Video Game Thread

TheTruth05

On 1/16/2020 at 11:37 PM, BackDoorBreach said:

This came up in a White Sox thread  and was derailing the topic.

I am about to buy the $140 version and not sure if I'll regret it.  I have a gaming PC but almost never play shooters on it since I exclusively play shooters on console because that's my comfort.  I only play RPGs and strategy games on PC.  Idk how I can't buy it though, the game looks fantastic and has a shit ton of elements I enjoy in PC games.  The learning curve seems really high in EFT and the game is already pretty hardcore.  My brother has been playing it since it launched in like 2017 and told me this better be the only game I play if I buy it lol.

Goodbye heavy modded XCom 2 and TW:Warhammer 2.

Yeah, it's really good stuff. I got into from watching others stream as well. I haven't really played a PC FPS consistently since TF2, and before that CS 1.6 and DoD. 

I love the RPG aspect of it. I'm still getting clowned on by guys with better aim and ridiculous kits. 

On 1/16/2020 at 10:00 AM, Kyyle23 said:

I also started playing recently and it is pretty fun.   The town just dropped a dog off on my porch lol

Oh fuck....now I need the dog. The only gameplay mechanic I hate so far is that places have business hours and that when my guy is tired I have to walk all the way back home. Does he eventually get more places to sleep or a bike to ride or a quick travel option? 

57 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Oh fuck....now I need the dog. The only gameplay mechanic I hate so far is that places have business hours and that when my guy is tired I have to walk all the way back home. Does he eventually get more places to sleep or a bike to ride or a quick travel option? 

If there is a quick travel option I haven't found it yet.  Multiple times I have passed out on the way home from the mine, and they charge me money to pick my ass up and put me in my bed lol

On 1/18/2020 at 6:02 PM, Kyyle23 said:

If there is a quick travel option I haven't found it yet.  Multiple times I have passed out on the way home from the mine, and they charge me money to pick my ass up and put me in my bed lol

Yup. And I just played tonight and someone robbed me after I passed out. They keep telling me to go buy a backpack, but a backpack is $2000 and I have $405. lmao. No idea how to make money. Finally figured out how to plant crops, but then a crow destroyed one, and then grass overgrew a couple of others. I honestly think this game is way too deep. I am a bit overwhelmed at how many game systems and how long things are going to take to get going.

47 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yup. And I just played tonight and someone robbed me after I passed out. They keep telling me to go buy a backpack, but a backpack is $2000 and I have $405. lmao. No idea how to make money. Finally figured out how to plant crops, but then a crow destroyed one, and then grass overgrew a couple of others. I honestly think this game is way too deep. I am a bit overwhelmed at how many game systems and how long things are going to take to get going.

Yea you have to start planting crops ASAP, if you craft a scarecrow you won't deal with crows too much.   The mine I a good place to make money also, as well as fishing. It takes a while to get going,no doubt about that

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea you have to start planting crops ASAP, if you craft a scarecrow you won't deal with crows too much.   The mine I a good place to make money also, as well as fishing. It takes a while to get going,no doubt about that

I went fishing and had no idea how to catch a fish. There seem to be no tutorial, which is weird because I definitely would not have chose to deactive tutorial mode. I get the fish to apparently bite, but no idea how to reel it in. I admit, I was using my phone to watch the NFC Championship game at the same time though, so I wasn't able to just google it while I was playing. I eventually just gave up and went back to my crops.

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I went fishing and had no idea how to catch a fish. There seem to be no tutorial, which is weird because I definitely would not have chose to deactive tutorial mode. I get the fish to apparently bite, but no idea how to reel it in. I admit, I was using my phone to watch the NFC Championship game at the same time though, so I wasn't able to just google it while I was playing. I eventually just gave up and went back to my crops.

The same button for casting is what you use to catch.  You throw the lure out and as soon as you see the exclamation point above your characters head, you catch the fish.  Once that happens you will see "HIT" appear on the screen, and a meter shows up.   After that it is a bit trickier, there is a meter with a fish on it, and a green box.  You have to keep the green box on the fish for a little while by once again using your catch/cast button 

I'm currently playing South Park Stick of Truth on the PS4. I've already played Fractured But Whole and I'm starting to realize that having played the second one first really makes the problems with the first game stand out that much more.

I saw a video where the SP guys literally went on Youtube and watched people play their first game and wrote down all the good/bad things about and then tried to fix them in the second one.

I don't like the fact that you only get one buddy to fight along side you at any given time. (in the second one you get multiple buddies in every fight).

I also hate the fact that there are certain collectibles or actions that are required for some trophies in the game but if you don't get them in a specific mission, you can't go back and get them later.

I also think the battle system is overly complex. I think they simplified it a little bit in the second game.

Overall it's still a fun game and pretty short storyline. For someone like me that only gets a few hours a week to play I can complete it pretty quickly. Unlike something like RDR2 which took me months to finish.

2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

I'm currently playing South Park Stick of Truth on the PS4. I've already played Fractured But Whole and I'm starting to realize that having played the second one first really makes the problems with the first game stand out that much more.

I saw a video where the SP guys literally went on Youtube and watched people play their first game and wrote down all the good/bad things about and then tried to fix them in the second one.

I don't like the fact that you only get one buddy to fight along side you at any given time. (in the second one you get multiple buddies in every fight).

I also hate the fact that there are certain collectibles or actions that are required for some trophies in the game but if you don't get them in a specific mission, you can't go back and get them later.

I also think the battle system is overly complex. I think they simplified it a little bit in the second game.

Overall it's still a fun game and pretty short storyline. For someone like me that only gets a few hours a week to play I can complete it pretty quickly. Unlike something like RDR2 which took me months to finish.

Both SoT and FBW are great games. I hope they do another.

18 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The same button for casting is what you use to catch.  You throw the lure out and as soon as you see the exclamation point above your characters head, you catch the fish.  Once that happens you will see "HIT" appear on the screen, and a meter shows up.   After that it is a bit trickier, there is a meter with a fish on it, and a green box.  You have to keep the green box on the fish for a little while by once again using your catch/cast button 

Holy shit. That looks far harder than normal video game fishing. Plus, I am not playing with any buttons. All I have is a touchscreen. I was able to get the bobber to vibrate and wiggle like something was nibbling, but I never got any sort of prompt beyond that like in the video. No exclamation points, no "HIT" message. Just endless vibrating of the bobber incrementally. 

Hmmm

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Holy shit. That looks far harder than normal video game fishing. Plus, I am not playing with any buttons. All I have is a touchscreen. I was able to get the bobber to vibrate and wiggle like something was nibbling, but I never got any sort of prompt beyond that like in the video. No exclamation points, no "HIT" message. Just endless vibrating of the bobber incrementally. 

Hmmm

When it is buzzing a fish is messing with it and you need to set the hook.  Once you do that you get a "hit" notification and start catching the fish.  It's really not that hard after the first couple tries to get used to it.  Just not sure how to tell you to catch it since it is all touchscreen for you 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:34 AM, Kyyle23 said:

When it is buzzing a fish is messing with it and you need to set the hook.  Once you do that you get a "hit" notification and start catching the fish.  It's really not that hard after the first couple tries to get used to it.  Just not sure how to tell you to catch it since it is all touchscreen for you 

Yeah I have no idea how to set the hook then. I have tried tapping the bobber when it shakes, or tapping my guy, or swiping up, but all that happens is he yanks the line back up. Maybe I'll take a video of it and tweet it at you. I looked on YouTube for a tutorial for the Tesla version and I couldn't find one

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...unfortunately for you most people that own a Tesla would simply buy a Nintendo Switch if they were really that interested in playing Stardew Valley.

Nintendo Switch is cool, and something I would totally be all over as a kid, but I just don't play games enough anymore, especially on the go. My fiance actually tried buying me one for either Xmas or my birthday last year and I told her I didn't want it. 😂 I honestly can't even remember what I got instead. 🤦

15 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Nintendo Switch is cool, and something I would totally be all over as a kid, but I just don't play games enough anymore, especially on the go. My fiance actually tried buying me one for either Xmas or my birthday last year and I told her I didn't want it. 😂 I honestly can't even remember what I got instead. 🤦

Man I'm right there with you. So many cool games come out nowadays that I know I shouldn't buy due to new games from the last couple years still being unopened in my collection lol I basically can only do story games that only really require one play through (or eventually, play again). Resident Evil 3 Remake and Last of Us 2 are probably the next games I buy and that will be it for a while.

5 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Man I'm right there with you. So many cool games come out nowadays that I know I shouldn't buy due to new games from the last couple years still being unopened in my collection lol I basically can only do story games that only really require one play through (or eventually, play again). Resident Evil 3 Remake and Last of Us 2 are probably the next games I buy and that will be it for a while.

I’m mostly in the same boat, but I will say you’d be surprised how much more gaming you are able to do with a portable system as an adult / professional.

I've been playing Dead Rising 4 and having a blast with it but also finding it extremely frustrating because I'm the type of gamer that has to check out EVERYTHING. There are a million different little things to pick up (guns, weapons, clothing, food items) and they are laying around all over the place but my character can only carry so much stuff. 

Then there are all the different things that can be combined into something else. I've been playing the game for probably 15 or 20 hours now and I'm only like 33% of the way through it.

It's funny because I'll go do something and tell myself "OK, I'll just do this one thing and then I'll quit for the night." Then that one thing lead to 4 other things and the next thing I know it's like midnight.

30 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I've been playing Dead Rising 4 and having a blast with it but also finding it extremely frustrating because I'm the type of gamer that has to check out EVERYTHING. There are a million different little things to pick up (guns, weapons, clothing, food items) and they are laying around all over the place but my character can only carry so much stuff. 

Then there are all the different things that can be combined into something else. I've been playing the game for probably 15 or 20 hours now and I'm only like 33% of the way through it.

It's funny because I'll go do something and tell myself "OK, I'll just do this one thing and then I'll quit for the night." Then that one thing lead to 4 other things and the next thing I know it's like midnight.

I mean, what games did you play before?  That's been pretty much how every RPG/Strategy/Survival game has been for like 10 years.

I just finished up Stick of Truth and I played Fractured But Whole before that. Plus I've been playing my backlog of the Kingdom Hearts games so I can finally get around to KH3. I've also played games like Uncharted and The Last of Us.

Sure they all had collectibles and stuff but Dead Rising just ratchets that up X100. You can go into a store in the mall and there's like 10 things on one single shelf that you can interact with.

It's not a knock against the game though. I'm really enjoying it.

Rimworld.  Before that slay the spire but I quit once I got A15 on Silent and and beat the heart.  I don't think I have the fortitude to try and get the A20 achievement, which I think is like .01% of players.  Getting A15 was hard enough.

But yea I'm obsessed with Rimworld right now.  I've rarely seen a game with such a high skill cap that is also so incredibly relaxing.   It's not a perfect simulation by any stretch but it simulates enough different systems all at once that I feel completely IMMERSED in the universe which honestly when you're as old as I am, in my 30s now, doesn't happen too often.  I don't even need to get stoned to lose myself in it for hours, which is fairly incredible.

I saw FM 20 is on sale for $35 on steam this week.  Might pick it up but will probably wait until it's $19.99 on summer sale in anticipation of FM 21 next fall.  I"m currently still rocking FM13 and have held off because the last 6 haven't gotten great reviews but '20 got really good reviews and apparently they finally fixed some of the match engine stuff.

That's about it for now, quit playing Rust after like 4K hours.  It just got completely boring to me which hey, at 4K hours that's to be expected.  I played it for the better part of 6 years, which seems incredibly as it was still in "Legacy" at that point and now it's a completely different (but at the same time mostly the same) game.  Certainly a helluva game and probably the best "state of nature" simulator on the market.  If you want to compete against other ruthless humans that's the game for you.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:37 PM, BackDoorBreach said:

This came up in a White Sox thread  and was derailing the topic.

I am about to buy the $140 version and not sure if I'll regret it.  I have a gaming PC but almost never play shooters on it since I exclusively play shooters on console because that's my comfort.  I only play RPGs and strategy games on PC.  Idk how I can't buy it though, the game looks fantastic and has a shit ton of elements I enjoy in PC games.  The learning curve seems really high in EFT and the game is already pretty hardcore.  My brother has been playing it since it launched in like 2017 and told me this better be the only game I play if I buy it lol.

Goodbye heavy modded XCom 2 and TW:Warhammer 2.

Who do you usually watch btw? Shroud is absolutely filthy at it of course. Drdisrespect is always a good watch.

42 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Who do you usually watch btw? Shroud is absolutely filthy at it of course. Drdisrespect is always a good watch.

Summit usually just for memes and he's decent enough. Landmark is absolutely savage but he only gets like 500 viewers on his stream and he pretty much only plays Labs from what I've seen. He's probably better or on par with Shroud.  I only see Shroud though when he plays with Summit since Shroud plays on Mixer instead of Twitch now.