Machado’s Missing $50 Million?

Moan4Yoan

Since the Sox weren’t expected to compete this year - with or without Machado - would anyone else rather have had Hahn not sign or trade for any of the guys in the list below this offseason and just give the extra $40 - $50 million in savings to Machado up front this year?

Afterall, Hahn spent $45 million this offseason on two mediocre #4 starters, two good relievers, and three bench bats.

Ivan Nova - $9 million (1 year)
Yonder Alonso - $9 million (likely 1 year)
Kelvin Herrera - $9 million (2 years)
Alex Colome - $7.325 million (2 years)
Jon Jay - $4 million (1 year)
James McCann - $2.5 million (1 year)

UPDATE:

Ervin Santana - $4.5 million (1 year) - IF he makes the team 🙄

Obviously, the Padres didn’t need to bring in friends and family (Alonso and Jay) to lure Machado in and both could have been replaced by Palka and Engel who were already on the current roster.  Nova could have been replaced by Covey and the eventual call-up of Cease.  If you don’t trade for Colome, you still have Narvaez as your backup catcher to Castillo and you don’t sign McCann.  You miss out on two really good relievers but you give more innings to the young Sox relievers.  Santana is a 36 year old starter who will try to stay healthy so he can be moved at the deadline for a warm body.  Santana could have been replaced by any warm body in the Sox minors.

For all of Hahn’s talk about not signing stop-gap players, that’s exactly what he has done this offseason.  He appears to have planned poorly for his end goal of Machado and made some truly awful moves in general and in hindsight.

I know I’d rather have one Machado this offseason than the mediocre list of players above.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Since the Sox weren’t expected to compete this year - with or without Machado - would anyone else rather have had Hahn not sign or trade for any of the guys in the list below this offseason and just give the extra $40 - $50 million in savings to Machado up front this year?

Afterall, Hahn spent $40+ million this offseason on a mediocre #4 starter, two good relievers, and three bench bats.

Ivan Nova - $9 million
Yonder Alonso - $9 million
Kelvin Herrera - $9 million
Alex Colome - $7.325 million
Jon Jay - $4 million
James McCann - $2.5 million

Obviously, the Padres didn’t need to bring in friends and family (Alonso and Jay) to lure Machado in and both could have been replaced by Palka and Engel who were already on the current roster.  Nova could have been replaced by Covey and the eventual call-up of Cease.  If you don’t trade for Colome, you still have Narvaez as your backup catcher to Castillo and you don’t sign McCann.  You miss out on two really good relievers but you give more innings to the young Sox relievers.

For all of Hahn’s talk about not signing stop-gap players, that’s exactly what he has done this offseason.  He appears to have planned poorly for his end goal of Machado and made some truly awful moves in general and in hindsight.

I know I’d rather have one Machado this offseason than the mediocre list of players above.

MIRED IN MEDIOCRITY

Unfortunately, we're not even anywhere close to the mediocrity at this point...we'd have to be at least at 75 wins.

23 minutes ago, pcq said:

I won't lament the loss of a ten year deal. Long-term it's not a smart plan. 

What is the smarter path then? If you’re answer is to heavily rely upon international signings and the draft, well, let’s start seeing the results. Also lets start raising our expectations. Our next pick in the draft? I’ll just assume he’ll be a perennial 6 WAR player. They are selecting third, and I don’t care about the crapshoot of the draft; it’s what has to be done.

What other path leads to a championship? We are not signing top tier FAs so forget about that. We are probably not making any more trades for prospects, so no more pipeline from outside the organization. If we’re expecting to strike gold with a few reclamation projects or rule 5 signings, good luck. 

We both desperately need our current crop of players to succeed, and have a steady supply of talent to supplement and sustain our (hopeful) playoff run. It was even more necessary after losing out on Machado. He could have made up for our lack of depth at the position. 

2 hours ago, pcq said:

I won't lament the loss of a ten year deal. Long-term it's not a smart plan. 

How can you not lament it?

Of the 6 players Hahn acquired this offseason, 4 (Nova, Alonso, Jay, and McCann) are likely gone after this expected non-competitive 2019 season.  The remaining 2 (Colome and Herrera) are likely gone after the 2020 season.  This is the very definition of the type of stop-gap players Hahn said he wouldn’t be acquiring.

All of the money ($40+ million, and add in a little more to hit $50 million) Hahn spent on these guys could have been thrown at Machado up-front or in the form of a signing bonus who more than likely makes the Sox more competitive in 2019 and going forward than this entire collection of mediocrity Hahn acquired this offseason who will impact 2019 and 2020 only.

its the same old front office mentality from the Kenny GM days that Hahn ascribes to as well that they can potentially build a winner with a bunch of cheap retreads and hope for the best because Kenny hit the jackpot one offseason in 2005.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Thanks 1

They had the $50 million.  They didn't not guarantee the money because they spent $40 million on scrubs.  They didn't guarantee the money because they're cheap, and they got caught with their pants down.  They had the money to sign Machado, and they have the money to sign Harper.  If they don't learn from this and spend it on Harper, they will never be taken seriously in pursuit of a premium free agent.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

They had the $50 million.  They didn't not guarantee the money because they spent $40 million on scrubs.  They didn't guarantee the money because they're cheap, and they got caught with their pants down.  They had the money to sign Machado, and they have the money to sign Harper.  If they don't learn from this and spend it on Harper, they will never be taken seriously in pursuit of a premium free agent.

Exactly.

Hahn, you failed miserably with Machado who would have fit the team well.  But you still have a massive hole in RF.  You said the money will still be spent.  Do the right thing and spend the money you have available on the other future Hall of Famer.  There will not be another 26 year old Hall of Fame talent available on the free agent market any time soon.

Edited by Harper2Sox

9 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Afterall, Hahn spent $40+ million this offseason on a mediocre #4 starter, two good relievers, and three bench bats.

Ivan Nova - $9 million
Yonder Alonso - $9 million
Kelvin Herrera - $9 million
Alex Colome - $7.325 million
Jon Jay - $4 million
James McCann - $2.5 million

This could be Rick Hahn’s offseason when all is said and done and he actually had the nerve to call it a good one.  I’ve been one of the more supportive posters of Rick Hahn on here, but dude is either incompetent or a total fucking fraud.  I don’t even dislike all those players, but when viewed in aggregate it’s an absolute embarrassment.

I am happy with the two bull-pen guys. And really, Nova, at worst, has to be less bad than Shields or Covey. Any money spent so I don't have to watch Covey start a game is money well spent as far as I'm concerned. 

But as for the Machado buddies, it was embarrassing to get them in the first place (embarrassing bordering on pathetic). So I say, get rid of those two as quickly, quickly as possible. They piss me off that they're here; just the mention of their names angers me. Plus, rationally, they have no point to being on the team. All they do is take bats away from younger players. 

If I were in charge of the White Sox, I would tell those two to not even show up at spring training any longer. We'll try to move you as soon and cheaply as we can. 

Just now, bmags said:

By contrast, I may have gotten math wrong, minnesota twins signed marwin gonzalez, nelson cruz, cj cron, jonathan schoop martin perez and blake parker for 43 million.

I would guarantee they get more production out of that group.

But they’re not going to have the dreaded “superpen” to hold down leads...oops, our offense as currently constructed and starting pitching is so so bad we’ll rarely have any leads to close out in the first place.  Is this in actuality a more convoluted tanking strategy for Top 3 draft position in 2020 again?    

BUT WE SPENT $50 million improving this teams, why do the fans not appreciate it?  

I posted this in another thread. I wouldn't necessary assume that this leaked $250M guaranteed offer was authentic. There's no documentation or transparency at all in the FA negotiation process, yet people take leaked info like this at face value for some reason. Consider the possibilities:

(1) The Sox's front office leaked a fabricated $250M guaranteed + $70M possible offer to try to convince the fans that they really, really tried.

(2) Machado's agent leaked a fabricated $250M guaranteed + $70M possible offer to try to get other teams to up their offers.

(3) The Sox's front office made a legit $250M guaranteed + $70M possible offer after Machado's agent revealed San Diego's $300M guaranteed offer, knowing full well that Machado would reject $50M less in guaranteed money.

Now consider that JR has never given a contract greater than $68M to a single player. But now we're supposed to believe that the Sox made a serious $250M offer? That doesn't make sense to me. What makes more sense is JR spending $50M+ on past-their-prime players to round out the 2019 roster. And that's exactly what he's done.

1 minute ago, Black_Jack29 said:

I posted this in another thread. I wouldn't necessary assume that this leaked $250M guaranteed offer was authentic. There's no documentation or transparency at all in the FA negotiation process, yet people take leaked info like this at face value for some reason. Consider the possibilities:

(1) The Sox's front office leaked a fabricated $250M guaranteed + $70M possible offer to try to convince the fans that they really, really tried.

(2) Machado's agent leaked a fabricated $250M guaranteed + $70M possible offer to try to get other teams to up their offers.

(3) The Sox's front office made a legit $250M guaranteed + $70M possible offer after Machado's agent revealed San Diego's $300M guaranteed offer, knowing full well that Machado would reject $50M less in guaranteed money.

Now consider that JR has never given a contract greater than $68M to a single player. But now we're supposed to believe that the Sox made a serious $250M offer? That doesn't make sense to me. What makes more sense is JR spending $50M+ on past-their-prime players to round out the 2019 roster. And that's exactly what he's done.

Another article from a local Chicago writer today said it was up to $350 million with incentives included, lol...