Goodbye Soxtalk

Chicago White Sox

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would value taking control of your own life over being bitter and having hurt feelings about things that happened decades ago in sports. Yes. That seems obvious to me,  but some apparently enjoy being miserable and bragging about it.

Notice only one of us is angry here? Who here is negative and appalled?  Who is miserable? Whose feelings are hurt? It sure isn't mine, it is you who is using these terms to describe the fan base you include yourself in.

Seriously Sox fans. Take a step back from the ledge and read this post. 

I am dissapointed but it's not the end of the world or my White Sox fandom. Maybe people need to step back and re-read their own posts in the Machado thread. So many Sox fans were picking and choosing which "insider" they believed and hinged their hopes and dreams on it while ignoring more times than not these "insiders" are full of shit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

The better solution for everyone, of which I’m sure you would agree, would be for the owner who has inflicted so much misery on the fan base for four decades now with all of his franchise-crippling, non-fan friendly actions, to be the one to finally go away, not the die-hard fans.  The fact that you are applauding this particular die-hard fan for walking away from a team he’s clearly so passionate about is really rather appalling.  

For whatever reason, your feelings are hurt so much more and you become so much more angry at fans reacting negatively to this owner’s continued failures than the failures themselves.  The thinking couldn’t be more backwards. 

The owner and his partners might snag $1B for a $20M investment.

16 hours ago, ptatc said:

Deal. Depending on what the new governor says about pension reform,  I may be there sooner than I think.

Keep me informed about that please. I might be retiring in a year or so. So cal is too expensive to live here and state taxes ridiculous . Will only be for the rich . the working poor or the homeless soon.

16 hours ago, ptatc said:

Deal. Depending on what the new governor says about pension reform,  I may be there sooner than I think.

Unfortunately I bought a home here and my wife (who is a teacher) and I want to have kids here. I’m somewhat terrified about what will happen when the bubble bursts and our taxes are even higher than they are now. We may have to move somewhere else in Illinois to meet the cost of living and give her a shot at getting a retirement. The pension problem really needs to be fixed so that younger workers who don’t get social security can retire.

17 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s been wild ride with you guys, but I’m officially the fuck out of here.  I’m moving the family to Nashville so my children do not have to endure the incompetence of this front office & ownership group.  Unfortunately nothing will ever change until Uncle Jerry dies and the fact I even had to type that sentence shows just how we fucked we all are as Sox fans.  We all deserve so much better.  Like we literally just got punked by the San Diego fucking Padres.  At least we had a seat at the table right...right...right?

I fully expect to be ridiculed endlessly for this post and I totally accept that.  Please flame away and tell I’m an idiot and all will be fine.  I really want to believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel here, but when this front office can’t land an elite free agent when they practically fall into their lap I’ve simply lost all hope.

Oh, I'm so blind, oh, I'm blind
I wasted time wasted, wasted, wasted time
Walkin' on the wire, high wire
But I must let the show go on

Edit: I know I could've used PInk Floyds  or Queens versions of their own The SHow Must Go On songs ,all great songs ,but I chose Three Dog Night for the Circus Music along with those particular lyrics.
Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
add content

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Keep me informed about that please. I might be retiring in a year or so. So cal is too expensive to live here and state taxes ridiculous . Will only be for the rich . the working poor or the homeless soon.

Maybe they should start clawing back all those sweetheart subsidies the Stadium Authority and Jim Thompson gave to the White Sox in the late 80’s...

17 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I respect what you’re going for here, but in all honestly the Sox don’t deserve my kids.  This franchise is rapidly losing relevance and when the market tries to hand them a get out of jail free card they completely botch it with their outdated views.  I may be a lost cause but my kids can find a better use of the 500+ hours a year I put into this team.

We can't always control what our kids end up liking. Yes my father was a Sox fan so I became one. But when I had kids I tried to get my son to become one at an early age.  He showed a lot of athletic ability early on but living in California made it much harder . He ended up liking the Blue Jays because I watched them win the World Series way back when because he was a kid and probably thought the little birds were cute. But he never became a big fan of baseball or any sport because he liked video games much more, Divorcing didn't help either especially when his mother moved both my kids to Arizona and I became less of an influence on him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s been wild ride with you guys, but I’m officially the fuck out of here.  I’m moving the family to Nashville so my children do not have to endure the incompetence of this front office & ownership group.  Unfortunately nothing will ever change until Uncle Jerry dies and the fact I even had to type that sentence shows just how we fucked we all are as Sox fans.  We all deserve so much better.  Like we literally just got punked by the San Diego fucking Padres.  At least we had a seat at the table right...right...right?

I fully expect to be ridiculed endlessly for this post and I totally accept that.  Please flame away and tell I’m an idiot and all will be fine.  I really want to believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel here, but when this front office can’t land an elite free agent when they practically fall into their lap I’ve simply lost all hope.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but I honestly believe the Sox dodged a bullet not signing Manny. He's a very talented young guy but adding one great player to a team is not a recipe for success. If it were the Angels would be in the playoffs every year because they have the greatest player on the planet and still can't figure out how to win with the guy.  Plus, Manny's kind of a douche. And no kid should have to root for a douche. He was going to pose instant problems with his attitude and saddle the Sox with an albatross of a contract. I'm more bummed about Basabe's injury than I am Manny joining the Padres. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Ginger Kid said:

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but I honestly believe the Sox dodged a bullet not signing Manny. He's a very talented young guy but adding one great player to a team is not a recipe for success. If it were the Angels would be in the playoffs every year because they have the greatest player on the planet and still can't figure out how to win with the guy.  Plus, Manny's kind of a douche. And no kid should have to root for a douche. He was going to pose instant problems with his attitude and saddle the Sox with an albatross of a contract. I'm more bummed about Basabe's injury than I am Manny joining the Padres. 

Wise Asian monk says: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot. 

36 minutes ago, The Ginger Kid said:

Agree but the idea was to surround him w enough talent like Eloy , Anderson, Moncada etc. to have a good team. Now his personality is a different thing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pcq said:

The owner and his partners might snag $1B for a $20M investment.

Oh, no one is doubting that the owner and partners’ experience over the past 38 years has been an amazing one.  They’ve profited out the wazoo after blackmailing the state (as was reported in the press at the time) to finance and build a stadium for them from which they would get ALL the revenue and pay little to no expense.  No rent payments between 1991 and 2008, just for example, while pocketing both ALL stadium revenues AND state-provided subsidies.  So yes, the owner and his partners have done extraordinarily well for themselves during the past 28 years in the current stadium.  

Meanwhile, what about us, the faithful fans?  Well, we certainly haven’t seen those massive profits converted into premium free agent talent, now, have we?  Just one such signing since 1991, Albert Belle.  And what about the playoffs, you say?  Unless you somehow consider only one trip to the World Series and just three other brief trips to the playoffs during the last 28 years an embarrassment of riches for the fans, it appears there has been a bit of an imbalance in the experiences we’ve had vs. that of the owner and his partners.  Undeniably.  

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Wise Asian monk says: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot. 

You've been on point this week kudos.  I quit smoking weed for one of my resolutions and I've toked up probably 8 times in the last 50 odd days.  Coming from a daily heavy smoker this is a big change.  I feel a lot more clear headed but man quitting (or largely abstaining) makes me a lot more angry at the Sox.  Easier to shrug it off stoned out your gourd and eating sour patch kids.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You've been on point this week kudos.  I quit smoking weed for one of my resolutions and I've toked up probably 8 times in the last 50 odd days.  Coming from a daily heavy smoker this is a big change.  I feel a lot more clear headed but man quitting (or largely abstaining) makes me a lot more angry at the Sox.  Easier to shrug it off stoned out your gourd and eating sour patch kids.

I wasn't even going to be mad because deep down I never expected HarpChado. The manner in which they fucked this up is why I was angry. It showed me that nothing had changed since 2016. The same flawed processes/modus operandi remain in place. It is really hard to expect anything but complete and utter failure in this rebuild now. 

I haven't been this pissed about sports since I was like 12. As time goes on, it will get to depression because I now realize that it is unlikely they made a decent player eval on these guys. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wasn't even going to be mad because deep down I never expected HarpChado. The manner in which they fucked this up is why I was angry. It showed me that nothing had changed since 2016. The same flawed processes/modus operandi remain in place. It is really hard to expect anything but complete and utter failure in this rebuild now. 

I haven't been this pissed about sports since I was like 12. As time goes on, it will get to depression because I now realize that it is unlikely they made a decent player eval on these guys. 

Yea the moment you realize that the FO is objectively bad is a rough one.  There's no defending this FO anymore.  It's objectively bad.

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea the moment you realize that the FO is objectively bad is a rough one.  There's no defending this FO anymore.  It's objectively bad.

-I gave them the benefit of the doubt when they made the decision to rebuild. I gave them a clean slate. That slate has been reversed and I now hold 2013-16 against them as well. They have a long track record of failure. These schmucks make GarPax look semi competent. All they had to do was go to that magic number of $300M and if they struck out, I wouldn't have blamed them. There were multiple valid reasons for Machado to go to SD over the Sox, both baseball reasons and lifestyle reasons. All they had to do was offer 300M guaranteed and they wouldn't have egg on their faces. They failed miserably. As long as it wasn't about money, I could forgive them for striking out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

-I gave them the benefit of the doubt when they made the decision to rebuild. I gave them a clean slate. That slate has been reversed and I now hold 2013-16 against them as well. They have a long track record of failure. These schmucks make GarPax look semi competent. All they had to do was go to that magic number of $300M and if they struck out, I wouldn't have blamed them. There were multiple valid reasons for Machado to go to SD over the Sox, both baseball reasons and lifestyle reasons. All they had to do was offer 300M guaranteed and they wouldn't have egg on their faces. They failed miserably. As long as it wasn't about money, I could forgive them for striking out. 

If they had a good process and failed it's one thing, but as you noted: they had an awful process and expected to succeed.  It's hard to believe that in a multi-billion dollar industry such incompetence is on display.  When KW and Hahn come out and say they flatly expected to compete on anything other than AAV -- I'm flabbergasted.  Wait, what?  Hahn is UM and Ivy League educated.   KW has been in baseball since I was in diapers.  HOW CAN THEY BE SO NAIVE?

It doesn't give much of a good feeling going forward.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If they had a good process and failed it's one thing, but as you noted: they had an awful process and expected to succeed.  It's hard to believe that in a multi-billion dollar industry such incompetence is on display.  When KW and Hahn come out and say they flatly expected to compete on anything other than AAV -- I'm flabbergasted.  Wait, what?  Hahn is UM and Ivy League educated.   KW has been in baseball since I was in diapers.  HOW CAN THEY BE SO NAIVE?

It doesn't give much of a good feeling going forward.

I don't think they truly expected to compete. They were given this directive from JR and almost had Machado fall into their laps. If it is about money, it comes from JR. 

We all have to ignore the Sox while JR counts his money during the remainder of his time on this planet. 

Edited by Jack Parkman