agree, would be for the owner who has inflicted so much misery on the fan base for four decades now with all of his franchise-crippling, non-fan friendly actions, to be the one to finally go away, not the die-hard fans.  The fact that you are applauding this particular die-hard fan for walking away from a team he’s clearly so passionate about is really rather appalling.  

For whatever reason, your feelings are hurt so much more and you become so much more angry at fans reacting negatively to this owner’s continued failures than the failures themselves.  The thinking couldn’t be more backwards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fact we are where we are sucks but Machado doesn't change much. I don't understand the collective freak out. So what if we lose 95 games instead of 90.

The orioles were one of the worst teams in baseball with him on the roster and this roster is worse everyone is looking for that one guy who is going to change this team around. That isn't how baseball works. We could have signed both Harper plus Machado and still would have likely missed the playoffs.

I grew up on the South side of the city and took CTA buses to go to Sox games  as a high school kid.  My family and most friends still live in the suburban Chicago area.  I love them and love the White Sox and would never think of moving South .   Nashville? LOL.   Play that country music white boy..

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The fact we are where we are sucks but Machado doesn't change much. I don't understand the collective freak out. So what if we lose 95 games instead of 90.

The orioles were one of the worst teams in baseball with him on the roster and this roster is worse everyone is looking for that one guy who is going to change this team around. That isn't how baseball works. We could have signed both Harper plus Machado and still would have likely missed the playoffs.

This isn’t about next year, it’s about 2020 to 2023 which should be core contention window.  And Machado would helped a fuckton during that period.

CWS,

I never thought YOU would be the one who had to be talked down from off the ledge.

Better to take a week or two and get your mind completely away from the game of baseball and approach it from a fresh perspective.

Sometimes, one loses the forest for the trees when we get so wrapped up in something happening, or, in this case, not happening...even when we've been waiting with expectation for seemingly half a year, if not longer.

If you've been a White Sox fan since the late 1970's, you'll realize it's never THAT dark as it first appears...and how many times do we look back on these megacontracts as little as 2-3 years later and say "wow, we REALLY dodged a bullet there!!!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

You're completely missing the point. This was a unique opportunity to add a 26yo superstar to the rebuild. It would of greatly increased the chances of the rebuild leading to a World Series eventually. It's not about next year. I'm surprised anyone here doesn't realize that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Sarava said:

You're completely missing the point. This was a unique opportunity to add a 26yo superstar to the rebuild. It would of greatly increased the chances of the rebuild leading to a World Series eventually. It's not about next year. I'm surprised anyone here doesn't realize that.

No, the majority realizes this.  It’s about going forward, not just 2019.  Anyone who responds with, “he’s only a difference of 5-6 wins” is just in denial and deflecting on how epic of a failure this was for the Sox front office.  These same people who don’t think that missing out on Machado is a big deal should also answer where else these 5-6 extra wins will come from going forward, cuz it sure isn’t coming from the mediocre stop-gaps that Hahn spent $40+ million on this offseason.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The better solution for everyone, of which I’m sure you would agree, would be for the owner who has inflicted so much misery on the fan base for four decades now with all of his franchise-crippling, non-fan friendly actions, to be the one to finally go away, not the die-hard fans.  The fact that you are applauding this particular die-hard fan for walking away from a team he’s clearly so passionate about is really rather appalling.  

For whatever reason, your feelings are hurt so much more and you become so much more angry at fans reacting negatively to this owner’s continued failures than the failures themselves.  The thinking couldn’t be more backwards. 

I would value taking control of your own life over being bitter and having hurt feelings about things that happened decades ago in sports. Yes. That seems obvious to me,  but some apparently enjoy being miserable and bragging about it.

Notice only one of us is angry here? Who here is negative and appalled?  Who is miserable? Whose feelings are hurt? It sure isn't mine, it is you who is using these terms to describe the fan base you include yourself in.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Once upon a time, the White Sox had their minor league affiliate there.

John Danks might stop by for a visit, lol.

Can't remember if it was AA (Southern League) or AAA, the team's changed affiliations now a number of times...when I was growing up and then got a job working for the Augusta GreenJackets (Sally League), they were firmly-entrenched with the REDS.

Seems they were a Sox affiliate in the mid to late 80's, if I'm remembering correctly.   Then we were with Birmingham.

Yep, there seems to be a higher-than-normal contingent of Sox fans in Nashville (over the age of 30 anyway) due to that old affiliation we had.  The Braves dominate the south, but I know some guys who are Sox fans because they grew up going to those minor league games and saw future White Sox players all the time.

Chicago is certainly a haven for crime. But Nashville has one of the highest crime rates in America based on it's size. Do your research as to where to relocate to in that area.  Good luck to you and your family in your new locale. Certainly the weather will be a bonus. 

• Like 1