RON IN 2019: Thinking of cheering for the Cubs next year

ron883

We should get a fund together, everybody chip in like $5 or whatever they can via GoFundMe and write an open letter to Reinsdorf in the Tribune or something. It'd be a grassroots SoxTalk moment. I have no idea how much an ad costs.. but you get the attention of the media, etc. Make it a big story.

JR will likely never change, but it would be interesting to see the reaction.

That point aside, I'll say as lifetime Sox fan like all of you, this is the lowest I've ever been. I am 32, so the 94 White Flag trade didn't sting, so this is the first real bad sting for me. It's not even that I think we can't still execute our plan without Machado, it still has a good chance, however how this whole thing was handled was as poor as possible in the best offseason possible. Everything lined up perfectly & then this. JR is going to JR. And I for one am not going to support it. Not like my $1,000 or whatever means a lot to JR or the Sox, but I'm done. I had bought 7,14,20 game plans from out of college and for basically the next 6-7 years. This year? No more. I plan on going to maybe 1-2 games this season via $6 stubhub tix and to eat and drink beforehand. I'll pick my games based on the other teams coming to town, not the Sox. I plan to watch very minimal games.. maybe a dozen tops rather than the 150 or so I used to. I'm voting with my eyeballs and $$. Even at that it wont matter... the marlins make a profit. It's all Tv contracts and revenue sharing. We're screwed regardless cause JR has no incentive to spend.

I also am done with an allegiance to the Sox only. Life is too short to watch Adam Engel be rolled out to me for 162 games. Or watch Banuelos take the ball every fifth day. There are too many other talented teams out there for me to watch the Sox day in and day out. So you can call me a fair weather fan or whatever & that's fine. I'll check back in 2020 or 2021 if this rebuild goes well and I'll probably start going to the park and watching again, but until that time I'm going to watch Astros, Rockies and Cardinals games. Much more enjoyable to watch those teams play good baseball than it is to watch the trash they roll out to Sox fans while they collect their bottom line profit margins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, who cares about Ron. He can watch whatever he wants... there's really nothing wrong with supporting the Cubs. As someone said, baseball is supposed ot be a break from real life.. bring back childhood memories, a break from reality. Fun.

The Sox have brought me almost no joy, and mostly anger and frustration for the past 3-5 years. It's not how its supposed to be. I've never actually paid for a ticket to Wrigley, and likely wouldn't, but I'll throw on a few games this year over Sox games. I just don't care anymore. It's about good baseball. We're really cheering for the piece of laundry they're wearing, not anything else. If Rizzo was a Sox we'd love him. If Abreu was a Cub we'd hate him. We already hate JR and the front office... so we're just cheering for laundry. This year that laundry might be red and blue and I don't care. (That being said I'd cheer for the pirates, brewers, cards, etc. every day over them).

• Thanks 1

I've been hovering over these forums the last 24 hours waiting to see if by some miracle the White Sox strike with Bryce Harper, but I'm 99.9% done with the White Sox.

I took a lot of time thinking about which franchise I should root for next.

I wanted a team in the NL (away from the Sox, fuck them). I prefer a west coast team so I can catch every game (I work til 8pm est and stay up until 2am est so it works). I wanted a team that has a front office that is not afraid to make the team better. Bonus points for a team that I have at least a small connection too.

The three teams that ended up for debate where the Chicago Cubs, San Diego Padres, and the Tampa Bay Rays. The Rays may seem like an odd choice, but they are/were my hometown for 13 years of my life. I have many Rays fans as friends and could go to their games with a 30 minute drive. Ultimately, I decided against the Rays for every bullet point reason I listed -- most importantly -- they don't spend money and I didn't want a White Sox situation part two. 

Between the Cubs and Padres, it was a tough choice -- I had some connections to the Cubs as I lived right next to Wrigley for a number of years. I don't agree with the philosophy espoused by many Chicago sports fans that it's either one team or the other. I look at that as primitive understanding and outdated line of thinking. I rooted for both Chicago teams in my time. It would be natural to go to the Cubs, but I decided against it as the Padres were too tantalizing of a team and location for me to root for. 

So, Ron, I suggest checking out the Padres. 

One of the best stadiums in the big leagues. The best weather in the USA. The team itself is filled with more young talent then even the White Sox while having an owner who is not afraid to pay up for talent (Hosmer, Machado, and even rumored to be IN on Harper). You can always catch their games since they start at 10pm EST. It's a thing of beauty! 

• Like 1

When I lived in Houston I jumped on the Astros bandwagon.. it was good timing since it was their WC season. But I'll say after watching their games and then turning on a Sox game? It's like night and day. To go Altuve, Bregman, Springer, Correa, Brantley, Gurriel, Reddick, Tyler White, Chirinos??? good lord. That's fun. Every inning has a chance to be a big one. Then they have that pitching staff... and Josh James coming up. Whitley too. McCullers goes down for the year & they don't even miss a beat. Kyle Tucker coming up... amazing in AAA, not so hot in majors.. so what do they do? Sign Brantley! It's just fun to see. They also have Derek Fischer who's been a beast in AAA and hasn't panned out in the OF.. and tony kemp. Basically their backups and AAA OF would be our starting 3 OF's without a doubt (until Eloy). That's how you run a team.  Instead the Sox run out Engel who we know in the best case scenario has no shot of being anything on an actual playoff team... Same goes for Delmonico and Palka and Yolmer and on and on and on.

Basically what I'm saying is Sox fans should turn on some other baseball and see how fun it actually can be. I love watching teams with talent. I'm still a Sox fan deep down, but no reason to be subjected to bad baseball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

Basically what I'm saying is Sox fans should turn on some other baseball and see how fun it actually can be. I love watching teams with talent. I'm still a Sox fan deep down, but no reason to be subjected to bad baseball.

One notion of backlash that I have gotten recently is the: "It's just a game" or "you care way too much."

I think that is patently false. The diehards are the ones who have some unshaken loyalty to any franchise. I'm not sure how any reasonable fan can defend the front office of the Bulls and White Sox over the past 10-15 years. I'm changing teams because I won't subject myself to this when I can find a new favorite team and be excited for baseball every night. :D

• Like 1

Exactly! I'm not less of a fan of Sox because I won't watch this product. It's also likely I will come back to them in 2020 ... or more likely 2021 ... but I don't need to support the Sox and JR through ticket sales, concession sales, and TV eyeballs for revenue dollars when he's not supporting me as a fan in any way. If nobody shows up during the bad times it will show the fans won't stand for this poor product. that's how changes are made. You don't earn any "brownies patch" for watching this terrible team. I feel like it's a pride thing for a lot of fans.. that they can "suffer" through the bad and it makes winning all the sweeter.. and I probably shared that sentiment up until I moved to Houston. It's like being in a bad relationship and then being in a good one. You don't know how bad the bad relationship was until you're in a good one. Then you go, that's crazy that I stuck around that long.

If something isn't making you happy, you change it. In this case, I get no good feelings when I think or watch the Sox, so therefore I'm changing it. I'll still be in the fray, but not to this unhealthy level where it determines my happiness on any given day.

14 hours ago, ron883 said:

The Sox organization disappoints year after year. They have failed their fanbase once again. I don't see anything changing in the near future. They got lucky in 2005. Jerry won't pay. We won't see a winner. If I live in this city, I might as well cheer for a team with a great FO and an owner willing to spend. I know it is blasphemy, and possibly a spur of the moment overreaction, but as of now I will be cheering for the Cubs and attending their games. This was the final straw. 

burn in hell.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, ron883 said:

The Sox organization disappoints year after year. They have failed their fanbase once again. I don't see anything changing in the near future. They got lucky in 2005. Jerry won't pay. We won't see a winner. If I live in this city, I might as well cheer for a team with a great FO and an owner willing to spend. I know it is blasphemy, and possibly a spur of the moment overreaction, but as of now I will be cheering for the Cubs and attending their games. This was the final straw. 

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, fairweather.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Cheering for another team while the Sox FO doesn't care about winning is not a big deal to me. It's a game at the end of the day. I enjoy baseball and just happen to live in Chicago. My ever living allegiance doesn't belong to the sox. 

27 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Cheering for another team while the Sox FO doesn't care about winning is not a big deal to me. It's a game at the end of the day. I enjoy baseball and just happen to live in Chicago. My ever living allegiance doesn't belong to the sox. 

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Ours obviously differ a great deal.

7 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

When I lived in Houston I jumped on the Astros bandwagon.. it was good timing since it was their WC season. But I'll say after watching their games and then turning on a Sox game? It's like night and day. To go Altuve, Bregman, Springer, Correa, Brantley, Gurriel, Reddick, Tyler White, Chirinos??? good lord. That's fun. Every inning has a chance to be a big one. Then they have that pitching staff... and Josh James coming up. Whitley too. McCullers goes down for the year & they don't even miss a beat. Kyle Tucker coming up... amazing in AAA, not so hot in majors.. so what do they do? Sign Brantley! It's just fun to see. They also have Derek Fischer who's been a beast in AAA and hasn't panned out in the OF.. and tony kemp. Basically their backups and AAA OF would be our starting 3 OF's without a doubt (until Eloy). That's how you run a team.  Instead the Sox run out Engel who we know in the best case scenario has no shot of being anything on an actual playoff team... Same goes for Delmonico and Palka and Yolmer and on and on and on.

I feel like I will watch a lot of Cardinals games this year.  Good team, interesting young talent, superstar.  Plus the cub hate is strong, and that makes me happy.  

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Last season I started watching the farm system.  It's a lot more fun.

Definitely exciting to see what we have coming up. I always try to make it out to Pawtucket, RI when the PawSox host the Charlotte Knights and these last two years have been a must. I've got that series circled in my calendar already.

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

I feel like I will watch a lot of Cardinals games this year.  Good team, interesting young talent, superstar.  Plus the cub hate is strong, and that makes me happy.  

I really think the Sox should get organization guys that work in the Cardinal system. 

6 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Yeah, I'm a fairweather fan while rooting for the team projected to go 80-82. It's about being able to attend games in my city without routinely being crushed by the organization. 

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Yeah, I'm a fairweather fan while rooting for the team projected to go 80-82. It's about being able to attend games in my city without routinely being crushed by the organization. 

Your logic is that you want to root for the other team because they're winning more consistently. That is the definition of fairweather fan.

45 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Your logic is that you want to root for the other team because they're winning more consistently. That is the definition of fairweather fan.

Wrong. Im rooting for another team because this organization is clearly not very concerned with winning. We have a cheap owner who is loyal to a fault and is all about making money. There is a reason there are so few White Sox fans. 

By your lousy definition, rooting for any other team would make me fairweather, since the White Sox are one of the worst run organizations in the league. They don't deserve my fandom.