Video Game Thread

TheTruth05

17 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Just skip the show. Not enough changes to justify year-to-year purchases. Plus, people do a pretty good job of keeping rosters current in the previous year's version. By not getting it last year or this year, that's what, $104 (I take advantage of this rewards system at Best Buy my friends have where you get 20% off games) back in my pocket?

I didn't buy it last year, so this is my year to do it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys I just discovered The Golf Club 2019 and my life is changed. Finally a decent golf game since the TW series came to a close (don't come at me with Rory, that game is hot trash).

Why should you try TGC2019?

1. Fully customizable characters
  2. Massive online community
  3. Said online community creates tons of real courses
  4. You can do careers with 4-day tournaments and custom outfits on each day of those tournaments
  5. You can join online "leagues"
  6. The massive online community likes to provide real stakes for tournaments
  7. It's fun as fuck.

The end.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:51 PM, Steve9347 said:

Guys I just discovered The Golf Club 2019 and my life is changed. Finally a decent golf game since the TW series came to a close (don't come at me with Rory, that game is hot trash).

Why should you try TGC2019?

1. Fully customizable characters
  2. Massive online community
  3. Said online community creates tons of real courses
  4. You can do careers with 4-day tournaments and custom outfits on each day of those tournaments
  5. You can join online "leagues"
  6. The massive online community likes to provide real stakes for tournaments
  7. It's fun as fuck.

The end.

I have both TGC and TGC 2 and it's insanely hard. You mostly shoot scores you would in real life. That said, I'm waiting for TGC 2020 and hopefully more real courses. Is this one as hard as the first two? In those games if you shoot 75 on a par 72 that's really good, and the rough and bunkers are way too penal. If you miss the fairway it's impossible to get a GIR, or even hit a straight shot. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

21 hours ago, danman31 said:

I keep hearing that. I will have to pick this one up soon. It reminds me of Infamous based on the gameplay I've seen.

Anyone who is currently or in the process of building a gaming PC can get Control and the new Wolfenstein games as free downloads if you buy a new Nvidia card.  I recently built two gaming computers for my two kids with Nvidia cards (GTX 2070’s) and noticed these free games came with the GPU’s.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

• 3 weeks later...

MLB 19 The Show will be one of the FREE games of October for PS+ members. Pretty stoked. I haven't bought The Show since 2017, partly because they just don't improve enough anymore and also because I was too disgusted with the Sox off-season this year to want to get that brand new roster with Yonder fucking Alonso on it.

I'll be buying MLB 20 The Show next March though, so this will get me through the winter.

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

MLB 19 The Show will be one of the FREE games of October for PS+ members. Pretty stoked. I haven't bought The Show since 2017, partly because they just don't improve enough anymore and also because I was too disgusted with the Sox off-season this year to want to get that brand new roster with Yonder fucking Alonso on it.

I'll be buying MLB 20 The Show next March though, so this will get me through the winter.

A-fucking-men. I felt the exact same way. Both of your reasons. Haven't gotten it since 2017 either and it feels good having the extra ~$130 in the pocket (by not buying 18 or 19). I will also be buying next year.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:09 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The other game is The Last of Remastered.  That’s an insane PS+ month.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 11:09 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm not buying sports video games every year anymore. I bought Show, Madden and NHL this year and I've decided that it's going to be an every couple years thing and I'm going to stagger them. Next year madden, in 2021 the Show, in 2022 NHL and so on. I don't play enough to justify the cost every year. With the Show and Madden they do a good job in the Roster Vault. I'm really bummed NHL doesn't have one because that's the one I'd enjoy having a roster vault the most in. I'm a sucker for hockey nostalgia. I MIGHT continue to buy NHL every year because I have a metric ton of fun with those. If I was able to drive and work this fall/winter, I wouldn't have purchased Madden and NHL. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

I was using an ancient (by PC hardware standards) AMD CPU (it was a FX-8320 I think) with a GTX 1070 and I finally quit putting it off and properly upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3800x. Man, I had no idea how much I was bottlenecking my card, I can run just about anything in 1440p at the highest settings at ~70 FPS (except stuff that's really demanding, like Quantum Break or Forza, those are low 50s unless I step it down a little).

I want to upgrade my card but it's not a pressing need at the moment especially considering the stuff in the range to make the performance bump worth it for me is at least like $700

Edited by lostfan

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/12/2019 at 10:42 PM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Must.....play.....Red Dead.

It's been at least a month since I played, and with The Show coming out, I worry I'll never finish it.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:30 AM, soxfan2014 said:

Just skip the show. Not enough changes to justify year-to-year purchases. Plus, people do a pretty good job of keeping rosters current in the previous year's version. By not getting it last year or this year, that's what, $104 (I take advantage of this rewards system at Best Buy my friends have where you get 20% off games) back in my pocket?

The Show 19 is free in October if you have PS Plus

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Oh shit, it is?  Thanks for the heads up! 😂

PS: ;) Check about 5 posts above yours. :) 

LOL I didn't even see that. I just logged onto PSN last night and saw that and remembered the discussion from months ago

I fucked both my thumbs up late June at work and have been off since.  Have been playing heavy modded X-Com 2, Total War: Warhammer 2, and Total War: 3 Kingdoms since I couldn't do any fast twitch games with a cast on one hand and brace on the other.

What is out console wise right now?  Anybody play the new Borderlands?  I was given the blessing to start lifting, shooting, and playing video games again last week lol.

So I just recently found out that if you have a PS4 that's no longer operable (like it won't even boot up or turn on or whatever) and you don't have any of your game data saved anywhere else, you are completely and utterly fucked.

If you take the HDD out of the old PS4 and put it into a new PS4, it will format it. You can't plug it into a computer and copy the data that way either because it's encrypted. Literally the only way to get the data is through the PS4 itself.

So, as a PSA to any fellow gamers out there, back up your data to an external drive or to the cloud (via the PSN) on a regular basis.

• 3 months later...

Stardew Valley is actually a pretty huge game. I started playing it in my car last night and was surprised how big the world is and all the in depth gameplay mechanics and level up system. I honestly thought it was a super basic farming game. I might be spending a lot of time in my garage sitting in the car playing it. 😂😂

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Stardew Valley is actually a pretty huge game. I started playing it in my car last night and was surprised how big the world is and all the in depth gameplay mechanics and level up system. I honestly thought it was a super basic farming game. I might be spending a lot of time in my garage sitting in the car playing it. 😂😂

What am I missing with the car angle?

18 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I also started playing recently and it is pretty fun.   The town just dropped a dog off on my porch lol

On 1/14/2020 at 2:20 PM, ron883 said:

Escape from Tarkov absolutely nailed the online FPS/RPG/PvP style shooter. It is incredibly addicting and insanely fun. Haven't been hooked to a game like this in a while. 

This came up in a White Sox thread  and was derailing the topic.

I am about to buy the $140 version and not sure if I'll regret it.  I have a gaming PC but almost never play shooters on it since I exclusively play shooters on console because that's my comfort.  I only play RPGs and strategy games on PC.  Idk how I can't buy it though, the game looks fantastic and has a shit ton of elements I enjoy in PC games.  The learning curve seems really high in EFT and the game is already pretty hardcore.  My brother has been playing it since it launched in like 2017 and told me this better be the only game I play if I buy it lol.

Goodbye heavy modded XCom 2 and TW:Warhammer 2.

Edited by BackDoorBreach